View Poll Results: What type of Batman story do you prefer?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pure detective story in which Batman solves a mystery

86 63.70%
  • Batman taking on 'ordinary' street crime or the Mob

50 37.04%
  • Clash between Batman and an iconic Rogue's Gallery member

60 44.44%
  • Batman as a superhero fighting larger-than-life threats (alien, supernatural, technological etc.)

14 10.37%
  • Character pieces about Batman or a supporting cast member

61 45.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default What type of Batman story do you prefer?

Inspired by a similar poll over on the Wonder Woman board.

EDIT: Please ignore the previous post. Have enabled this poll with multiple options.
    Last edited by bat39; 02-09-2020 at 01:11 AM.

I voted for detective stories, taking on ordinary street crimes, clash against iconic villains, and character pieces. The thing is...you can make a Batman story that does all of these together, and writers have.

I think the best Batman stories take on at least two of these choices to make a fun and compelling story.

Having a hard time voting, as I like a combination of all the options.
    The fact that all these types of stories can be told about Batman is what makes him great.
    The recent BATMAN UNIVERSE mini by Bendis did a fine job incorporating pretty much all the voting options into one story.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

World's greatest detective so his story should primarily be a detective

Ordinary street crime should occur as a cold open or as a distraction. A stressed-out Bat family member usually take it out on random street crimes.

The mob can be the mastermind of the case he solved
    The iconic rogue member can work as both cold open and mastermind

Larger than life threats should only occur sparingly or as a result or cause by the detective case, for example, the mob boss or iconic rogue is bargaining with a larger than life threats and they have to commit a certain number of crimes.
    In other words, these kinda threats should be The Man Behind The Man or Final Boss, not even First Arc or Second Arc Boss

I was thinking Barbatos when I said that but if you're including simple ghosts or Man-Bat, then they can be the Arc Boss. As long as the bulk of the story is detecting.

Character pieces can be done in a backup story, or take a focus on a character throughout the arc as a B plot
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 02-09-2020 at 05:52 AM.

Astonishing Member

What about:

Clash between Batman and an new Rogue's Gallery member

I enjoy Batman versus a new villain.

I really enjoy stories taking an existing lesser known villain an upgrading her/him.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    World's greatest detective so his story should primarily be a detective

Ordinary street crime should occur as a cold open or as a distraction. A stressed-out Bat family member usually take it out on random street crimes.

The mob can be the mastermind of the case he solved
    The iconic rogue member can work as both cold open and mastermind

Larger than life threats should only occur sparingly or as a result or cause by the detective case, for example, the mob boss or iconic rogue is bargaining with a larger than life threats and they have to commit a certain number of crimes.
    In other words, these kinda threats should be The Man Behind The Man or Final Boss, not even First Arc or Second Arc Boss

I was thinking Barbatos when I said that but if you're including simple ghosts or Man-Bat, then they can be the Arc Boss. As long as the bulk of the story is detecting.

Character pieces can be done in a backup story, or take a focus on a character throughout the arc as a B plot
    That’s a nice balance, w. room to focus on one aspect or another.

Batman’s got a lot of aspects to him; detective, martial artist, street leveler, JLAer, to name a few. He’s also one of the few major heroes left w. an actual secret identity.
    Lots to play with there.