Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Overall I liked the movie. Kinda sad that it isn't doing better, because it means (like Justice League) it most likely won't have a sequel or any follow up.

It was Harley's movie, obviously, since her name was on the marquee. I loved her humor and antics, and that they gave her the hyena.
    They did the character justice, and the closing credits "scene" was pure Harley.

As for the Birds, there were some great things and some mis-steps.
    Dinah got the most air time, and my only real complaint was the costume should have been more comics accurate.
    Loved the canary cry scene, but also was waiting for Harley to bust on her for not telling them about it sooner.

Huntress was hilarious based on her anger issues and social awkwardness. Her line about the crossbow at the restaurant made the entire movie audience belly laugh.
    The movie needed MORE of her, since she didn't really take the stage until Act 3.

Renee was a great character, and I felt like she was near her comics depiction but unique in her own way.

Cass was the character that just really was "in name only". Honestly, based on her role, they should have made the character Harper/ Bluebird instead. (Street tough who comes from a hard life and broken family). I've never been much of a Cass fan, so it didn't bug me, other than that it was too different from who Cassandra Cain is supposed to be.

If there actually WAS some follow up to the movie, would love to see Barbara step in and take Cassandra under her wing. Grooming her to be the next Batgirl would be a move in the right direction. But based on the Box Office, looks unlikely we'll see any of the Birds again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Wolverine was super popular and he still killed the X-Men franchise.
    I'm pretty sure it was Dark Phoenix (a movie that Wolverine didn't even appear in) that is to blame for that. Hugh Jackman's final go around as the character was still a critical and commercial hit.

Popular in one medium does not mean popular in all others. If they were completely confident in Harley/Robbie, then they wouldn't have gone ensemble.

Especially one that is designed to appear diverse.
    This movie wouldn't be happening if not for the good reception to Robbie's Harley in Suicide Squad. And while there is an argument to be made about how poorly Cass was adapted, I do believe Robbie is sincere about giving more spotlight to characters that don't get as much attention in adaptations.

This should have been called Harley because she shines in this. the movie was fun with harley and Dinah being the stand outs.

They butchered Cass so much that I doubt we'll ever see this Cass or a Cass ever become Batgirl which is great news for Babs girl fans and Steph fans [the girl in this was Steph not Cass]

Cass in this just won't stop talking omg it was like they were trying to rub the fact that they erased her disability in ones face.

It was a disgrace. They did cass dirty

I though the movie was terrible. Boring, the characters were OOC and this Harley Quinn from the Snyder verse just doesn't work for me. WB should have never listened to Margot.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'm pretty sure it was Dark Phoenix (a movie that Wolverine didn't even appear in) that is to blame for that. Hugh Jackman's final go around as the character was still a critical and commercial hit.
    I'm pretty sure you're overlooking how they had to do a reboot with Days of Future Past. Last Stand, remember?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This movie wouldn't be happening if not for the good reception to Robbie's Harley in Suicide Squad. And while there is an argument to be made about how poorly Cass was adapted, I do believe Robbie is sincere about giving more spotlight to characters that don't get as much attention in adaptations.
    I'd think Robbie more sincere if she faithfully adapted the one character who didn't have a boat load of adaptions, and if they hadn't changed Black Canary to check off one more diversity box.

Incredible Member

I definitely think the R rating was a mistake.

I don't know why DC insists that Harley Quinn media needs vulgarity. The DCAU show begins kind of cringey with how many f bombs it drops in the opening, though it eventually becomes a bit more natural... it still feels unnecessary.

Harley Quinn isn't Deadpool... she doesn't need the R-rating to be wacky, and her vulgarity was never really part of her appeal anyway. I don't think there's anything in the movie I'd miss if it was cut to be PG-13... I don't know why we need Black Mask torture scenes in a Harley film, tbh.

Mighty Member

Awesome movie. That Police station attack was my favorite scene.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're overlooking how they had to do a reboot with Days of Future Past. Last Stand, remember?
    Which was a completely separate decision from Wolverine. And again, the last two movies that didn't feature him were considered mediocre at best. There are criticisms to be made about how much focus Logan got at the expense of everyone else but he did not destroy the X-men movie franchise. If anything he's one of the few redeeming aspects it has left.

I'd think Robbie more sincere if she faithfully adapted the one character who didn't have a boat load of adaptions, and if they hadn't changed Black Canary to check off one more diversity box.
    Well if it means anything, Gail Simone liked the movie version of Black Canary and felt she was very authentic.

You won't get any arguments from me about Cass.

Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of one Harley Quinn) performed so badly, it's been officially renamed Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.
    https://comicbook.com/dc/2020/02/10/...-harley-quinn/

I do think the original name was too long - cinema chains were probably shortening it to just Birds of Prey on their listings, meaning people don't realise it's the new Harley Quinn film.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

How can they not realize that? It's unrealistic to me that people wouldn't bother to see the poster, trailer or read the synopsis which Harley is front and centre in all of them.

The reason why the movie didn't do well is because people are uninterested, not because the majority are unaware that it's a Harley movie.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Emma was right

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm a huge Babs and Oracle fan. I didn't feel slighted in the least by this movie.

Now, I agree that the marketing (especially the early one) wasn't done well. But boycotting the movie because of the absence of any Batgirl would be just stupid. Especially since the movie left a huge opening in the end for introducing Oracle, if WB wants to do so.
    No, thanks. I don’t want Barbara Gordon to appear in the film just to become Harley’s sidekick. They just ruined “Birds of pray” title by macking Harley a lead character.

I'm not sure it's because people are uninterested. Otherwise the dudebro reaction against it wouldn't be so strong. But WB marketed the movie all wrong, and I think it was an attempt to reach a new market. This was sort of a Tarantino superhero take on Thelma & Louise. Which doesn't really describe the plot at all, but certainly its mood.

But the Birds of Prey and hardcore DC fans were turned away by the early drama over the title, while it largely failed to reach the general Harley Quinn fans. And the trailers failed to bring up the film's theme and qualities.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

It showed that Gotham and DC works without Batman. Now I want a Marvel Knights Punisher type ongoing with huntress and Dinah rocks hard
    Happy with how they used Romi and Viktor

Seeing Huntress belly and the ugly domino mask at the end.... Could have done without it
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 02-11-2020 at 02:50 PM.

Incredible Member

I don't think the title is the reason it performed poorly... but it didn't help. I think the long quirky name is kinda funny and cute, but it should've just been marketed as HARLEY QUINN: BIRDS OF PREY to begin with, and show the longform title in the actual credits. Like how THE IRISHMAN is credited by the title of the book "I Heard You Paint Houses" but that wouldn't have made for as good of a title for the poster and key art.

#1 — It should've been PG-13 just like Shazam or Wonder Woman or Aquaman or every Batman film. It's fine for Joker to be R, but I think it was a mistake with Suicide Squad and definitely again here with Harley Quinn's "breakout" movie. I think especially with the DCAU animated show being R-rated (and I like the show a lot), the movie should've been more accessible to new and younger fans.

#2 — Poor IP management. People associate "Birds of Prey" primarily with Barbara Gordon as Oracle or Batgirl... so if you're going to use the BOP brand name to attract its fans, then you should expect that her absence would be a turn-off or at least confusing.

#3 — The Joker. The movie either needed to ignore him, or mention him once, but it took me out of it. He's name dropped throughout. But it's the opposite of Chekhov's gun — we just keep hearing about him and only see the back of his head in a flashback.
    Last edited by gregpersons; 02-11-2020 at 04:22 PM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I don't think the title is the reason it performed poorly... but it didn't help. I think the long quirky name is kinda funny and cute, but it should've just been marketed as HARLEY QUINN: BIRDS OF PREY to begin with, and show the longform title in the actual credits. Like how THE IRISHMAN is credited by the title of the book "I Heard You Paint Houses" but that wouldn't have made for as good of a title for the poster and key art.

#1 — It should've been PG-13 just like Shazam or Wonder Woman or Aquaman or every Batman film. It's fine for Joker to be R, but I think it was a mistake with Suicide Squad and definitely again here with Harley Quinn's "breakout" movie. I think especially with the DCAU animated show being R-rated (and I like the show a lot), the movie should've been more accessible to new and younger fans.

#2 — Poor IP management. People associate "Birds of Prey" primarily with Barbara Gordon as Oracle or Batgirl... so if you're going to use the BOP brand name to attract its fans, then you should expect that her absence would be a turn-off or at least confusing.

#3 — The Joker. The movie either needed to ignore him, or mention him once, but it took me out of it. He's name dropped throughout. But it's the opposite of Chekhov's gun — we just keep hearing about him and only see the back of his head in a flashback.
    Points 1 and 2 are very strong. I'm not able to evaluate the third because I don't like Joker, but I think that is likely, given his popularity, even the Leto version.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord