View Poll Results: What type of Batman story do you prefer?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pure detective story in which Batman solves a mystery

86 63.70%
  • Batman taking on 'ordinary' street crime or the Mob

50 37.04%
  • Clash between Batman and an iconic Rogue's Gallery member

60 44.44%
  • Batman as a superhero fighting larger-than-life threats (alien, supernatural, technological etc.)

14 10.37%
  • Character pieces about Batman or a supporting cast member

61 45.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I don't really have a hankering for a solo detective story, despite it being the biggest complaint in discussions. Writers keep promising more detective stories, and those stories either end up not being detective stories, or being very weak. Now, if you told me we'd get more Black Mirrors, with strong Batfamily interaction, and actual care paid to the clues and reasoning, I might be interested, but that's not what I'm seeing.

I prefer character pieces, especially dealing with relationships in the Batfamily.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Retired

It calls into question in my mind why Batman exists, if he isn't doing detective work most of the time and bringing in thieves and murderers to face justice. If most of the stories are about his personal life and problems, then is just about a guy going through personal issues--there's no reason for him to be Batman, the Masked Manhunter. If it's about Batman battling his cast of rogues, then it's just a hamster wheel, where they never actually go down for their crimes and just keep coming back--and you get all these stories that allege it's because of Batman all these costumed freaks exist in the first place--so Batman isn't the hero he ought to be, because he just makes Gotham worse. If Batman is a super-hero with powers fighting super-powered villains, then it contradicts what is supposed to be the defining aspect of the character--that he's just an ordinary guy solving crimes and risking his life in the process.

I can never get tired of good mysteries. Of course, if they're badly written and executed, then it doesn't do anything for me. But your classic whodunnit formula never gets old, because it's always a new story, with new suspects, new plots, new clues, that has a definitive ending (the criminals don't come back).

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Whenever the enemies are "someone from Bruce Wayne's past!" or some "Bat-Family" nonsense- it kills it for me. Batman is the Dark Avenger, the World's Greatest Detective. I want to see him figure out cold cases and heinous crimes, as purely a 3rd party. Those things may become personal, while he gets to know the people involved or even the villain- but he's still removed.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-12-2020 at 03:13 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

All! Heck, more often than not we get a mixture of two or more options.

One of the great things about the Batman character is that he's become so versatile he can be in almost any kind of story without feeling out of place. All we need is a decent story, some passable art and we have another thrilling adventure to enjoy. Scott Snyder and Tom King's Batman are the same guy, yet in utterly different contexts. It's awesome!
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Normally I'd say character study since I really love those type of stories but since I started reading comics in 2011 I've had nothing but Character studies when it comes to Batman so I'd like to be reminded why he's called the world's greatest detective.

My favorite Batman story was Batman #400. It had intrigue. It had ALL the rogues and great writing. It was the perfect Batman story, bar none.

NOTE: This thread was started in February 2020.
    -------------------------------------------------------

With 43 people having voted, current results show:
    * Pure detective story = 30 votes
    * Character pieces w/Batman or supporting cast = 19 votes
    * Clash with iconic Rogue's Gallery member = 18 votes
    * 'ordinary' street crime or the Mob =13 votes
    * superhero fighting larger-than-life threats = 3 votes

Any of them are stories I love but I went with over the top superhero threats. That's always a treat to read

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Any of them are stories I love but I went with over the top superhero threats. That's always a treat to read
    They may be fun to read, but I don't know if we need them for Batman and the Bat-family.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    They may be fun to read, but I don't know if we need them for Batman and the Bat-family.
    Why not? I mean, do we need any of them for Batman or the Batfamily? Face it, in entertainment nothing has, is, or will ever be "needed". There's just the stuff you like and don't like for certain characters. It is, no matter what arguments we like to make, 100% subjective. I can't remember now, but I think I voted for all of them because they all entertain me, larger than life superheroics included.

For me it would be Rogues, Street crime, then Detective. I really dont want the over the top over powered or Alien threats. One thing that kind of Kills Marvel's Silver age for me is that in the first two years we had pretty much every hero doing an alien invasion story, Fantastic Four of course, Hulk, Ironman, Thor, Spiderman (even thought this was later reconed.) Hell even Antman.

Some heroes just dont really work with the over the top out of this world threat. And I think Batman being more urban and gritty, more street something like that always kills it for me when it comes to him.

So yea go with the Rogues. Just not over played Joker. That is why I loved Gotham Central so much. They had a good mix of Rogues and a who dun its.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Now with 58 people having voted,
    * Pure detective story = 38 votes
    * Character pieces w/Batman or supporting cast = 26 votes
    * Clash with iconic Rogue's Gallery member = 26 votes
    * 'ordinary' street crime or the Mob = 20 votes
    * superhero fighting larger-than-life threats = 5 votes

The first three.

Part of the reason I'm enjoying Ridley's Batman at the moment is because of it's grounded but still fantastical feel of it.

With 63 people having voted,
    * Pure detective story = 42 votes
    * Clash with iconic Rogue's Gallery member = 29 votes
    * Character pieces w/Batman or supporting cast = 27 votes
    * 'ordinary' street crime or the Mob = 23 votes
    * superhero fighting larger-than-life threats = 6 votes

For a character whose bread and butter is detective work, he sure doesn't get a lot of good detective stories.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 04-12-2021 at 05:43 PM.