Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I don’t see how keeping Dawnstar’s history intact and giving her Shikari’s costume (and name, since Dawnstar only had one name unlike most everyone else) would be a cop out.
    Is she going to be a grey/blue skinned insectoid instead of an indigenous appearing character? And what's wrong with traditional attire that warrants changing? Wonder Woman can wear greco-roman inspired costumes as a nod to her cultural history, but Dawnstar can't because it makes her a "stereotype". Dodging the issue by getting rid of the visual evidence of culture is the cop out to which I am referring.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Oh yes, it is.

Either it will be to much an stereotype or it will be not representative enough, there always will be someone who will feel offended, with or without reason. The "fun" part? Most probably the offended crowd most probably will not be members of the etnic group mis/represented in the character.

Also, remember the cases of the castings of Kamala Khan and Batwoman who were attacked because they were not enough dark skined and lesbian, respectively.
    White-washing and straight-washing are a thing. Side stepping awareness is lazy and, again, a cop out. Representation matters. TRY.

Will there be an issue #13?
    I saw nothing in the February solicit, earlier, and Sook is rather dubious, on Instagram.
    The news about DC, in general, seems to question the continuance of the brand and the comics.
    Can we realistically expect much more?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

There was talk about continuing the book where Future State leaves off and if so I may be out. I like the foundation of the new team but a time skip one year in when so much of the team is already undefined is a bridge too far, even with Sook's gorgeous artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Is she going to be a grey/blue skinned insectoid instead of an indigenous appearing character? And what's wrong with traditional attire that warrants changing? Wonder Woman can wear greco-roman inspired costumes as a nod to her cultural history, but Dawnstar can't because it makes her a "stereotype". Dodging the issue by getting rid of the visual evidence of culture is the cop out to which I am referring.
    I like her original costume. I prefer her original costume.
    But changing it to something else gives the twitter and facebook people less to latch onto for a rant.

And no alien look or skin. She would look just like the familiar Dawnstar. Just in Shikari's costume.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

I love Dawnstar's original costume, aesthetically it's just a beautiful design, and it's one of the reasons I fell in love with the character.

The First Nations/Native American look is subtle. There is nothing culturally stereotypical about it at all.

(As a Canadian I've been around a lot of First Nations women, and they like to blend their traditional look (tassled boots, traditional necklaces, bracelets) with their everyday clothing. They are proud of their cultural heritage and like to display it.

Are there people out there who do not like it? Outside of Wildfire and Timber Wolf, I think it's one of the strongest Legion costumes.

It’s taken, what, 13 issues, including the 2 before issue #1, to get to the hint of a story. It looks beautiful, beyond the changes for change’s sake, but there’s been no story. If they jump a year it’ll blow up the momentum which has just started to build. I’m not sure what DC is doing, I don’t know if DC knows what DC is doing. It’s still less confusing than Marvel, but Marvel is owned by Disney, who has use/plans for Marvel and their IP. AT&T isn’t Disney. From what I’m hearing they’re bleeding debt and making stupid moves to try and stop the gushing.