Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Wondering...do we have IDs on all the members or are there some that “background noise” so to speak.
    Who’s the gorgon headed Legionnaire? The Doctor Fate with Kali arms? The green gooey skeleton? The sandy looking female between Shadow Lass and Mon-El?

Lord have mercy! I am so glad I dropped that book like a live grenade after the second issue or so. I too will scurry back to the Legion of my misspent youth.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    I hope some new fans discover the magic of the Legion with the new series but seeing this image makes me want to scurry back to the comics of my youth...
    What bothers you about that depiction of the LSH?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    While I loathe the nine-panel / page format, I'm beginning to feel like splash pages are the death of the Legion. All that real estate taking up by yet another shot of the entire team standing around or flying towards the camera, and, ooh, what a shock, no room left over for any of these characters to have more than a tiny droplet of characterization.
    The full team splash page has long been a staple of the LEGION. Can't have a Legion and NOT show their numbers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tugger View Post
    I hope some new fans discover the magic of the Legion with the new series but seeing this image makes me want to scurry back to the comics of my youth...
    Me too. I re-read Legion of Super Heroes #286 - #305 over the weekend. Levitz and Giffen at their peak.

An article about the most recent issue of the LOSH : https://screenrant.com/brian-michael...-gold-lantern/ and what's in for the future.
    Last edited by Korath; 07-29-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    An article about the most recent issue of the LOSH : https://screenrant.com/brian-michael...-gold-lantern/ and what's in for the future.
    Thanks for sharing this. IMO the future's not looking too bright...but I'm holding on to the hope that something clicks for me and I start enjoying this title and version of the Legion.

To many characters for Bendis to handle. Still liking the book so far. Not the Legion of old but at least they are back. How about Quislet and Xs for new/old characters to join. Not digging the six arm fate. There are already a ton of Lantern’s at DC. Monster Boy is kind of cliche but at least he is original. Does Blok speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    To many characters for Bendis to handle. Still liking the book so far. Not the Legion of old but at least they are back. How about Quislet and Xs for new/old characters to join. Not digging the six arm fate. There are already a ton of Lantern’s at DC. Monster Boy is kind of cliche but at least he is original. Does Blok speak?
    Yeah Blok spoke during the flashback/computo issue that showed the original three forming the Legion of Superheroes.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I am uncertain if I like Bendis Legion - beyond Sook’s art that is. To me, Bendis’ dialogue can be interchanged with any character -it’s like bland universal character exposition with a slightly Gilmore Girls speedy reparte and witticism. To me, most of the characters are not developed beyond the superficial and coming off as cold - all style and little substance.

I am also not too keen on this upcoming plot point pairing Saturn Girl and Superboy - for some reason it just doesn’t feel organic to me. Definitely no interest whatsoever. I will keep getting the next couple issues to see if anything keeps me invested and interested but I am not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by orionblue View Post
    I am uncertain if I like Bendis Legion - beyond Sook’s art that is. To me, Bendis’ dialogue can be interchanged with any character -it’s like bland universal character exposition with a slightly Gilmore Girls speedy reparte and witticism. To me, most of the characters are not developed beyond the superficial and coming off as cold - all style and little substance.

I am also not too keen on this upcoming plot point pairing Saturn Girl and Superboy - for some reason it just doesn’t feel organic to me. Definitely no interest whatsoever. I will keep getting the next couple issues to see if anything keeps me invested and interested but I am not holding my breath.
    Bendis is famous for interchangeable characters. His Avengers were the same person in multiple bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by orionblue View Post

Come to think of it, I've seen that plot done before - in Power Rangers Time Force. Red Ranger Wes is from the year 2001. Pink Ranger Jen is from the year 3000 (so roughly the same time difference as Jon and Imra!). The problem is, how can they be together when they don't live in the same time period? At the end of the season, Jen had to go home. She returned in a team up the following season and they left it ambiguous whether they end up together or not (at least until an upcoming graphic novel). Wes couldn't go to the future full time as it would've changed history. Jen remaining in the 21st century would potentially have the same effect. Jon and Imra will have the same problem. Jon's absence or Imra's presence in the year 2020 could cause changes to the 31st century. Something I'm sure Impulse can point out to Jon (via Conner), considering he should remember the 90s version of the Legion that had his cousin XS on the team.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-01-2020 at 07:55 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    Not digging the six arm fate.
    But, but, we had a whole issue devoted to telling us about the new characters, Dr. Fate, Monster Boy and Gold Lantern, according to the cover!

During which we learned. About Monster Boy, practically nothing. About Dr. Fate, *literally* nothing. About Gold Lantern, he has a *great* story, which... we're not telling you!

It's like a master class in how not to write a comic.

Art by Sarah Leuver

Wrong logo, Gold Lantern. And spot the fake Triplicate Girl.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Art by Sarah Leuver

Wrong logo, Gold Lantern. And spot the fake Triplicate Girl.
    Oh wow, I didn't even notice the antennae, or that there were *four* of Triplicate Girl!

Lots of fun little details. Six-armed Dr. Fate rocking at table tennis. Giant 'lava lamps' by the door. Phantom Girl grabbing a drink. Etc.

Yeah, and Jon seems to be talking to Clark, Lois, Krypto and Kara using a holographic video link.

President Brande is about to get a ball in the face, and I find it quite funny !