Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Part of the problem for me is that, right now, just about every Republican I know and talk to on Facebook and my whole family are blind Trump supporters. Even when they originally despised him and did not want him to be the Republican candidate, they've rationalized everything away because nobody wants to perceive themselves as supporting a total dirtbag. In fairness, I just read a thread that shows that Republicans are very divided about Trump. The ones that have to defend him are more vocal and have more tunnel vision because you have to in order to ignore tons of facts
    1) Conservative does not equal Trump or even necessarily being 100% Republican.
    2) On a show using a fictional President (when they even mention who is President), why would Trump's actions even have to be mentioned?

But, to me, the kind of Republican who is sensible, mostly an economic conservative, does not represent the majority. Most Republican beliefs are steeped in almost willful ignorance, be it climate change, scientific facts in general and so on.
    And that is the bias most conservatives object to. The idea that a liberal opinion by default is the only possible one supported by facts or sound reasoning. You can't possibly write a sympathetic hero if you start off from a POV that their beliefs are based on ignorance and have no real basis.

I think most of us agree that the season of Supergirl that dealt with illegal immigration was over the top. I don't see gangs of conservatives in real life going around killing immigrants though I'm sure such things have happened in isolated situations. Most conservatives emphasize that this is about "illegal" immigration. Now, is there an undercurrent of bigotry in order for a guy to win an election by playing on what is, in reality, an extremely minor issue? Yes.
    Again no one said let's make a hero based on Trump's campaign rhetoric. Write the guy who opposes "illegal" immigration without having him spout lines about how every person overstaying a visa is a deranged criminal looking to rape and steal from us.

It does seem to be that the Conservative stance on most issues is steeped in misinformation, Planned Parenthood being a prime example.
    Without opening up a can of worms about every possible reason a woman might seek an abortion, is it possible to hold a view opposed to Planned Parenthood's on the topic? Could you have a female protagonist who disagrees with another female character's reasons for having an abortion?

Anyway, I'm deviating from the CW. I do note that Supergirl drew across the board criticism for the Immigration season so it's not like there's no such thing as going too far. But in these times and considering how removed from reality (facts and evidence) conservative views are, I just cannot see myself sticking with viewing a Conservative hero. It may well be that a new show on some network could do that.

But I think the closest you could get would be something like the old shows like the 1950s Superman where you have no idea what his political views are because they only involve him stopping people from killing people and robbing banks. Incidentally, I love that show to this day and I would welcome a show like that that had zero reference to politics and just had a good adventure story.
    But even that seems to argue that either you never get political or else you present heroes that hold specific political views. I'd prefer to see a show where the hero isn't locked into only one view on gender relations or social issues and where the opposition isn't painted to always be evil or ignorant.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post

Again no one said let's make a hero based on Trump's campaign rhetoric. Write the guy who opposes "illegal" immigration without having him spout lines about how every person overstaying a visa is a deranged criminal looking to rape and steal from us.

We can only go by what the thread asked us to do. And what he thinks is "liberal". He is asking for a typical trumpian, current GOP show where there isn't mention of "civil rights and equality".

To say that wasn't asked for is false.

To have a broader discussion not limited to what was originally asked for in a "conservative show" is probably easier to do and more in line with some of the other admittedly conservative posters would suggest.

But the original ask is very specific and pretty rigid I would say hard line right type show isn't it?

2) On a show using a fictional President (when they even mention who is President), why would Trump's actions even have to be mentioned?
    Obviously, Trump was not mentioned by name. But they used his intended policies as story fodder. While Conservative does not automatically mean Republican, it certainly doesn't mean Democrat. Probably a lot of Republicans and Conservatives disagree with Trump. Right now, the GOP is afraid to disagree with him or call him out on anything because of the backlash from the Trump personality cult. That means either that either Trump does represent the repressed conservative views oir that the GOP is badly underestimating how many Republicans quietly disagree with him and will be shocked at the election.

And that is the bias most conservatives object to. The idea that a liberal opinion by default is the only possible one supported by facts or sound reasoning. You can't possibly write a sympathetic hero if you start off from a POV that their beliefs are based on ignorance and have no real basis.
    On the specific examples I gave- scientific facts like evolution and climate change- they are the only ones supported by evidence. I think you could make an argument against abortion that is not based in unsubstantiated religious beliefs and it's a hot argument based on trimesters and so on. You might be able to make an argument against Planned Parenthood but the only ones I ever hear are based in lies and deceptions. And there's the problem. Most of their beliefs, even with scientific fact, are baseless and coming from ignorance. Rather, there is a basis but the basis is factually wrong. No, of course, every conservative doesn't think that climate change isn't real but it's reasonable to go with what the majority opinion seems to be.

Social issues are more difficult because what is right and wrong is a matter of what a society (or an individual) thinks is right and wrong. Too many people brand everyone from the past whose social ideals don't match those of 2020 as evil and wrong. Was Samuel Clemens a racist? In 2020, hell yes. In 1860, hell no, anything but.

Yes. Have him be against illegal immigration but interact with immigrants of all kinds and clearly distinguish a difference with legal and illegal. Also, have him show compassion for illegal immigrants and their situation and admit that it's not a simple solution if you have any compassion.

Without opening up a can of worms about every possible reason a woman might seek an abortion, is it possible to hold a view opposed to Planned Parenthood's on the topic? Could you have a female protagonist who disagrees with another female character's reasons for having an abortion?
    You should be able to. I'm not sure you could. Supposedly, a bunch of conservative women showed up for the Women's March on Washington and were told they were not welcome because they disagreed with the official stance of the group on one issue, abortion, but agreed on everything else. That's no better than having to be 100% pro-Trump on every single issue and never disagree with him or you're out. I'm not saying liberals are not also capable of being inflexible. Liberals too can demand complete agreement on every issue or else.

But even that seems to argue that either you never get political or else you present heroes that hold specific political views. I'd prefer to see a show where the hero isn't locked into only one view on gender relations or social issues and where the opposition isn't painted to always be evil or ignorant.
    A show where the guy supports women's rights and racial equality but votes Republican and has varying stances on issues would be interesting but probably satisfy nobody.
    Power with Girl is better.

Retired

I don't know if it would be right leaning, but I imagine that a Jonah Hex CW show, starring Johnathon Schaech, could appeal to people in "Red States"*--and I'd like it to have Rip Hunter, as well (if they can get Arthur Darvill to reprise his role). In the Arrowverse, Rip is supposed to have spent a good amount of time in the Old West, where he became friends with Hex--but we've never seen that chapter of his life explored at any length.

I imagine if CW ever did a more right wing, traditional values type show--they could get Dean Cain back.

*Your Red and Blue for Republicans and Democrats always seems counter-intuitive to me. In Canada, the Liberal Party is the red party (Le Parti Rouge) and the Conservative Party is the blue party (Le Parti Bleu), going all the way back to before Confederation. Besides which, I thought in America being a Red was a bad thing and the kind of thing that Republicans love to hate.

Mighty Member

I think Baseman said it best.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
    I think the responses in this thead show pretty well why a conversative superhero show would be a hard sell. To many people view conversatives as backwards woman/mintory hating scumbags..(justified or not)

Regardless your best bet would be to focus the suggtles of fiting in old school conversative values with modern day America.Which would leave the show without much of a viewerships since lefting viewers will probably dismiss the show as rightwing propaganda and right wing viewers are likely to view any softing of their beliefs as a betrayal
    Most of the people that are vocal about shows being "too liberal" are the same that would hold any attempt to show nuance in these issues as having a malicious agenda.

It could if:
    1 - Keep it vague about how conservative the character is, but emphasize the positive characteristics that both sides basically agree on.(there's gotta be something left in the middle of that ven diagram) Think about James Bond - they've been calling him "out-dated" and "a fossil" etc in the movies themselves for what - 20 years at this point? It's just accepted he's a bit of a relic and his attitudes aren't the most progressive, but those are overshadowed by him saving the world. The character can disagree with positions that are on the far end of both spectrums, so keep him/her right of center, but not all the way. Show that the character's viewpoints were born from experience, rather than simply aligning with any kind of dogma.
    2 - Satire. Like Judge Dredd. He's been around forever and possibly the most popular character from 2000AD and he's a fascist!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't know if it would be right leaning, but I imagine that a Jonah Hex CW show, starring Johnathon Schaech, could appeal to people in "Red States"*--and I'd like it to have Rip Hunter, as well (if they can get Arthur Darvill to reprise his role). In the Arrowverse, Rip is supposed to have spent a good amount of time in the Old West, where he became friends with Hex--but we've never seen that chapter of his life explored at any length.

I imagine if CW ever did a more right wing, traditional values type show--they could get Dean Cain back.

*Your Red and Blue for Republicans and Democrats always seems counter-intuitive to me. In Canada, the Liberal Party is the red party (Le Parti Rouge) and the Conservative Party is the blue party (Le Parti Bleu), going all the way back to before Confederation. Besides which, I thought in America being a Red was a bad thing and the kind of thing that Republicans love to hate.
    Red and blue used to be rotated on the electoral map. However one election the networks decided the Dems were blue and that was that.

Astonishing Member

"24" was the last action type show I thought leaned Conservative. (Despite featuring things like having a Black President)

Torture = Ok
    Government = Corruption Everywhere
    Liberty vs. Security themes
    Muslims = Terrorists
    Idealists = Idiots, etc.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xero Kaiser View Post
    So...a conservative hero would be against those things?
    Yeah. I laughed at that line.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    "24" was the last action type show I thought leaned Conservative. (Despite featuring things like having a Black President)

Torture = Ok
    Government = Corruption Everywhere
    Liberty vs. Security themes
    Muslims = Terrorists
    Idealists = Idiots, etc.
    So a black president can only be a liberal thing?

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    So a black president can only be a liberal thing?
    With today's Republican Party yes.

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Yeah. I laughed at that line.So a black president can only be a liberal thing?
    It was ok though, because basically every other member of his family was corrupt or a security threats, which all supported the central tenet that only a white man who is suffering from heroin withdrawal, whose heart has stopped and restarted at least twice, and who has a disturbingly pathological addiction to torture, can save America.

Extraordinary Member

Alot of people in here acting like they understand conservatives based on what they are told are negative qualities.

that would be like putting all liberals in the same category the violent Antifa thugs who assault people and destroy property.

I still want to know how this conservative hero would be different from the ones on now. What would make them conservative?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The issue is the current Republican party is what people see as being Conservative. It's not fair to actual conservatives but it is what is. Just like it's not fair that people on the right think all Liberals are part of this far left fragile outrage culture. Having someone oppose illegal immigration doesnt make them conservative though. Effeftive illegal immigration laws is something supported by moderates on both sides. The difference in opinion is what to do with the ones already here. Bernie thinks they should be granted amnesty and the right would want the laws enforced and these people punished(Not calling Bermie a Moderate btw. Lol realised it sounds like that when reading this). I don't know any superhero who would wanna enforce those Immigration laws on some family by deporting them back Venezuela. Even Smallville had an episode where clark struggled with following the law and protecting an illegal immigrant. The best way to have a conservative show would be a Question type character who's railing back against big government and use the conspiracy theories as a motive. Other topics dont need to come up, social issues etc.... you can even have Question making Global Warming into some made up grand conspiracy by the Gvmt.( Im not saying all conservative deny global warming. I think most of them dont anymore. But ItS pivoted to not being man made and nothing we can do it about it. Even pointing to China and India as the reason legislation on it is pointless. Meanwhile the EPA gets torn apart.). Also maybe just have a characters who hates political correctness who isnt a bad guy. I mean people on the left would still watch, polls consistently show that most of american dont support how far woke culture has gone. Just further shows that thanks to social media we allow vocal minorities to hijack the conversations. Though to be fair I saw a study that said about 25% of Americans are Far right in political views. While only 8% are far left . Make of that what you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I still want to know how this conservative hero would be different from the ones on now. What would make them conservative?
    Nothing unless its hamfisted. Like The Question railing against big Govenment and reasonable Political correctness.