Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Y'know, one of the great things about the Ip Man series of films are the ancillary masters. These are the sifus who are initially rivals to Ip Man, but eventually become respected allies only for them to be killed or beaten afterwards. Honestly, I really like these characters, maybe moreso than Ip Man himself!

One of my favorite masters has to be Master Liu from the first Ip Man. The guy is always just a step below Ip Man but always gives one hell of a fight. Though I know how it ends, I always root for Master Liu whenever he goes up against the Northerner in this scene:

"I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Aw man, I can't pick between some of those early Jet Li/Fong Sai Yuk fight scenes in all those 90's movies.

Some of those Jackie Chan Drunken Master 2 fight scenes looked incredibly dangerous/painful to pull off. I need to watch those movies again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    As for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, that fight scene between the Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi is still amazing. A little humorous, but honestly made me fall in love with Zhang Ziyi a bit more.
    I think the two things I adore most about it are the emotional significance of the fight, and the fact Michelle Yoeh goes through every weapon known to exists to fight Zhang Ziyi. That's just cool (and very informative on how those weapons would be used).

As for the Sword in the Stone, love that scene too! Each wizard is one-upping the other until Merlin uses the smallest yet deadliest of organisms to take Mim down. Quite a contrast of the weak taking down the strong!
    It's such a fun way to use magic. I have to say, for magic battles I also love Dumbledore vs. Voldemort; it reminded me of the three fairies in Sleep Beauty (1959), how it's not about throwing fire balls, but how you convert energy from one thing into the next.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Some of those Jackie Chan Drunken Master 2 fight scenes looked incredibly dangerous/painful to pull off. I need to watch those movies again.
    Drunken Master 2/Legend of Drunken Master was my jam back in the day. Watched the DVD nearly every Friday night in high school. I liked how Jackie focused on old school Kung Fu in those fights. And yeah, the REAL metal weights and the fire stunts were pretty damn dangerous. So of course Jackie did multiple takes with them. . (I'll be sure to post those later. Just want to mention new material before then.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I think the two things I adore most about it are the emotional significance of the fight, and the fact Michelle Yoeh goes through every weapon known to exists to fight Zhang Ziyi. That's just cool (and very informative on how those weapons would be used).
    I think one of the YouTube comments on that fight describes how every weapon Michelle used was a counter to the Zhang's straight sword. Lots of thinking went into it.
    "I am a man of peace."

Been watching repeatedly this fight scene from Avengers: Infinity War. The Iron Man part of the scene is sweet, but I prefer more the Dr. Strange portion. All of those moments where Strange used his spells, like the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, just came to life on the big screen here.

"I am a man of peace."

Don't know if I did or not, but I'm guessing I stood up and cheered when I saw Cap use mjolnir against Thanos:

Shades of that classic Infinity Gauntlet scene between the two mixed in with a much needed dose of fanboy correction.
    "I am a man of peace."

Kingsman: the Secret Service Colin Firth vs everybody in that church. Definitely the standout scene in that movie.

My favourite fight scene from Angel - Angel vs Faith in Five By Five

It's great because of the emotional investment of the audience at that point - there are lots of technically much better fight-scenes in films which still don't hit as hard, because they have failed to make you care about the characters enough. I'd always liked David Boreanaz's Angel, and Elisa Dushku has never had another character to play as interesting as troubled vampire slayer Faith, and she really knocked it out the park with this episode, imo.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    Its a good one, but I liked the one in Under Control more...

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It's great because of the emotional investment of the audience at that point - there are lots of technically much better fight-scenes in films which still don't hit as hard, because they have failed to make you care about the characters enough. I'd always liked David Boreanaz's Angel, and Elisa Dushku has never had another character to play as interesting as troubled vampire slayer Faith, and she really knocked it out the park with this episode, imo.
    Nice description. It was cool how Angel sought to redeem and forgive Faith, which did pay off eventually. Faith was loyal to Angel especially with the arrival of the Beast.

Speaking of which, Angel and his crew vs. the Beast was my favorite fight scene in that series. That was when I started to dig Wesley. Because, y'know, shotgun. Great stuff!

"I am a man of peace."

Extraordinary Member

I wish Del Toro and Snipes were still doing movies together. One of the best fight scenes ever.

Extraordinary Member

The club scene that every movie tried to copy. Nobody beats Snipes man...

Nice description. It was cool how Angel sought to redeem and forgive Faith, which did pay off eventually. Faith was loyal to Angel especially with the arrival of the Beast.

Speaking of which, Angel and his crew vs. the Beast was my favorite fight scene in that series. That was when I started to dig Wesley. Because, y'know, shotgun. Great stuff!

This was my favorite of the series, too. His team up with Connor in the series finale is a close second.

All-New Member

Has anyone mentioned that awesome fight scene in The Live between Rowdy Roddy Piper and Keith David yet? Its pretty great.

Also, They live as a whole is worth a watch. Classic sci-fi.