Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I suspect that Levitz was not pleased when the readers elected Polar Boy as leader. Prior to that, Paul depicted Polar Boy in a generally favorable, competent light. Afterwards, his portrayal of Brek changed to, at the very least, trying too hard and maybe a little incompetent.

The thing I remember most is how my favorite Legionnaire, Timber Wolf, kept coming in fourth place for a few elections in a row, and then, in the last leader election just a few issues before the series ended and Five Years Later started, he came in second next to Sensor Girl. Deputy leader for one storyline, then turned into a mindless Furball ( ) for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    While the classic team is my favorite, I do love some of the individual characters from the Reboot (Kid Quantum 2, Dragonmage) and Threeboot (Gazelle, Theena), and would enjoy a sort of 'combo-boot' that integrated some of the teams together (skipping duplicates. I do NOT want to read about three different Ultra Boys, together, even if he is one of my favorite Legionnaires overall!).

Indeed, I'd love to read a 'Legion of One World,' composed of Legionnaires from different continuities who do NOT have duplicates in the other worlds. So no Founders, no Brainy, no Dream Girl, none of the characters that exist in all three of the 'main' continuities. But yes to Shikari and Tellus and Dream Boy, Tyroc and Gates and Sizzle, characters that only exist in one of the three continuities (or four, counting new, new Legionnaires like Monster Boy and 'Gold Lantern'). That could be fun and different.
    What about Quislet? One of my favorites!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaxman View Post
    Wasn't a big fan of the Legion pre-mid 80's. So maybe someone can tell me how they justified Super-boy, Super-girl, Mon-el and Ultra Boy being on the team at the same time when they had a rule of no duplicate powers? Even with Ultra boy only being able to use one power at a time it's still the same powers as a SB and Mon. I mean, that's the reason Alya got that stupid gravity powers instead of her lightning.
    I think Ultra Boy's Penetra-Vision could see through lead!
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    The thing I remember most is how my favorite Legionnaire, Timber Wolf, kept coming in fourth place for a few elections in a row, and then, in the last leader election just a few issues before the series ended and Five Years Later started, he came in second next to Sensor Girl. Deputy leader for one storyline, then turned into a mindless Furball ( ) for years.
    Yeah, that had to be a challenge for Levitz to even address Timber Wolf being elected Deputy. Luckily it was only for a short period of time before he left the book.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I suspect that Levitz was not pleased when the readers elected Polar Boy as leader. Prior to that, Paul depicted Polar Boy in a generally favorable, competent light. Afterwards, his portrayal of Brek changed to, at the very least, trying too hard and maybe a little incompetent.

Oh yeah -- lots of stuff that happened in FYL annoyed me. Most of my favorite characters were gone or horribly changed. I never really minded that it ended -- because everything about it seemed like it was snowballing to an inevitable, dark conclusion.

Extraordinary Member

What was your favorite storyline or issue # of Legion of Super Heroes?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Storyline - the Universo Project (vol 3, #32-35) followed by the Great Darkness Saga and Nemesis Kid's LSV / An Eye for an Eye?
    Elseworlds - Superboy's Legion
    Stand-alone issue - #301, Cham (and RJ Brande) return to Durla on a quest to restore Cham's powers

Astonishing Member

Hmm. Tough question, but here's my attempt to answer

All time favorite issue -- Superboy and the LSH #202. It was a 100-page spectacular with the brilliant Nick Cardy as cover artist. Two stories with art by Dave Cockrum (my all-time favorite artist), and the first part of Lore of the Legion -- also by Cockrum. Also -- the very dramatic for its time reprint of Super Stalag of Outer-Space where a handful of new characters are killed by prison guards. Another dramatic story where Star Boy is court martialed and loses membership due to killing in self-defense.

Great Darkness Saga is my favorite conclusion to a story arc. Admittedly, the conclusion was what got me reading Legion again after a long absence. I can't say it's actually my favorite storyline because the early parts of it are a little rough -- or didn't hold up that well -- in comparison to the conclusion.

So Eye for an Eye is my all-time favorite. Lots of drama -- and great moments for two underrate characters -- Light/Lightning Lass and Princess Projectra. And, of course, the sacrifice of Karate Kid. A very tragic ending to the three remaining characters introduced by Jim Shooter with Nemesis Kid's execution at Projectra's hands.

I actually loved the Shvaughn/Sean storyline. It was interesting sci-fi, and the first, serious trans character in a mainstream comic.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    So Eye for an Eye is my all-time favorite. Lots of drama -- and great moments for two underrate characters -- Light/Lightning Lass and Princess Projectra. And, of course, the sacrifice of Karate Kid. A very tragic ending to the three remaining characters introduced by Jim Shooter with Nemesis Kid's execution at Projectra's hands.
    Eye For An Eye is a favorite among a lot of Legion readers. It was a great story but bittersweet for me because I loved Karate Kid. He was in my top 5 favorite Legionnaires.

But Paul Levitz was correct when he said that although he really liked Karate Kid, you can't just always kill the Chemical Kings. You have to kill off someone that will resonate long-term.

It was indeed a tragic ending for those characters that joined the Legion together for sure.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Stand-alone issue - #301, Cham (and RJ Brande) return to Durla on a quest to restore Cham's powers
    My favorite stand-alone issue came just a few issues later - #304 with several Legionnaires involved with the Legion Academy students. Not sure why I liked it so much, but there's no denying it was one of the best issues.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...eroes-304.html

Astonishing Member

Been rereading my various Legion runs and Levitz run remains the classic to beat. It's quality was top notch and very consistent. The characters, the world building all sing to life. It's breath taking. I've loved the various incarnations of the Legion, like Waid's reboot, but they all are inconsistent and too many limp to the end. It's too bad Bedard didn't continue past his "Quest for Cosmic Boy" arc, that was when the title was at its peak IMO. Bendis is taking the Legion into an interesting new direction, what I adore about the Legion is that it constantly changes.

Mighty Member

Paul Levitz was doing the Legion for the longest time to. I thought he was just the writer for volume 3, (1984 -1989), but he started writing the Legion as early as 1977 under Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Superboy_...roes_Vol_1_225

With the exception of a 2 year hiatus under George Conaway, he appears to have been primarily the sole writer for the decade. (I remember Conoway via picking up back issues of the legion as a teen, because I think he had my favourite Legionairres more in the spotlight than Levitz)

As for today's Legion, I gave the recent series a shot, but the Legion of my childhood was wiped out in the 1994 Zero Hour timeline reset...so I've never quite been able to get back into them.

Ultimate Member

My favorite stand-alone issue came just a few issues later - #304 with several Legionnaires involved with the Legion Academy students. Not sure why I liked it so much, but there's no denying it was one of the best issues.

http://legionofsuperbloggers.blogspo...eroes-304.html

Oh yeah, any issue devoted to 'lower decks' type characters, such as Tryouts issues, or issues devoted to the Academy students or Subs, rank right up there on my favorites list. As much as I love core classic Legionnaires like Shadow Lass and Ultra Boy, I'm also a huge fan of (usually) Legion-adjacent characters like Night Girl, Laurel Kent, Nightwind, Crystal Kid, etc.

I'd happily read a mini-series about the adventures of the one-off characters introduced in the Universo Project, imprisoned alongside Imra, Reep, Brainy and Dreamy, like Silver Sword, Energax, Gas Girl, those acrobatic twins (whose names I forget) and Xera of Manna-5!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

My all time fave issue is probably Superboy and The Legion of Superheroes issue 251. Brainiac 5 has had a complete mental breakdown and gone insane. He creates the creature Omega that is so powerful that not even the strongest members of the Legion can stand against it. The team fights the creature across space until the final showdown at Legion HQ.