Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Actually curious as to which point the Oscars became to be mocked, ignored and joked at for being what they are.?
    Crash 2007
    Black Panther 2019
    Shakespeare in Love 1999

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Crash 2007
    Black Panther 2019
    Shakespeare in Love 1999
    Black Panther didn't win Best Picture.

Astonishing Member

Yeah if we wanna go by questionable nominees, there are far worse options than Black Panther.

Crash 2007
    Black Panther 2019
    Shakespeare in Love 1999
    Wasnt Shakespeare a Weinstein one ? Retroactively making the whole damn thing suspicious.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Yeah if we wanna go by questionable nominees, there are far worse options than Black Panther.
    Like which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Black Panther didn't win Best Picture.
    It was unnecessarily nominated, when far superior movies were released in the same year.

The Oscars must feel relieved with Parasite.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    IMHO, that is partially due to them being human characters (irregardless of how realistic Thanos is, we know he has to be CGI, since you can't make that character with practical effects). However, the emotion comes from the acting, which is what's behind Thanos as much as Wolverine, X-23, etc.

Subtle CGI can create realism. The Auschwitz concentration camp in X-Men 1 when Magneto bends the metals gates. The Aliens roaming around the streets in district 9, **** poop from Parasite. Its becoming a blessing when movies have limited budgets compared to Endgame or don't have to create big spectacles.

I don’t want “realism” if I’m going to have Thanos depicted on-screen. Thanos is huge. And purple. And has a scrotum chin. I know that shits not real.

I want CGI that looks good. And I got it.

Ultimate Member

This.

10characters.

Fantastic Member

Oscars have been mocked ever since they failed to nominate the dark knight in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    I don’t want “realism” if I’m going to have Thanos depicted on-screen. Thanos is huge. And purple. And has a scrotum chin. I know that shits not real.

Anymore realistic than David Jones who has the chin of multiple snakes or the Navis from Avatar. Its more than realism, Its more about advanced artistic CGI vs basic CGI/Video game CGI.

Stop settling for inferior movies and demand they get Oscars. There is no point giving Thanos an Oscar when Gollum, The Avatar Navis and Davy Jones have already won.

Anymore realistic than David Jones who has the chin of multiple snakes or the Navis from Avatar. Its more than realism, Its more about advanced artistic CGI vs basic CGI/Video game CGI.

Stop settling for inferior movies and demand they get Oscars. There is no point giving Thanos an Oscar when Gollum, The Avatar Navis and Davy Jones have already won.
    Stop telling me what to think about movies I like?

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Actually curious as to which point the Oscars became to be mocked, ignored and joked at for being what they are. Summer 2019 I visited the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and saw their lobby display of all the films that have won best picture since it started in 1927, and there were definitely some hits there that warranted the win. I've watched clips of past Oscar ceremonies and how they really were this grand event celebrating film.

So what the heck happened?
    Basically people started to a) think because they've seen tons of action films and a few (really not cult anymore) cult films like Mulholland Dr (2001) and Withnail and I (1987) they "know" cinema, b) there is a noticeable trend of people moving away from listening to informed opinions and being very rude about anything that doesn't agree with their views (no matter how uninformed they maybe).

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    **** if it was up to me Andy Serkis woulda got a best actor nom for playing Ceasar. That ape delivered more feeling and emotion then most real actors.
    It's a hard sell to get a nomination for that franchise, as it's on number 5 or 6? But I do think (personally) Serkis should have been nominated for the Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers (2002) for Best Supporting Actor. I'd have bumped out Christopher Walken for Catch Me If you Can (2002). But it was a tough year.
    Chris Cooper – Adaptation/Ed Harris – The Hours/Paul Newman – Road to Perdition as John Rooney/John C. Reilly – Chicago as Amos Hart/Christopher Walken – Catch Me If You Can as Frank Abagnale Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Wasnt Shakespeare a Weinstein one ? Retroactively making the whole damn thing suspicious.
    As I've said earlier in the thread, to people in the industry they love all the little details, and the cleverness of how they are expressed. It's very much a brilliant film for the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Shriveling_memo View Post
    Oscars have been mocked ever since they failed to nominate the dark knight in my eyes.

Crash 2007
    Black Panther 2019
    Shakespeare in Love 1999
    Oh this is a fun game:
    I was going to join in and list all my "least deserving Best Picture Nominees" but looking at them... all of them I kinda see why they were nominated. I agree Black Panther... no. That was political. But the others? I have films I don't enjoy, but that doesn't mean they aren't worthy. I personally did not care for Spotlight (2015). But it's not undeserving (it was just a weak year too). I definitely thought Gravity (2012) was a masterpiece and thought 12 Years A Slave (2012) was a noble effort, but shouldn't have won. But it's not a "bad" winner, just not my pick.

EDIT - Oh no, I lie. Les Miserables (2011). That film was NOT GOOD! And made fatal errors. It should not have been up for Best Picture.

EDIT EDIT - found a few more:
    Midnight in Paris (2010). It's bad. It's a bad film. And by Woody Allen's standards is SUPER bad.
    True Grit (2009). The remake didn't really justify it's existence. This shouldn't have been nominated either.
    the Departed (2006). Should NOT have won Best Picture. It's a shameless remake that's worse than the original film.

And yeah, Crash winning over Brokeback Mountain was pure homophobia. Period. The end.

Why not have CGI that looks good AND is realistic? Why can't we have both?

Stop telling me what to think about movies I like?
    I understand the sentiment... but if you're going to voice your opinion on-line... be prepared for people to say it's wrong.
    #truthbombOFLOVE
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-07-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Why not have CGI that looks good AND is realistic? Why can't we have both?
    Because Thanos is always going to look “fake”, because we know it it. The Na’vi look fake, too.

There’s not one person that’s going to be able to convince me that the Na’vi look “real” and that Thanos is sup-par CGI; the seriousness I’d take such a statement is staggeringly low. . I would contest that it’s a contrary statement just for the sake of MCU-bashing, though, which is quid quo pro for some folks.

I understand the sentiment... but if you're going to voice your opinion on-line... be prepared for people to say it's wrong.
    #truthbombOFLOVE
    I think you fail to realize the repetitiveness with which some posters claim their opinions as “facts”.

Astonishing Member

Like which one?
    Worst Best Picture Nominees than Black Panther:

Off the top of my head:

Dr. Doolittle (1968), Peyton Place(!!!!), Crash, Les Miserables, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Because Thanos is always going to look “fake”, because we know it it.
    Gollum wasn't fake, and on paper he can be just as "fake" in theory. I disagree, I think it would be possible to make Thanos real, one day (with a different vision behind it).

The Na’vi look fake, too.
    I've actually never seen Avatar (2009). It's on my list but... I don't really care too much about James Cameron's work. So, it's never been a priority.

I would contest that it’s a contrary statement just for the sake of MCU-bashing, though, which is quid quo pro for some folks.
    Well I'm not an MCU-basher, I like the films.

I think you fail to realize the repetitiveness with which some posters claim their opinions as “facts”.
    Ha! Fair point, but just remember it's all just opinion, some informed, few professional. NONE expert.

Worst Best Picture Nominees than Black Panther:

Off the top of my head:

Dr. Doolittle (1968), Peyton Place(!!!!), Crash, Les Miserables, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
    I've never heard of Peyton Place (1956), will have to look it up. BUT we are actually making a very good case for the Oscars to be respected. There are 5-10 Best Picture nominees every year, and we're already going back to the 60s to find examples of "bad choices." That (in my mind) speaks highly for the Oscars.

I think expanding the list to ten has let in more 'questionable' choices than when it was just 5 and only the best of the best made the cut.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."