Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Spider-Man: Life Story (possible extention?)

For those who haven't read this collection "Spider-Man: Life Story" tell us the story of Spider-Man (and by extention, the whole Marvel Universe) in real time. I found it very interesting, especially by the irony that, by the ages of the characters, my parents could have the same age than Peter and Mary Jane, and I have the same age than Peter and MJ's kids (Claire and Ben).

Each issue showed a lot of stories taken from the different arcs of each Spider-Man's decade, kinda combined between themselves. I truly wanted to see more of it. Some "historic events" were changed, however. For example, Venom's symbiote bonded with Kraven instead of Eddie Brock, Eddie was nowhere to be seen and that bugged me. How did that affected the story of the other symbiotes, like Carnage? I truly want to know that.

Also, I believe the story could continue. I mean, the last issue is in 2019, and Peter Parker dies at 72 years old. However, there are some ways for 2019 to be a "reset button" for not just Spider-Man, but the whole "old generation" to still be alive.
    + For Spider-Man and his supporting cast, we have the whole "Clone Conspiracy", with Peter and all the died characters being brough back to life because of a twisted clone of Peter. (In this incarnation, it could be Kaine).
    + For the rest of Marvel's old Generation, we have Dr Doom. The last issue clearly represents the Secret Wars of 2015, with Doom conquering the world instead of Battleworld. What happened with the other heroes? According to Peter, they were all dead or disappeared. In Battleworld, Doom trapped all the heroes who ever defied him in a place where they would be eternally fighting and killing each other, to punish them. Doom could have done something similar, but in a different way. Do you remember his "Liddleville"? A more advanced version of this invention could work as a place where the missing heroes are trapped; and Doom made them young again so they could keep fighting and killing each other forever. That is, until Peter manages to destroy all Doom's tech in the planet and frees all the rejuvenated heroes.

What do you think? Don't you want to see more of this story?

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    For those who haven't read this collection "Spider-Man: Life Story" tell us the story of Spider-Man (and by extention, the whole Marvel Universe) in real time. I found it very interesting, especially by the irony that, by the ages of the characters, my parents could have the same age than Peter and Mary Jane, and I have the same age than Peter and MJ's kids (Claire and Ben).

Each issue showed a lot of stories taken from the different arcs of each Spider-Man's decade, kinda combined between themselves. I truly wanted to see more of it. Some "historic events" were changed, however. For example, Venom's symbiote bonded with Kraven instead of Eddie Brock, Eddie was nowhere to be seen and that bugged me. How did that affected the story of the other symbiotes, like Carnage? I truly want to know that.

Also, I believe the story could continue. I mean, the last issue is in 2019, and Peter Parker dies at 72 years old. However, there are some ways for 2019 to be a "reset button" for not just Spider-Man, but the whole "old generation" to still be alive.
    + For Spider-Man and his supporting cast, we have the whole "Clone Conspiracy", with Peter and all the died characters being brough back to life because of a twisted clone of Peter. (In this incarnation, it could be Kaine).
    + For the rest of Marvel's old Generation, we have Dr Doom. The last issue clearly represents the Secret Wars of 2015, with Doom conquering the world instead of Battleworld. What happened with the other heroes? According to Peter, they were all dead or disappeared. In Battleworld, Doom trapped all the heroes who ever defied him in a place where they would be eternally fighting and killing each other, to punish them. Doom could have done something similar, but in a different way. Do you remember his "Liddleville"? A more advanced version of this invention could work as a place where the missing heroes are trapped; and Doom made them young again so they could keep fighting and killing each other forever. That is, until Peter manages to destroy all Doom's tech in the planet and frees all the rejuvenated heroes.

What do you think? Don't you want to see more of this story?

i don't think clone conspiracy was a noteworthy enough story g to port across and i really like that life story is just a stand alone finite story with a defined ending

rare in this day and age
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i don't think clone conspiracy was a noteworthy enough story g to port across and i really like that life story is just a stand alone finite story with a defined ending

rare in this day and age
    That's because Clone Conspiracy is very recent compared to all the others. Still, it can work as a way to continue Peter's life. Let's face it, even when they get old, superheroes just never stop.

That's because Clone Conspiracy is very recent compared to all the others. Still, it can work as a way to continue Peter's life. Let's face it, even when they get old, superheroes just never stop.
    but in this universe they do, that's part of its beauty
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    but in this universe they do, that's part of its beauty
    Maybe. Actually,this universe is what Earth-616 would be if time pass normally. Which means, reached some point, they would certainly resurrect all characters with somekind of magic-cosmic-munbo-jumbo, because that's what comics do. Secret Wars brought the Marvel Universe to an end, and then, the reset it again.

BANNED

I think there might be a follow-up to Life Story some day, but it won't be for decades. Like maybe in 2062, Old Man Zdarsky will come back for one last grizzled job and do "Life Century" to basically extend Peter's life up to the 2062, including the Spider-Man runs between 2020-2060 which have yet to be written.

Life Story remember came out on the cusp of Spider-Man's 60-Year anniversary, so there was a real-world impetus to do it, and Zdarsky's entire concept was the Spider-Man 616 Continuity as published in those decades still happened but to characters who aged in real-time. At the end of the day, Life Story is not meant to be an Alternate Universe that spins out, it's meant to be a closed thing.

Maybe Zdarsky can be convinced to do extensions, like say Captain America Life Story, or Doctor Doom Life Story, or even do deeper dives in some of the eras, but mostly I think this is it.

Astonishing Member

I dont see a continuation of spiderman life story but i can see a life story limited series for other marvel characters, maybe one for the Captain American is longer that starts in the 40s, a Avengers one, i would like a X-MEN one .

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I think there might be a follow-up to Life Story some day, but it won't be for decades. Like maybe in 2062, Old Man Zdarsky will come back for one last grizzled job and do "Life Century" to basically extend Peter's life up to the 2062, including the Spider-Man runs between 2020-2060 which have yet to be written.

Life Story remember came out on the cusp of Spider-Man's 60-Year anniversary, so there was a real-world impetus to do it, and Zdarsky's entire concept was the Spider-Man 616 Continuity as published in those decades still happened but to characters who aged in real-time. At the end of the day, Life Story is not meant to be an Alternate Universe that spins out, it's meant to be a closed thing.

Maybe Zdarsky can be convinced to do extensions, like say Captain America Life Story, or Doctor Doom Life Story, or even do deeper dives in some of the eras, but mostly I think this is it.

agree....also Peter is dead in the Life Story
    if they do an extension, it would be with Miles and Peter's kid
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

No but, after reading Zdarsky's first issue of X-Men/Fantastic Four - I really want to see him do an FF life story series.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    No but, after reading Zdarsky's first issue of X-Men/Fantastic Four - I really want to see him do an FF life story series.
    I will keep saying this, but after reading Zdarsky's, Marvel 2 in 1, he should have been given the FF book. Those 12 issues were better than anything Slott has done in the run so far.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    I will keep saying this, but after reading Zdarsky's, Marvel 2 in 1, he should have been given the FF book. Those 12 issues were better than anything Slott has done in the run so far.
    Zdarsky was too low-profile relatively speaking to get the gig of reviving Fantastic Four after a cancellation. I agree he's a better writer than Slott but the optics were not in his favor at the time. Zdarsky mostly has done limited series and minis, and second titles at Marvel with Daredevil being his first time as a lead writer.

And by the way....I agree completely about the X-Men/FF mini. Issue #1 is a complete delight, and it's cool that Zdarsky got to hang out with Hickman's crew (probably the coolest room to be in Marvel at the moment). And I would love to see him do more in the X-Corner. The art by the Dodsons in that issue is great.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starrius View Post
    agree....also Peter is dead in the Life Story
    if they do an extension, it would be with Miles and Peter's kid
    Yeah, I understand your point. But still, they adapted multiple stories involving Spider-Man to its different decades. If all the stories are involved, then there are several ways for old Peter Parker to still be alive... Or even be "reborn anew": The Other's arc, Clone Conspiracy, manipulations of the Spider Queen and the Jackal... etc. On alternative realities, characters can die and stay death permanently, but that doesn't make impossible for them to resurrect either. (MC2's Peter Parker seems to have been revived by the Other and I want to see that story).

BANNED

Yeah, I understand your point. But still, they adapted multiple stories involving Spider-Man to its different decades. If all the stories are involved, then there are several ways for old Peter Parker to still be alive... Or even be "reborn anew": The Other's arc, Clone Conspiracy, manipulations of the Spider Queen and the Jackal... etc. On alternative realities, characters can die and stay death permanently, but that doesn't make impossible for them to resurrect either. (MC2's Peter Parker seems to have been revived by the Other and I want to see that story).
    I just don't see the value of reviving Zdarsky's Life Story Peter to do any of that, though.

I mean ultimately if you want to do a second take on a "What if Peter aged" then do it again with a new Peter and a new take on how Peter's life would be had he aged. Eventually they might do that, you know.

Zdarsky got 6 issues one-per-decade, maybe Ed Piskor can do Spider-Man Grand Design (which he has expressed interest on twitter).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I just don't see the value of reviving Zdarsky's Life Story Peter to do any of that, though.

I mean ultimately if you want to do a second take on a "What if Peter aged" then do it again with a new Peter and a new take on how Peter's life would be had he aged. Eventually they might do that, you know.

Zdarsky got 6 issues one-per-decade, maybe Ed Piskor can do Spider-Man Grand Design (which he has expressed interest on twitter).
    Not really. My intention is actually, first, have the original story "expanded". That means, see more stories of Spider-Man adapted to each decade. In the 80s, we had Secret Wars, the Wedding (not seen) and Kraven's last hunt; all mixed together. However, other stories from this decade that I would like to see are the Evolutionary War, Atlantis Attacks and Acts of Vengeance (with Spider-Man becoming Captain Universe). And after that, we could have Peter's "reborn as a new" after the events of the lest issue, trying to find a new place in the new world. Maybe a time-traveling adventure involving Spider-Man 2099? Or maybe getting involved into the Spider-Verse?

BANNED

Not really. My intention is actually, first, have the original story "expanded". That means, see more stories of Spider-Man adapted to each decade. In the 80s, we had Secret Wars, the Wedding (not seen) and Kraven's last hunt; all mixed together. However, other stories from this decade that I would like to see are the Evolutionary War, Atlantis Attacks and Acts of Vengeance (with Spider-Man becoming Captain Universe). And after that, we could have Peter's "reborn as a new" after the events of the lest issue, trying to find a new place in the new world. Maybe a time-traveling adventure involving Spider-Man 2099? Or maybe getting involved into the Spider-Verse?
    I guess.

My feeling is that Zdarsky's take on a Peter aging is just that, Zdarsky's take.

Other writers and groups could do the concept differently. Maybe they wouldn't ground it like Zdarsky did so much on Spider-Man publication history i.e. fit the aging characters in roughly the same storylines that were published in the respective decades (which even Tom Brevoort, editor on the mini, was surprised by).

I am happy with Zdarsky's Life Story the way it is. But if I were being honest, it's far from my ideal on what a Spider-Man who aged in real time would be like, i.e. my headcanon and so on.