Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default The Wonder Woman Toy Thread

I seem to recall back before this message board was relaunched/tweaked, we had a thread just talking about our favourite Wonder Woman action figures...so let's get back to that! Do you have any Wonder Woman figures? Which ones are your favourite? Do you have them displayed on a shelf or do you keep them in box? Did you get a really good deal on one...or get really ripped off on another?

Back on the old thread someone awesome even posted a group shot of Wonder Woman with all of her various villains that had been released over the years, by various manufacturers... I thought I saved it somewhere but now I can't find it. Maybe it was Experience The Wonder who put that together? Whoever it was, it was cool and I'd love to see it again!

What's amazing to me that we still haven't seen some classic characters released. Outside of the Mego dolls and the line of figures based on the Wonder Woman movie, they haven't made a Hippolyta figure with dark hair. Isn't that weird?

Considering how much she dominated the book through the 80s, 90s and early 2000s, I assumed there would have been a George Perez Circe figure...but nope. They made a figure of her during the Dodson's tenure on the book, when she had pink hair, but that look isn't exactly classic now. I wonder what the chances are of them ever going back to those Perez designs?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mattel never made a 5 or 6 inch Angle Man, did they? I think they made one for the Justice League Unlimited line based on his animated appearance though.

I'm really glad Mattel made a Doctor Psycho figure - the first! - but now that I have him, he doesn't so much look like Doctor Psycho as a tiny little magician waving his hands in the air LOL.

I think we can all agree that Mattel's Lynda Carter Wonder Woman action figure was long overdue and executed pretty well. She's currently the only figure I have on display, it would be nice to have some others to go with her.

So what do you have? Feel free to share pics!

I have a nice little WW collection, the Dodson figure is my favorite. Beautiful figure and one of my favorite costumes.

2236A7F3-7324-443B-9EFD-ABF529889AD9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    Beautiful figure and one of my favorite costumes.

Quoted for truth!

I love that statue!

There's a fabulous website called Experience The Wonder that shows basically all of the new WW toys. There's an "Other Characters" section that shows WW's supporting cast and villains merch, too.

Lego just released a "DC Comics Minifigures" mystery bag set which includes Golden Age Wonder Woman and Cheetah which are super cute.

Incredible Member

I've been looking for a nice Perez Cheetah figure and saw on EtW that the DC Universe Classics line had one...that was promptly pulled from stores for being "nude" and is now super rare.

Of course it is. Just my luck.

Billee0918, I also really like that figure, but her pose with the hip to one side kind of limits her overall posability. The same thing happened with the Phil Jimenez WW figure. It's a shame because those are probably, I think, the two best looking ones ever made, and yet you really can't do much with them because they come preposed.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 02-09-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Incredible Member

It's a shame that the switch from Mattel to McFarlane happened in the lead up to the release of Wonder Woman 1984.

Rumours are we're only going to get a "standard costume" and "screaming golden chicken armour" Wonder Woman for WW84. No Cheetah. No Barbara. No Steve Trevor. No Amazons.

I am interested to see how McFarlane do with capturing Gal Gadot's likeness. Although, the single "live action" figure they included in their first wave (TV's Green Arrow) had an incredibly soft likeness to Stephen Amell.

My favourite Wonder Woman of all time, was probably the DC Direct Alex Ross version (standard costume). But, the proportions were pretty crazy, especially the tiny waist.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    I have a nice little WW collection, the Dodson figure is my favorite. Beautiful figure and one of my favorite costumes.

This is my favorite WW figure as well. I wish DC Direct would have made some villains from Dodson's designs like Osira, Queen Clea, The Mask, & Kung.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Amazing Member

I usually don't buy action figures, but recently stumbled upon a WW figure that had been sitting in a comic shop for some time. It's one of the very few figures that shows her with pants, back from the New52 age (picture stolen from amazon.com):

71-Gd5sM0LL._AC_SY879_.jpg

It was the cheapest figure they had in the shop, which immediately reminded me of that story by Jodi Picoult (? - I'm too lazy to look it up now) where Tom Tresser (aka 'Nemesis') and Diana (aka 'Agent Diana Prince') go shopping. Tom wants to buy a WW action figure for a kid. They find out that all WW items are 50% off; and when Diana asks why, the sales clerk tells her "Wonder Woman isn't cool". To which she replies "saving the world every month doesn't make her cool?"

Seems that WW really wasn't cool, at least in this shop... so I bought it.

Incredible Member

I completely understand why people would want to see a feminist heroine like Wonder Woman wearing pants. It is certainly more practical, I just haven't seen any designs that actually feel like 'Wonder Woman' to me and include pants.

Here's a question what Wonder Woman toys would you like to see out there? Is there something you wish they would make?

I'm personally really frustrated that Todd McFarlane has switched to a 7-inch scale because I thought there was still plenty of potential characters to make in a 6-inch scale, including Hippolyta and Circe (yes, I'm being a broken record).

I'm kind of disappointed the Wonder Woman Bloodlines movie didn't get any action figure tie-ins, because even though I still haven't seen it, the design for Silver Swan/Vanessa looks pretty good. I think it would translate well to plastic...

1967 - 1968 IDEAL'S Comic Heroines; Super Queens line that ran concurrent to Captain Action.

Yes she came with a shield!
    Last edited by Güicho; 03-10-2020 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I completely understand why people would want to see a feminist heroine like Wonder Woman wearing pants. It is certainly more practical, I just haven't seen any designs that actually feel like 'Wonder Woman' to me and include pants.

Here's a question what Wonder Woman toys would you like to see out there? Is there something you wish they would make?

I'm personally really frustrated that Todd McFarlane has switched to a 7-inch scale because I thought there was still plenty of potential characters to make in a 6-inch scale, including Hippolyta and Circe (yes, I'm being a broken record).

I'm kind of disappointed the Wonder Woman Bloodlines movie didn't get any action figure tie-ins, because even though I still haven't seen it, the design for Silver Swan/Vanessa looks pretty good. I think it would translate well to plastic...
    I want to see Polly Pocket-esque playsets of Themyscira, the Invisible Jet, evil caves, etc. More akin to Mighty Max, I guess, since it's more adventure-y than Polly Pocket.

Also, more Legos. I love all the different Wonder Womans and Cheetahs we get, but my god I need other characters. Giganta, Dr. Poison, Circe... gimme 'em all!