Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Quote Originally Posted by Serving Size View Post
    Its interesting scanning this thread to see what people consider 'non-mainstream', a lot of different choices.

My feeling is, if you were on the cover of Jim Lee X-Men #1, you are mainstream. If you were a focus in any X-Men movie, mainstream. Original X-Men, mainstream, a team member on the X-Men cartoon from the 90s, mainstream. Magik may get a status upgrade with that movie (glad she looks as she should).

My top five:
    1. Madelyne Jennifer Pryor - She was a member of the X-Men, check your back issues! One of my favorite characters! Glad the stuff with her went on before social media, think the story would of been nerfed today.
    2. Dark Beast - His paranoia hanging with the X-Men was fun.
    3. Magik - The stuff with her shows you X-Men can do all sorts of stories.
    4. Husk - Great powers, great character. Love her drive.
    5. Lockheed - The best sidekick of all time!
    I'll add in one more thing for your mainstream list, as it is nearly complete for me. If a character has had a long running solo series (not finished in 12 issues or less) or is the focus character of a long running series over the course of several years, they are a mainstream character. X23 is mainstream. Magik is close, but is still in the gray zone where it can be debated.

Also, a character can have previously been mainstream but have slipped in recent years, like Longshot. In the late 80's I would have considered him to be mainstream, but not anymore.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Sage
    Warpath
    Havock& Polaris
    (I didn't too much care for the Gifted Fxx series, but only remain watching due to the line up)
    Frenzy(She's the one who wants to be an X-Men right?)
    ShatterStar&Rictor(Relationship)
    Anole&Rockslide(Duo)
    Gentel
    Prodigy
    Monet
    NoGirl
    Hellion
    Five in One
    KidOmega (DoX X-force version is actually growing on me and I disliked him very much)
    Armor
    New X-Men Kids ect ...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'll add in one more thing for your mainstream list, as it is nearly complete for me. If a character has had a long running solo series (not finished in 12 issues or less) or is the focus character of a long running series over the course of several years, they are a mainstream character. X23 is mainstream. Magik is close, but is still in the gray zone where it can be debated.

Also, a character can have previously been mainstream but have slipped in recent years, like Longshot. In the late 80's I would have considered him to be mainstream, but not anymore.
    That's a good point about being the lead character in series and/or supporting a solo series. Wolverine by all sorts of different markers is mainstream. Most of the time X-Men and its off shoots work better as team books (with the occasional mini-series thrown out from time to time).

I just did a watch of X-Men Animated series on Disney+ and Longshot got some episodes. The Mojo verse stuff is always just crazy fun in my book.

I was looking at X-Men team members wiki and it seems like in some cases, well, if a new writer comes in, this person wants to do his take on classic characters/his own characters, I suppose some of the others can fall off. You can only be popular/gain popularity if you are given exposure.

Also, one thing I'd point out, I hated Joseph, before it was revealed he was a clone, Magento, clone, didn't matter to me. I thought he was lame either way. LOL

(Iceman also gets a notch in his mainstream belt by being in Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends)
    Last edited by Serving Size; 02-25-2020 at 04:32 AM.

Amazing Member

Domino
    Magik
    Monet
    Firestar
    Surge

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post

I disagree about headlining an ongoing. Dazzler has the longest continuous solo for a female X-character (40 issues) but I would hardly consider her "mainstream."

Mainstream is a character who you could say their name to any random person on the street and they'll know who it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I disagree about headlining an ongoing. Dazzler has the longest continuous solo for a female X-character (40 issues) but I would hardly consider her "mainstream."

Mainstream is a character who you could say their name to any random person on the street and they'll know who it is.
    Dazzled has slipped out the mainstream since her last solo issue was decades ago. That is a bit different than having had multiple solo runs (we may never see 40 issues again until the Age of Reboots is over) including fairly recently, plus being in a movie.

Right now, Polaris could be considered near mainstream since she is in a TV show, although those typically don't have the reach of theatrical films.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Krakoa is for lovers Blackphoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    The last time I saw Wiz Kid, he was captured by Nastirih during the Inferno event and forced to create a 'spellchecker', a digital tome of spells, for the demon.

I remember thinking that this was pretty unique, almost Dr. Doom-esque, a character that was on the fuzzy edge of magic and science/technology, and he could take on a new role as 'the Steel Sorcerer' using a battlesuit animated by his powers (instead of animating a wheelchair/copter, he could animate a suit that actually *walks* and provides some protection as well!), while using his tech animation mutation *and* sorcery, joining characters like Forge, Ilyanna, Selene and Pixie who toe that line between mutant and mystic.

Since the sorcery he was forced to codify was pretty dark, he might tend to use nastier than expected spells, involving stuff like cutting his hand to activate blood magic or whatever, and put people like Forge off, while causing people like Ilyanna to nod approvingly.
    That would be awesome.

Wiz Kid enrolled in Avengers Academy: it had been reported that he lost his powers on M-Day, but he had actually faked being depowered with his machine manipulating abilities for some reason.

Dust, Husk, and Meggan are just a few of my other favs. I also like Spyke from X-men evolution cartoon and I’m prob that character’s only fan. I pretty much love most the x-characters. I don’t think I hate any but there are some I don’t find as interesting.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Hellion
    Surge
    Dust
    Wolfsbane
    Feral
    Shatterstar
    Sunspot
    Omega Sentinel
    Mimic
    Morph
    Blink