Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I’m new to the Legion and I’m loving this series. Bendis is in top form to me. Not having a history with the characters, I’ve mostly liked the costumes. When I was trying to learn about the characters, I did a search and found the image below. I guess it’s an 80’s book judging from the price. I think the modern costumes are dramatically better than what’s pictured. Superboy literally just looks like Superman! Sook has done an outstanding job updating the looks.

Attachment 100372
    That was 1976. The costumes got a lot better a few years on, but Superboy's was always a mini-Superman outfit until "The Reign of the Supermen" arc in the early 1990s.

Astonishing Member

Those costumes were very appropriate for the 70s, but only a few changed in the 80s. The biggest change was probably Saturn Girl returning to a more conservative pant suit. Oh, and Cosmic Boy wearing some pink long johns under his bikini! Lightning Lad wore the same outfit until everyone got new, short-lived duds in The Magic Wars.

Superboy was Superman as a kid -- and, I think, that's how people wanted to see him.

I'd probably be more appreciative of the new looks if more of the characters looked somewhat similar to their classic selves regardless of what they are wearing now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Superboy was Superman as a kid -- and, I think, that's how people wanted to see him.
    Plus it would have been super-weird if Superman in his teen adventures with the Legion wore a more modernized outfit than he ended up wearing as an adult in the 20th century.

Although I guess they could have gotten meta with it, and had some 'futuristic' suit he wore with the Legion, and when he returned to the 20th century and Imra adjusted his memories to make sure he didn't bring any disruptive future knowledge home with him (as least on a conscious level, just sort of suppressing them until his next visit, when he'd remember it all again in a flash), they would joke, "But did you have to suppress his sense of style and make him go back to that retro suit Ma Kent made for him out of a baby blanket?" "Yes, Garth. History records that as the suit that Superman wore for years, so we can't have him in 30th century fashions in the late 20th century. The history of the fashion industry could be damaged beyond repair!" *Snort* "Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face there..."

Caj.
    It’s a, largely, fair assessment. The unidentified Legionnaire is one I’ve been referring to as “Corpse Lass,” becuase the curves which showcase the skeleton suggest breasts, and the green suggests Celeste Rockfish, but Sook said, on Instagram, that they’ve been calling [her] Eradicator. I’m not convinced they’ve got a name settled. It moves quickly, and it’s enjoyable whilst you’re in it, but in the immortal words of Gertrude Stein, “there’s no ‘there’ there.” Changes for the sake of being different. There is, for example, a Daxamn, but we learned this issue that Mon-el is from New Krypton. Why? We’re 8 issues in, well, 10 if you count those 2 I bought imagining the Legion would actually be in them, and there is no discernible direction or story.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Bendis needs a co-writer on this book. Badly. I’m enjoying it for what it is, but that might be more to do with the art than the story, but it definitely needs more...moreness.

I agree. He ultimately can't handle a cast this large - we've barely scratched he surface with any of them, and the stuff we've gotten is interesting, but not exactly gripping.

We have, with the last issue, gotten a few hints of a direction. Namely the re-visit of the Great Darkness. The... fate of Dr. Fate remains a mystery. She always seemed disposable, and that might just be the case. I find myself wishing Claremont had taken this book on.

Few writers I’d like to see join him to at least co-plot would be Ram V, Saladin Ahmed, Steve Orlando, or Al Ewing.

I’m unfamiliar with all of them, Shadowcat, what have they written? Is Steve Orlando related to Joe Orlando?

Quote Originally Posted by 0nt1r View Post
    I’m unfamiliar with all of them, Shadowcat, what have they written? Is Steve Orlando related to Joe Orlando?
    Ram V is currently writing JLD, and Catwoman, Steve Orlando wrote JLoA Rebirth (sketchy), but wrote the second best run on WW’s Rebirth book, Supergirl Rebirth 1-20, and Midnighter, plus the Midnighter and Apollo mini. Saladin wrote Magnificent Ms. Marvel, Miles Morales, and Blackbolt, and Ewing is writing SWORD, Immortal Hulk, Mighty Avengers, and New Avengers. Co-wrote the Empyre event with Dan Slott.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 12-14-2020 at 09:35 PM.

I’m REALLY out of touch with the current industry. I’ve bought Los and Ragnarok, before the Legion re-re-re-booted, and I started buying it. That’s all I’m reading, at present.

Quote Originally Posted by 0nt1r View Post
    I’m REALLY out of touch with the current industry. I’ve bought Los and Ragnarok, before the Legion re-re-re-booted, and I started buying it. That’s all I’m reading, at present.
    Ram V is killing it on both books, and he’s about to launch a Swamp Thing maxi next year. One of DC’s better acquisitions.

I would have liked to see Gravity Kid & PowerBoy in the new misture of the LOSH

Quote Originally Posted by razzmatazz360 View Post
    I would have liked to see Gravity Kid & PowerBoy in the new misture of the LOSH
    Luckily there’s still time. I’m not sure why Bendis hasn’t touched on any of the LGBTQ relationships thus far. I eagerly await to see Element Lad and Matter Eater Lad become a Bear/Otter couple.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Luckily there’s still time. I’m not sure why Bendis hasn’t touched on any of the LGBTQ relationships thus far. I eagerly await to see Element Lad and Matter Eater Lad become a Bear/Otter couple.
    Not objecting, but has Tenzil ever shown attraction for the same sex? Just wondering if I've missed an issue all these years because he's always been a favorite of mine.

Or is this just speculation because he's Matter Eater Dad now?

I'm down. Give him more page time! That guy rules.

I've always thought Gail Simone would be a natural fit for the Legion, but who knows if she has a pitch for it.