Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default A Non-Amalgamated Merged DC/Marvel Universe? 2.0

Since I can't find the original thread, I decided to make another one.

Question: Could such a universe exist? Some who have posted a response on this subject before feel that it would "clutter the environment". I say thee "Nay!" If we can deal with a "cluttered" DCU (which is silly, since every character is going to be depicted in tandem with others), we can deal with an Earth that has a host of characters running around, if one is smart about it. You can either:

a) Use a "generations" model, in which a character actually ages, or,
    b) Simply use less characters, by focusing more on the top tier characters.

Personally, a generations model could work. Character is introduced based on publishing date. Said character have their career, then he or she is "retired". But, if the character is still around, it has to make sense as to why this is possible. Ergo, unless the character is immortal, he or she is one and done.

So, in no particular, here we go:

* Superman is the most likely to still be active, due to his Kryptonian heritage. The question would be to either have his supporting cast split up, so that Lois Lane would be relevant in the Modern Age, or all of them come out when they were originally published.
    * Captain America, thanks to the super-soldier serum, simply ages less. He'd be a hero to Guy Gardener, instead of "General Glory" (who does not exist, since he was intended to be a parody of Captain America). He would be the nucleus of the super-soldier program in all its totality, from physical enhancements that retard aging, to cybernetics, and so forth (I would play the "Superman Theory" from DOOMSDAY CLOCK into this). Basically, governments around the world would want to create "living weapons" as a precaution against both rival nations...and potential metahuman menaces.
    * Metahumans would be broken down into two types: mutants (those who spontaneously become superhuman) and mutates (those who become superhuman via accidents). X-Men deal with the former, while Doom Patrol deal with a latter (Doom Patrol is more of a support group than a traditional hero team).
    * The gods are real and living in this world, though under the veneer of mortality. Just to make things interesting, the Norse gods sided with the Axis Powers, while the Greek gods sided with Allied Powers. This brought Wonder Woman and Thor (red-haired version with beard) onto the battlefield as opponents. When the Axis lost, and by extension the Norse, the losing participants were forced to assume mortal guises while forgetting their true selves. Thus, "Thor" becomes a mortally-wounded Army medic named Don Blake, who would go on to be a medical doctor. However, Odin would set things into motion where his son would assume his true heritage, when Don comes across Thor's hammer, though he would not suspect that Thor's time as Don would create a new hero in Thor (i.e. the blond one).
    * Wonder Woman begins her career back in WW1 (like in the movie), and inspires others to become heroes.

TBC.

Astonishing Member

I don't think it would be in anyone's best interests to kill off the most popular characters and make Thor a Nazi.

BANNED

Too messy . Such a universe could not exist where everyone would be happy with characters’ inclusions

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I don't think it would be in anyone's best interests to kill off the most popular characters and make Thor a Nazi.
    Well, I did say that the top tier characters would be emphasized. Also: who says that Thor would be a Nazi? Not everyone who fought on the Axis side was a member of a German political group. In fact, some members of the top German army command rejected the party, but still fought for Germany. My point is that when the world went to war, the gods took sides, regardless of the particular details. In this case, red-beard Thor fought for the Axis, lost, and was punished to live the life of a mortal man, who would later become Thor, after being humbled. In fact, you could say that it was Loki who tricked the Norse into participating in the war on the side of the Axis.

Astonishing Member

Metahuman= Born with powers
    Mutant= Spontaneously obtains power
    Mutate= Got powers through accidents

I would just use "mutant" as a slur for metahumans and leave it at that. And "Mutate" was always messy and confusing honestly. Using that terminology, Flash is a mutate rather than a metahuman, which... I shall not countenance such an absurd proposition!

Similarly, I shall hear no talk of Thor or any Ęsir fighting on the side of the Nazis.

and what do we say about nazis, children.jpg

I think the Marvel Asgardians have made their views on the vile Nazi scourge very clear indeed.

I think rather than trying to make a wholistic timeline of the conjoined universe and work from there, it'd be better to just pick intersections of character you think would be interesting.

For example, Superman is obviously gonna be Science Buddies with Reed Richards, right? Spider-Man probably looks up to Superman. Carol Danvers and Hal Jordan maybe used to fly together? Or knew each other by reputation? Maybe Daredevil and Nightwing can work at the same lawfirm, "Nelson, Grayson & Murdock," since Earth 2 Dick used to be a lawyer?

Wonder Woman and Captain American definitely fought Nazis together.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

A big problem - one that went unaddressed last time they had this sort of universe in JLA/Avengers (Namor didn't have much of a role in the story, as he isn't an Avenger) - is that Namor and Aquaman are both the king of Atlantis, meaning they can't co-exist without one of them having major changes.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Well I know in DC there are a minimum of "several" underwater kingdoms that sometimes get lumped together as "Atlantis," don't know about in Marvel. Maybe they could rule different kingdoms? Or maybe they're relatives.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    A big problem - one that went unaddressed last time they had this sort of universe in JLA/Avengers (Namor didn't have much of a role in the story, as he isn't an Avenger) - is that Namor and Aquaman are both the king of Atlantis, meaning they can't co-exist without one of them having major changes.
    Just use the "Game of Thrones" model, when dealing with all things underwater and Atlantis. I mean, even without the merging in mind, there have been periods where both Namor and Arthur/Orin were kicked off the throne of Atlantis. And, as the Aquaman movie has shown, there are many kingdoms of Atlantis, united under a single government.

BTW, I didn't know there would be such a problem with the idea of a previous incarnation of the Norse fighting on the side of the Axis, even with the caveats put into place...

Lightbulb

I think I've done a fair job (so far) creating such a blended universe. If anyone is interested, check out my fanfic story to see how I've tackled the problems involved -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1319924...vergence-Point
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-09-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Okay, here is more:

* The more science-based heroes would gravitate around the 1960s, ushered in by the Fantastic Four, the Challengers of the Unknown, the Doom Patrol, Agents of LAW and so forth, with the premier hero being Captain Atom of this era.

* The Justice League would be a fraternity of heroes, while the Avengers would be the government response (under the direction of SHIELD).

* Clandestine organizations like SHIELD, Taskforce X (Argent & Suicide Squad), Department H, the Red Room and others would be popping up to deal with threats like Hydra, AIM and others (mundane and not-so-mundane), working behind the scenes. The Weapon Plus Program would be at the center of all this.

* The Sentinel Program, an outgrowth of the Weapon Plus Program, would be simply anti-metahuman, not just anti-mutant (though the original motivation was anti-mutant).

TBC.

Thor would have red hair.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Thor would have red hair.
    I'm okay with this. I came up with a convoluted headcanon that Marvel Thor stole Sif's golden hair replacement that Dwarves made her when Loki made her go bald. This is in Norse mythology. After that, Sif got mad, went brunette, and became a warrior. Of course, this has, as far as I know, absolutely no basis in the comics at all!

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I don't think a distinction between mutant and metahuman is explicitly necessary. Especially with Rebirth, the metagene is effectively the same as an X-Gene. Probably best to just like... Merge them.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I don't think a distinction between mutant and metahuman is explicitly necessary. Especially with Rebirth, the metagene is effectively the same as an X-Gene. Probably best to just like... Merge them.
    Yeah, I agree. I said earlier that I think "mutant" works as a slur for metahuman, and leave it at that. The distinction between mutants and those who gain powers through other means like Spider-Man or Flash is... I mean frankly it's cosmetic.