Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

What has been your primary problem with recent Legion runs?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I still have this as well. It was in Legion of Super Heroes either #12 or #13.

I remember being disappointed when I saw it. It meant that most of the Legionnaires I loved and remembered would not be a part of this new team. And since I didn't care for Kono, Devlin, Celeste, or Kent, I couldn't understand why they were replacing great heroes like Lightning Lad, Colossal Boy, Shadow Lass, and Saturn Girl.

Of course I didn't realize at the time that Furball was actually Timber Wolf or Bounty (who strangely wasn't pictured) was actually Dawnstar. That might would've helped, but I doubt it.
    I loved the 5 Years Later Legion. It was so radically different but still had enough characters I liked to keep me reading. If you are going to do a reboot then it needs to be something like this, not what has happened repeatedly to the title since.

I liked 5YL, but I liked the first reboot too. Later reboots certainly got to be way too much.

Also, there was for me a sense during "Legionnaires" that going back to basics was a powerful thing, that in a universe devastated by fear and war and xenophobia, the SW6 Legion was exactly the bright spot the franchise needed.

Also, unrelated, does anyone else think they were setting up Devlin O'Ryan to be the enigmatic, oft imitated but never truly embodied Reflecto, whose only previous "prime timeline" appearance was as Ultra Boy's amnesiac personality possessing Superboy's body?

Like with "Shadow Woman" being basically an outfit and fake name that Shadow Lass wore to tease Mon-El, which she never used again after saving the "science asteroid," I thought that the "possessed Superboy" story for Reflecto was kind of cheap.

Devlin had a reflective power and red hair, like Reflecto, but they never quite went all the way with committing to the comparison or having him use the name "Reflecto". I liked Devlin; maybe he'll come back someday! I'd certainly welcome him if he did!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    I loved the 5 Years Later Legion. It was so radically different but still had enough characters I liked to keep me reading. If you are going to do a reboot then it needs to be something like this, not what has happened repeatedly to the title since.
    There were definitely many things I liked about the 5 Years Later Legion too. The writing and storylines were very good. However, I wanted a lot more characters to come back to the team than actually did. It took three years but I think we finally got to see every character from the past at some point or other.

Giffen's artwork was unique and I liked it for the most part. Hated the clothes/costumes and that look on everyone's faces like they had just sucked a very sour lemon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Devlin had a reflective power and red hair, like Reflecto, but they never quite went all the way with committing to the comparison or having him use the name "Reflecto". I liked Devlin; maybe he'll come back someday! I'd certainly welcome him if he did!
    He was the only part of that generation I found intriguing, since he wasn't (in my opinion) a distorted version of a familiar character. (Although if this was the continuity where Nightwind became a member, that would make *two* things...)

I've long wanted to see a 'Legion of One World' comprised of a temporary team up of Legionnaires who only exist in a single 'boot, like Kid Quantum II, Tyroc and Gazelle, and someone like Devlin, who only ever existed in this one continuity, would be well suited for such a team. (As opposed to the usual cross-continuity bit, with three Brainiac 5's arguing, three Dreamy's, three Jo's, nine Founders, etc.)

There have been a ton of one-off characters like Gates, XS, Tellus, Kinetix, Karate Kid II (Myg), etc. that I feel like deserve more attention than 'Lightning Lad 4.0.'

Just got the third Legion of Superheroes Omnibus. Such good fun, the title is really starting to hit stride.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I see the they still have the 5 Years Latter... Legion Omnibus listed on Amazon as coming out at the end of September. It has Legion of Superheroes 1-39, Adventures of Superman 478, Annuals 1-3, Timber Wolf 1-5, and a bunch of stuff from the Whos Who books. It collects all the Giffen/Bierbaum issues.

LSH 280.jpgi just can't get into what they've done w characters suck as timber wolf.element lad.ultra boy n dawnstar.you could.ve always just created new characters of different race's and kept the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    He was the only part of that generation I found intriguing, since he wasn't (in my opinion) a distorted version of a familiar character. (Although if this was the continuity where Nightwind became a member, that would make *two* things...)

I've long wanted to see a 'Legion of One World' comprised of a temporary team up of Legionnaires who only exist in a single 'boot, like Kid Quantum II, Tyroc and Gazelle, and someone like Devlin, who only ever existed in this one continuity, would be well suited for such a team. (As opposed to the usual cross-continuity bit, with three Brainiac 5's arguing, three Dreamy's, three Jo's, nine Founders, etc.)

There have been a ton of one-off characters like Gates, XS, Tellus, Kinetix, Karate Kid II (Myg), etc. that I feel like deserve more attention than 'Lightning Lad 4.0.'
    Come to think of it, now that Impulse is back, isn't it odd that XS isn't back too? Impulse is technically from the same version of the Legion's timeline that she lived in (though around 15 years previously - she was a baby in his home time). And considering that Bendis writes both Young Justice, where Impulse appears, and the Legion, so you can't even blame it on different writers...

...eh, the Tornado Twins, who are Bart's father and XS's mother, are back (in The Flash), so maybe there's plans for that.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    LSH 280.jpgi just can't get into what they've done w characters suck as timber wolf.element lad.ultra boy n dawnstar.you could.ve always just created new characters of different race's and kept the originals.
    Yeah, I try not to criticize the new/current Legion of Super Heroes because I haven't read it. But nothing about the new character re-designs interest me at all.

I agree that if you're going to go that route, just create new characters. But I see no reason not to use the REAL Legion along with the new characters.

I felt similarly about the new Legion when it was first announced with their new looks. It was shocking and not what I wanted. Something happened over the months leading up to that first issue. I started to get excited about the Legion again. Bendis and Sook even won me over with their very different new takes on Ultra Boy and Timber Wolf. I haven't been this excited and eager for each next issue since middle school which was the original Levitz/Giffen run. The book isn't perfect and they aren't just giving me what I want and I couldn't be happier. Well I'd be happier if we got the book every two weeks with the same high quality.
    Last edited by M@Bowers2014; 07-16-2020 at 12:53 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I had this poster, back in the day.

...Keith Giffen blames this poster for frying his brain on drawing the Legion. He said it was why he changed his art style in #307 (that awful Omen/Prophet storyline)
    I have to admit, Giffen changing his style was when my interest in his Legion began to erode. I just found the look of it less appealing.

Personally I think a few of the new designs don't look great (Element Lad and Shrinking violet come to mind) but for the most part I actually like the designs of the Bendis Legion. Sometimes I think it really just depends on the artist drawing them. Heck I even like the new members appearances like Monster Boy, who has a powerset that I honestly really like.

Personally I am fine with the Legion series so far, its a fun read that has cool moments and does nothing truly bad to its characters. Besides I am someone who threw this point in his life has read through multiple Legion iterations, it was Zero Hour when I was younger then when I started it was Mark Waid's reboot and then they brought back the original team and had all three teams run into each other in one big story in final crisis. What I guess I'm saying is that I can handle a fourth version of the Legion just fine and still enjoy what I am reading.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

His style shift was too big and sudden. I grew to accept it but man it was a far cry from what he was doing right before the shift. Thank God we got Terry Shoemaker and Steve Lightle soon after.

I'm really loving Monster Boy too. Also on the fence about the new looks for Element Lad, Shrinking Violet and Phantom Girl. But we also haven't seen them do much or have much or any dialogue. Loving what they've done with Chuck with his being very formidable now. Can't wait to see Ferro Lad and Invisible Kid I as well as more Invisible Kid II.
    Last edited by M@Bowers2014; 07-16-2020 at 01:12 PM.