Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Could a Conservative Leaning CW Superhero Show Work?

Granted, the CW skews towards a younger audience, but I feel like since Supergirl, their superhero shows have been becoming more and more liberal to appeal to fans on the left side of the political spectrum. Black Lightning and Batwoman continue to promote civil rights and equality, which are typically seen as liberal values.

If anything, the Flash is probably the most conservative superhero show simply because of the respect given to the police officers, but it still feels fairly liberal. What if the CW wanted to have a liberal show with the new Green Arrow series and air it back-to-back with a conservative one (say, starring Hawkman or something)?

How would that work? What conservative issues and values would it address? Could something like that still appeal to CW's demographic?

Isn't the Question kind of conservative? That could be a show.

But I don't know. I'm a liberal, and in the world today the only value it seems like conservatives have is worship of Trump and money and hating minorities...
    I know that's probably wrong, but I'm not seeing anything different. And I mean even when forced to watch conservative media aka Fox News that's my only take away.

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=90'sCartoonMan;4825647]Granted, the CW skews towards a younger audience, but I feel like since Supergirl, their superhero shows have been becoming more and more liberal to appeal to fans on the left side of the political spectrum. Black Lightning and Batwoman continue to promote civil rights and equality, which are typically seen as liberal values.

If anything, the Flash is probably the most conservative superhero show simply because of the respect given to the police officers, but it still feels fairly liberal. What if the CW wanted to have a liberal show with the new Green Arrow series and air it back-to-back with a conservative one (say, starring Hawkman or something)?

How would that work? What conservative issues and values would it address? Could something like that still appeal to CW's demographic?

I am having trouble posting a link on my IPad but look up the wiki for New York bail reform. Having stalkers, arsonists and robbers released without bail to strike again is great for a superhero show. Not so great in real life, it feels like the Dems are trying to turn NY red or at least purple people are outraged.
    Last edited by regnak; 02-09-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Granted, the CW skews towards a younger audience, but I feel like since Supergirl, their superhero shows have been becoming more and more liberal to appeal to fans on the left side of the political spectrum. Black Lightning and Batwoman continue to promote civil rights and equality, which are typically seen as liberal values.

Describe a modern conservative hero. How would he be different than a liberal. Oppose Gay Marriage? Try to stop families at the border? Help only Christians? Be in thrall to corporations? Help polluters? Please explain how this conservatism would manifest.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member

I would say they just need to have a balance like the Arrow Gun Episode. They did not get preachy about guns...they presented both sides of the argument equitably.

What Supergirl should have done after Linda Carter's character was exposed as an alien was show the government investigation into it. Show Alex having to cover herself because she had the knowledge and basically ignored it because she supported the President. Her duty as a federal agent was to immediately report the issue to her superiors and the Attorney General and start the investigation. She basically became the illegitimate President's accomplice.

Instead they removed her...made Scarecrow the Trump surrogate...and portrayed the Agent Liberty and his followers as the evil, racist conservatives with no mention whatsoever of the greatest fraud ever perpetrated on the American people.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Describe a modern conservative hero. How would he be different than a liberal. Oppose Gay Marriage? Try to stop families at the border? Help only Christians? Be in thrall to corporations? Help polluters? Please explain how this conservatism would manifest.
    How about support for the Constitution and rule of law. See above about how Alex should be removed from her position as head of the DEO and prosecuted an an accomplice of the illegitimate President for withholding information.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 02-09-2020 at 04:35 PM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I see your point but at the same time I also see 90'sCartoonMan's as well

With Politics today, its extreme left vs extreme right. This is also reflected with movies and shows today too.

In the past, anybody could enjoy a show because it focused more on telling a story which might leaned towards a message.

Today, I feel like I watch too many movies/show where it tries to force a message where it easily results in sacrificing a good performance/story

Astonishing Member

Really good question. Seems like The Seven in The Boys are kinda "conservative" I guess. Corporate team really interested in their money and getting a government contract....
    The have fake Pr campaigns for their images but behind closed doors they are secret freaks.

The Punisher was a pretty conservative leaning show. Even the version of Karen Page that interacted with him was pretty conservative, bragging about her gun and second amendment rights. I can't think of any other superhero shows with that vibe.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 02-09-2020 at 09:21 PM.

Astonishing Member

CW isn't going to do a conservative super-hero show, that's not their brand. Fox would be the likely contender for that idea, but since Disney bought them that's obviously not an option any longer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    The Punisher was a pretty conservative leaning show. Even the version of Karen Page that interacted with him was pretty conservative, bragging about her gun and first amendment rights. I can't think of any other superhero shows with that vibe.
    People might take issue with this...but Luke Cage was a pretty conservative character. Former military and cop, personal responsibility, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Black Lightning and Batwoman continue to promote civil rights and equality, which are typically seen as liberal values.
    So...a conservative hero would be against those things?

Incredible Member

I think the responses in this thead show pretty well why a conversative superhero show would be a hard sell. To many people view conversatives as backwards woman/mintory hating scumbags..(justified or not)

Regardless your best bet would be to focus the suggtles of fiting in old school conversative values with modern day America.Which would leave the show without much of a viewerships since lefting viewers will probably dismiss the show as rightwing propaganda and right wing viewers are likely to view any softing of their beliefs as a betrayal

Edit: I think the Jay garrick skin in Injustice 2 is a good example of the vibe the show's protagonist should have

It doesn't have to be a story about a guy with 11 rocket launchers in his basement and makes inappropriate passes on women.
    Last edited by Baseman; 02-09-2020 at 06:35 PM.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    How about support for the Constitution and rule of law. See above about how Alex should be removed from her position as head of the DEO and prosecuted an an accomplice of the illegitimate President for withholding information.
    As we've recently seen, neither of these are conservative values right now.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

First...

Just out of curiosity, the supposed "Left Wing"/"Liberal" aspect of some of these shows? Does it really bug anyone enough to amount to anything?

Second...

The "Stargirl" show that's coming up. Wouldn't that likely be what some of you are talking about?

One other thing...

Talking "Rule Of Law..." in shows where there are costumed crime people acting as vigilantes sort of pokes right in the eye of "Rule Of Law..."? Just like, the very premise of these show is giving it the raspberries?
    Last edited by numberthirty; 02-09-2020 at 08:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    First...

Just out of curiosity, the supposed "Left Wing"/"Liberal" aspect of some of these shows? Does it really bug anyone enough to amount to anything?

Second...

The "Stargirl" show that's coming up. Wouldn't that likely be what some of you are talking about?

One other thing...

Talking "Rule Of Law..." in shows where there are costumed crime people acting as vigilantes sort of pokes right in the eye of "Rule Of Law..."? Just like, the very premise of these show is giving it the raspberries?
    Are you kidding? CW as a channel is openly making shows that target liberal values: LGBT (Batwoman, Legends), Feminism (Supergirl), inclusivity (Flash) etc.

Arrow started out more conservative than Ollie traditionally is in the comics but it had a liberal heart at its core.

Joe West came off as conservative to me on Flash.

Too early to tell with Stargirl, it might be a traditional looking setting that also is ok with liberal values.

Shows with protagonists that go outside the law don't tilt them conservative, it's neutral. There are super-heroes that are conservative, like USAgent.