Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Probably his best fight scene, yes.

As good as Tony Jaa is, he can't entertain me as much as Jackie did. Maybe Jaa is faster and more brutal, but after awhile he gets repetitive
    Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The Police Story mall fight is amazing. I think it's been maybe twenty years since I saw the film and I'd forgotten just how good that choreography was.

And I agree about Tony Jaa - he can do some great things, but he does get repetitive (though I saw Saat po long 2 recently, and that had some good stuff in it) compared to the kind of inventiveness shown in Police Story.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    ...and he is missing the charisma Jackie has.

Still, a great fighter.
    Agreed. Tony Jaa has great fight scebes, but is missing that charisma with Jackie. Another small thing is that I'm more used to Jackie's rhythm of fighting. Plus, yeah, back in the day, Hong Kong martial arts movies all were filmed just a little bit faster.

Alright, been dancing around it for a couple of weeks, but yes, Drunken Master II, my favorite Jackie Chan movie, right during my favorite fight scene in the movie:

Loved how the Jackie vs. Ken Lo scene had this traditional Kung Fu vs. kickboxing feel. Ken's kicks are devastating, but Jackie uses acrobatics, finesse, and the unstoppable power of drunken boxing to beat the bad guy. Seriously, watched this on DVD all the time back in the day. Great stuff!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Not to dis Tony Jaa, here is my favorite fight scene of his from Ong Bak 2. Here's the first part of that scene...

"I am a man of peace."

...and part II:

Love how Tony just mixes and blends different styles of martial arts here.
    "I am a man of peace."

Book of Eli Denzel underpass scene. The actual fight is like 6seconds long but I love this scene.

Alita:Battle Angel had some weak areas, such as underutilising strong actors, and an uninvolving love story, but the action was very good, imo. The bar fight isn't necessarily the best action sequence in the film, but I think it's the most fun:

Extraordinary Member

I think a TV show that has to be mentioned here is Highlander: The Series. Not all the fight choreography was great, but Adrian Paul already had some martial arts training when he started, and he grew in skill and confidence with the blade as the show progressed. Arguably the high point of the series was the two-parter Comes a Horseman and Revelations 6:8, featuring the Four Horsemen, a quartet of ancient immortals who once terrorised the Bronze Age world and reunited in the present day in order to restart their reign of terror. Not only was the concept cool, but they had the added twist that MacLeod's immortal ally Methos (probably the most interesting character in the series) actually turned out to be the horseman named Death in the original group.

The final fight begins at the forty minute mark in the episode Revelations 6:8, and features two fights in parallel: MacLeod vs Kronos, and Methos vs Silas. Not the best of the fight choreography in the series, but one of the most exciting and satisfying due to the built-up drama. Most fans complain that this two-parter, which wasn't even a series finale, signals the peak of the series, and it's all downhill from there. I tend to think they're right.

I won't link to the episode, but all of the episodes are up on YouTube if you go looking for them.

The pencil fight in Grosse Point Blank is really well done. No theatrics or flourishes, just two guys trying really hard to kill each other.

Yeah, that's a really great fight - fast, brutal, and realistic-looking.

It's a ball-point pen though, isn't it?

Y'know, for a long time this wasn't my favorite fight scene. Sure Bloodsport is an utter classic for any martial art fight fan. I'm a huge fan of a ton of other fights during the film. However, I always thought the last fight was a little slow paced and relied too much on slow motion. But over the years I've come to appreciate it. The helicopter kicks, the fighting blind, the tribal, 80s soundtrack in the background, all of it has grown on me. In any case, hope you all enjoy it too!

"I am a man of peace."

"You have offended my family...and you have offended a Shaolin temple." Damn, those lines still get me even after all of these decades. Just a badass epic fight scene to end one of, if not the most badass epic martial arts movies ever! Favorite moments are Bruce's ungodly roundhouse and that final sidekick to the spear. Nearly 50 years later (holy crap, we can really say that now), and this fight still works! Hell, it's even better the modern stuff out there! Fun fact, the actor who played Han, Shih Kien, had a long storied career of playing villains in Hong Kong movies. Still, he was actually a great guy in real life.

In any case, enjoy!

"I am a man of peace."

One of my favorite scenes from Heroes of the East which is a classic Shaw Bros. film starring the incomparable Gordon Liu. Really beautifully done Chinese vs. Japanese martial arts scenes here and the final fight has to be the best of all. First starts off with weapons and then eventually moves into the respective hand to hand animal styles of each country. Good, old school Kung Fu action!

"I am a man of peace."

In no particular order:

Pretty much every fight Shredder was involved in in the 2014 Ninja Turtles movie. Plus Turtles vs Krang in the finale of the sequel.
    Blade vs Nomak in Blade 2.
    Hellboy vs Nomak, er, Prince Nuada, in Hellboy 2
    Dom and Brian vs Fenix at the end of the 4th Fast and Furious movie
    Daniel vs Chozen in Karate Kid part 2
    Aquaman vs Black Manta in Aquaman
    Resurrected Superman vs the Justice League in Justice League
    Hal Jordan vs Sinestro (training) in Green Lantern
    Riggs vs Vorstedt in Lethal Weapon 2
    Riggs and Murtaugh vs Wah Sing Ku in Lethal Weapon 4
    Drax vs Ronin in Guardians of the Galaxy
    Griffin vs Roland in Jumper
    Black Dynamite vs Richard Nixon in Black Dynamite
    Eric vs Top Dollar (final fight) in The Crow
    Avengers vs Thanos in Wakanda in Infinity War
    Cap, Tony, and Thor vs Thanos in Endgame
    Alita vs, well, every fight she was in actually, in Alita: Battle Angel
    Angel vs Hamilton in the series finale of Angel
    Alice vs Isaac in Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
    Sam Flynn vs Rinzler in Tron: Legacy
    Optimus Prime vs Megatron and The Fallen in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
    Optimus Prime vs Sentinel Prime and then Megatron in Transformers: Dark of the Moon
    Bumblebee vs Dropkick and then Shatter in Bumblebee
    Selene vs Marius in Underworld: Blood Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Yeah, that's a really great fight - fast, brutal, and realistic-looking.

It's a ball-point pen though, isn't it?
    [re: Grosse Pointe Blank] I like how they got winded and sweaty really quickly and their moves weren't "movie fighting" moves - it seemed like two trained guys really sparring, trying to hit each other.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    [re: Grosse Pointe Blank] I like how they got winded and sweaty really quickly and their moves weren't "movie fighting" moves - it seemed like two trained guys really sparring, trying to hit each other.
    Referring to this scene?

If so, then I can see why you'd think they'd be sparring. They've probably done that dozens of times since the other assassin John Cusack is fighting is his longtime martial arts instructor, Benny "The Jet" Urquidez! Fun fact, Benny is one of my favorite martial artists. His fights back in the 70s are just works of art.
    "I am a man of peace."