Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Not objecting, but has Tenzil ever shown attraction for the same sex? Just wondering if I've missed an issue all these years because he's always been a favorite of mine.

Or is this just speculation because he's Matter Eater Dad now?

I'm down. Give him more page time! That guy rules.

I've always thought Gail Simone would be a natural fit for the Legion, but who knows if she has a pitch for it.
    I got some very bisexual/pansexual vibes from MELad during the 5YL era.

Has it been discussed on which Earth this Legion is from? Also—I wonder if we’ll get some crossovers with the current DCU. I would love to see a crossover with the JLD, written by Ram V of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 0nt1r View Post
    The unidentified Legionnaire is one I’ve been referring to as “Corpse Lass,” becuase the curves which showcase the skeleton suggest breasts, and the green suggests Celeste Rockfish, but Sook said, on Instagram, that they’ve been calling [her] Eradicator. I’m not convinced they’ve got a name settled..

I'd seen it suggested that the glowing skeleton is a version of Chemical King/Queen

but now hearing that they are referred to as "Eradicator"...that green glow could be kryptonite eh? Hearkening back to the Eradicator/Last Son of Krypton from the "Reign of the Supermen" era, sentient artifact turned Superman?
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/eradicator/4005-5377/
    Last edited by Thirteen; 12-18-2020 at 06:55 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by razzmatazz360 View Post
    I would have liked to see Gravity Kid & PowerBoy in the new misture of the LOSH
    They disappeared as soon as Phil Jimenez was no longer involved with the Legion. I always liked the Legion Academy and feel they were given a raw deal by Levitz since he had no hand in creating them. The characters Levitz introduced in his last blast such as Chemical Kid, that Dragon lady with fire breath and the weather manipulator were probably my least favorite of all Legionnaires.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I'll have to finish that run someday. I think it's on DC Universe.

There was that one backup story in Action where it was clear he had a huge crush on Shrinking Violet.

No book in March....has it been cancelled?

Has it been discussed on which Earth this Legion is from? Also—I wonder if we’ll get some crossovers with the current DCU. I would love to see a crossover with the JLD, written by Ram V of course.
    A story written by Ram, with art by Mike Perkins would be great, but JLD is now cancelled, relegated to a backup feature in the main JL book!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverScarlet View Post
    A story written by Ram, with art by Mike Perkins would be great, but JLD is now cancelled, relegated to a backup feature in the main JL book!
    I know, and I’m so depressed because of it.

Astonishing Member

No official news on cancellation, but I would guess the book is struggling to find an audience. I think it was a mistake to do yet another reboot instead of just taking the last Legion and adding new characters while retaining the versions that fans loved.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    No official news on cancellation, but I would guess the book is struggling to find an audience. I think it was a mistake to do yet another reboot instead of just taking the last Legion and adding new characters while retaining the versions that fans loved.
    That could had been the best choice.
    I don't think it is cancelled, however (even if I want it), I think it will be relaunched with a new #1, among others books, including a new Green lantern book.
    Now, if it was stealth cancelled (something I highly doubt) then could mean: than Bendis was never interested in a Legion book, and he just wanted them to have a background book for Jon Kent to have adventures in the future? I don't think so. That would had been a huge step back for the Legion.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by SilverScarlet View Post
    No book in March....has it been cancelled?
    please dont give us hope

a2fd88245c1051b380abd9.25985552_.jpg

Spectacular Member

I say this as someone who considered himself a HUGE Bendis fan for a long time. Bendis' Powers reignited my love of comics back after flirting with walking away from the whole hobby back when that series debuted. I adore his Ultimate Spider-Man, Alias, and Daredevil runs - and anyone who wonders why he became such a big deal...if you haven't read that stuff it really holds up. Especially his Daredevil which is just all time great stuff. I'm not exaggerating when I say that Brian Michael Bendis is a big reason I still read comics, as his arrival at Marvel really kept me going when I was considering giving up comics. He's a really "important" writer for me. So I say this as someone who always roots for him to do well on books.

Unfortunately, as soon as he got on the New Avengers, I've had a love/hate relationship with his work. Some of his New Avengers stuff is quite good - Secret Invasion basically works - the buildup and the payoff of Dark Reign - but by the time they had him relaunch the books under the Heroic Age era something became abundantly clear: He's not great on old fashioned Roger Stern/Kurt Busiek/Grant Morrison/Mark Waid type superheroes. And definitely not on Team books. His later Avengers stuff is pretty weak...really anything after 2010 is pretty spotty:

His Spider-Woman mini was kind of a cool idea but too ambitious for its own good (trying to be a motion comic just torpedoed the series apparently) and it left no impact

His Moon Knight was where I first started getting actively annoyed by his writing tics as it just didn't fit the character

His Guardians of the Galaxy is a flat out disaster - I can't believe how long he wrote it because its all just so bland and bad - To do 60ish issues of a comic, with some of the best artists in the business, and not produce one good story arc is a pretty damning "accomplishment"

His Iron Man stuff, including Infamous Iron Man and Iron Heart, is aggressively fine but it really felt like he was just jumping around to the last few characters at Marvel he hadn't had a run on

His Miles Morales book when he was brought over to 616 was pretty boring and struggled to find a direction even though he got such a big roll out following Secret Wars

In fairness, I liked some of his X-Men stuff but even that definitely kind of stalls out after 20 issues and you can tell he didn't really know where to go with it (or editorial got in his way) as both his X-Men books just kind of die on the vine by the end.

And then Age of Ultron and Civil War 2 are among the worst events in comic book history. It's really sad that his last big Marvel thing was Civil War 2 which is such a disaster that it almost ruined Carol Danvers right when she was supposed to be getting a big push by the company. Now that's not all Bendis' fault, editorial had a big hand in that obviously, but Bendis' name is still on the series.

The only book I like from his last few Marvel years is the Defenders series he did but that's mostly because of Marquez's unbelievable art and I was nostalgic for Bendis writing Jessica and Matt again.

Anyway - he moves to DC and in a surprise move takes over Superman, not Batman, despite still being associated with crime characters even though the last 10 years of his Marvel career were mostly pretty big superhero stuff

I tried with his Superman, I really did, but Man of Steel did not work for me and then the start of his runs just didn't grab me either. I think he actually has a good voice for all the characters but his plots just didn't work for me.

But - and sorry for the long buildup - what in the name of Zeus' butthole were they thinking giving him LOSH? I mean, maybe he really is a big fan of the property and this is a guy who has made a name for himself writing young superheroes (Ultimate Spidey, Miles Morales, Naomi) but it just immediately seemed like a bad fit. Maybe his name is the only thing that got DC to agree to relaunch the book, so maybe there weren't any other options so to speak, but its maybe the worst pairing of franchise with author that I can think of from the big two since Brubaker took over X-Men (and even that wasn't as obviously a poor decision as this)

I'm not a LOSH fan, but as a comic book reader of 30 years I know enough to know what they're about. Huge cast, big space world building, youthful energy (?)

And Bendis just isn't that guy. How could anyone who has read his Guardians of the Galaxy think this is the guy to rebuild the Legion and make it an important book again?

And of course they're giving him Justice League, that was inevitable from the moment it was announced he was coming to DC, but it's just hard to get excited about him on a team book anymore.

I am sorry for the devoted Legion fans that the book hasn't really lived up to their hopes. But unfortunately, as a Bendis "guy", it was very easy to predict.

I'm sure the book is relaunching in April or May and he'll still be on it. But the idea of him writing Justice League AND LOSH is...kind of a scary thought.

I'd be so much more interested in Bendis getting books like The Flash or something in Gotham. I just think he's big DC debut was bungled from the start and, as a big fan of his, it's been a shame to watch him fail to connect with Readers on any of his books (save for Naomi which really was pretty good).
    Last edited by Hcmarvel; 12-19-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    I'd be so much more interested in Bendis getting books like The Flash or something in Gotham. I just think he's big DC debut was bungled from the start and, as a big fan of his, it's been a shame to watch him fail to connect with Readers on any of his books (save for Naomi which really was pretty good).
    I feel like he really shines with the grittier stuff, like his Jessica Jones, and would shine with a street-level book centered on Red Hood or Catwoman or something like that. And for all the coming to DC bit, after reading his stuff with Norman Osbourne, I feel like he's already told a classic 'Lex Luthor' story, since his Osbourne was way more 'Lex' than Osbourne, IMO. It seems odd to see him actually maybe writing Lex now, since he's told that tale already.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post

But - and sorry for the long buildup - what in the name of Zeus' butthole were they thinking giving him LOSH? I mean, maybe he really is a big fan of the property and this is a guy who has made a name for himself writing young superheroes (Ultimate Spidey, Miles Morales, Naomi) but it just immediately seemed like a bad fit. Maybe his name is the only thing that got DC to agree to relaunch the book, so maybe there weren't any other options so to speak, but its maybe the worst pairing of franchise with author that I can think of from the big two since Brubaker took over X-Men (and even that wasn't as obviously a poor decision as this)

I'm not a LOSH fan, but as a comic book reader of 30 years I know enough to know what they're about. Huge cast, big space world building, youthful energy (?)

And Bendis just isn't that guy. How could anyone who has read his Guardians of the Galaxy think this is the guy to rebuild the Legion and make it an important book again?

And of course they're giving him Justice League, that was inevitable from the moment it was announced he was coming to DC, but it's just hard to get excited about him on a team book anymore.

I am sorry for the devoted Legion fans that the book hasn't really lived up to their hopes. But unfortunately, as a Bendis "guy", it was very easy to predict.

I'm sure the book is relaunching in April or May and he'll still be on it. But the idea of him writing Justice League AND LOSH is...kind of a scary thought.
    Thaks for your perspective on the situation with Bendis, Hcmarvel. I think the DC people who choose Bendis for the Legion had in mind the guy who wrote Ultimate Spider-man would be a good fit to write a team of teenagers. He did already in Young Justice so why not? But the problem is than the Legion has become into permanent teenagers once and again. So instead of trying use the Robin strategy and make new characters to keep the names, they choose once and again to reboot the characters. Considering than we already had a massive retcon in 2011, this one was unwanted for. It is the equivalent for New52 earth 2 when everybody was expecting to see the JSA on a parallel universe again.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin