Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Their approach to problems, the makeup of their "crew". Slight differences in morality (Willingness to kill/torture/etc)

Both would stop a mugger from mugging someone on the street, but the cases they elect to take could be significantly different.

Left Slant: Evil corporation illegally polluting the environment for profit, trying to silence leaker who can expose information.

Right Slant: Eco-terrorists trying to stop oil pipeline from being built and giving energy to badly needed communities.
    Another one might be that the Amazon rain forest is being destroyed which is environmentally bad for the planet and indigenous peoples are losing their way of life BUT the reason it is happening is NOT because some people want to destroy the rain forest for fun and profit. It's because it takes thousands of square miles to support that kind of hunter/ gatherer existence. By turning a lot of that into farmland, it can support many, many times more people who are literally starving and need that far greater production of food. So this would again be a superhero who takes the conservative side not for profit but takes what liberals would argue is an anti-environment stance but it's a pro people not starving stance.

I can think of similar stances. Joaquin Phoenix just gave a speech about animals being used as food by humans and even I as a liberal was thinking, "Oh Jeezus, what a flake". Or Sabrina where people are evil because they go deer hunting. I'm sorry but there are liberal stances that I think are a joke and a conservative superhero could live there. There are stances that, while they are considered conservative, you'll get a lot of liberals to agree with. He could be against welfare as a way of life for too many people or whining about every little thing where people think they have to right to be not offended in the sense that nobody should be able to express an opinion they disagree with. As someone said, 70 years ago, 18 year olds were storming the beach at Normandy. Today, some universities set aside counciling time for students who may need therapy because they had to hear an opinion they don't like.

I'm just saying that there is room for opinions that would be considered conservative and room for a conservative hero.
    Power with Girl is better.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

NCIS is a conservative paradise.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That's not conservatism. It's possible to have a chain of command, whether it be from the government or a super-hero team and be liberal.

One, half the time they're fighting corrupt government officials, including in America and two, acknowledging government officials aren't all terrible isn't being conservative. In fact, it's quite liberal since liberals believe that the government can be used to help people.
    I'm trying to figure out what the opposite approaches are. It's typically thought that the "support our troops" types are more right wing while "less government spending on military" is left wing thinking, and thus, a hero that's big on respecting their commanding officers would feel conservative. A more left wing approach would be a character who doesn't work for the government who wants to do the right thing and does so despite either incompetent or corrupt government officials in their way.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    My impression is that a conservative audience wouldn't really care about or need the hero to be a spokesperson for their political ideology. Based on the opinions I've seen seen, many conservatives would just rather not deal with societal or overtly political issues. Generally speaking, many seem to either not realize or not care that the standards on which they were raised and which bring them comfort are just as political, but it was the status quo and there were no (or very few, easily marginalized) voices to compete with the worldview that was all from their perspective. When complaints arise of, "don't be political, just tell a good story", what I hear is, "I want stories that are already from my perspective so that I don't have to bother understanding another perspective to enjoy a story not told from my point of view."
    That makes a lot of sense. I do wonder about young conservatives, though, and if they watch the CW and what would appeal to them about it.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Their approach to problems, the makeup of their "crew". Slight differences in morality (Willingness to kill/torture/etc)

Both would stop a mugger from mugging someone on the street, but the cases they elect to take could be significantly different.

Left Slant: Evil corporation illegally polluting the environment for profit, trying to silence leaker who can expose information.

Right Slant: Eco-terrorists trying to stop oil pipeline from being built and giving energy to badly needed communities.
    Something like that could work, two different approaches but both heroic characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Joaquin Phoenix just gave a speech about animals being used as food by humans and even I as a liberal was thinking, "Oh Jeezus, what a flake". Or Sabrina where people are evil because they go deer hunting. I'm sorry but there are liberal stances that I think are a joke and a conservative superhero could live there. There are stances that, while they are considered conservative, you'll get a lot of liberals to agree with. He could be against welfare as a way of life for too many people or whining about every little thing where people think they have to right to be not offended in the sense that nobody should be able to express an opinion they disagree with. As someone said, 70 years ago, 18 year olds were storming the beach at Normandy. Today, some universities set aside counciling time for students who may need therapy because they had to hear an opinion they don't like.

I'm just saying that there is room for opinions that would be considered conservative and room for a conservative hero.
    I agree with this. There is some wiggle room in ideologies, and in some cases, not so far left liberals would agree with a conservative viewpoint.

A conservative Superhero would be the type to be pro guns, arming citzens, and killing bad guys. Likewise, I'd figure he/she would proudly don their faith. It doesn't need to be Christianity. I'd say they'd also be pro LEGAL immigration, but be mercyless against illegals. One episdoe could be them taking a trip to the border. They'd be confronted with a situation of American smuglers treating the illegals badly. They'd kill the smugglers and take the people back home to their country.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what the opposite approaches are. It's typically thought that the "support our troops" types are more right wing while "less government spending on military" is left wing thinking, and thus, a hero that's big on respecting their commanding officers would feel conservative. A more left wing approach would be a character who doesn't work for the government who wants to do the right thing and does so despite either incompetent or corrupt government officials in their way.
    The stances aren't truly left or right, how a character acts on the details from their commander and how their commander would lead would be more descriptive of political ideologies. AoS did have right leaning characters on it, like Glenn Talbot.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    A conservative Superhero would be the type to be pro guns, arming citzens, and killing bad guys. Likewise, I'd figure he/she would proudly don their faith. It doesn't need to be Christianity. I'd say they'd also be pro LEGAL immigration, but be mercyless against illegals. One episdoe could be them taking a trip to the border. They'd be confronted with a situation of American smuglers treating the illegals badly. They'd kill the smugglers and take the people back home to their country.
    Are you talking vigilante executions? Or just not having an issue with killing in self defense which goes against the long standing 'heroes don't kill' comic hero mentality??

And "merciless against illegals"? Huh...?? How about just that illegals are breaking the law and should be arrested and deported?

In your example at the end...how about arresting the smugglers and prosecuting them...and arresting the illegals and deporting them per the law???

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    NCIS is a conservative paradise.
    I never watched it, but I understand that it was spun off from JAG, which I loved. I guess because it was a lot about the navy and I was in the navy (albeit Canadian, but I was on US naval bases and met a lot of folks from the US). I never thought that show was particularly biased one way or the other--it handled a lot of difficult issues, from all sides--just like QUANTUM LEAP.

I think there's this wrong assumption that Democrats/Liberals hate the police and the military and Republicans/Conservatives love them. That might be the talking point, but actions show this is actually wrong. Some people think that if you're slightly on the left of issues, you're some kind of radical who hates traditional institutions of any kind. That's malarky.

Ultimate Member

The Kingsman movies seem, if not conservative at heart, pretty fond of poking at liberal notions like legalizing drugs (in the second movie) or protecting the environment (in the first movie), even if they take those notion to absurd extremes to make the villains cartoonish caricatures. In the first movie, Obama was even shown as part of the cabal that planned to kill off most of the human race 'for the good of the planet.'

And that's hardly the only example. The Olympus Has Fallen / London Has Fallen or later Rambo movies seem popular enough to possibly support a TV show, and seem more conservative-friendly. It might work better on a pay channel than a network, since the core feature of those latter films seems to be 'righteous white action hero mows down endless hordes of darkie savages' and that might not play well on primetime networks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I never watched it, but I understand that it was spun off from JAG, which I loved. I guess because it was a lot about the navy and I was in the navy (albeit Canadian, but I was on US naval bases and met a lot of folks from the US). I never thought that show was particularly biased one way or the other--it handled a lot of difficult issues, from all sides--just like QUANTUM LEAP.

I think there's this wrong assumption that Democrats/Liberals hate the police and the military and Republicans/Conservatives love them. That might be the talking point, but actions show this is actually wrong. Some people think that if you're slightly on the left of issues, you're some kind of radical who hates traditional institutions of any kind. That's malarky.
    NCIS feels right wing since Gibbs, who is basically their Dirty Harry, is their MVP. He's right about everything and all characters worship the ground he asks on. There are liberals on the show but they're human not gods.