Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Awards can be called shams and bought for when your beloved films don't win. What you can say is, it was worth it. A far cry from what the awards were a year ago. I was here in 2019 when Black Panther was nominated for political correctness, it was called a sham, a fiasco for laughs, an embarrassment to cinema, taking the spot of First Man.

I have not heard any of that this year from any film nominated. 2019 was a great year for movies, any one of those best picture nominees could have won. We were all told from the start that Parasite could pull an upset and it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Awards can be called shams and bought for when your beloved films don't win. What you can say is, it was worth it. A far cry from what the awards were a year ago. I was here in 2019 when Black Panther was nominated for political correctness, it was called a sham, a fiasco for laughs, an embarrassment to cinema, taking the spot of First Man.

I have not heard any of that this year from any film nominated. 2019 was a great year for movies, any one of those best picture nominees could have won. We were all told from the start that Parasite could pull an upset and it did.
    Agreed. Oscars have been politically correct since 2001. When Halle Berry won an Oscar for best actress in 2001, I at first asked myself, "was her performance in Monster's Ball worthy of an Oscar?" I thought Nicole Kidman's performance in Moulin Rouge! was more deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Agreed. Oscars have been politically correct since 2001. When Halle Berry won an Oscar for best actress in 2001, I at first asked myself, "was her performance in Monster's Ball worthy of an Oscar?" I thought Nicole Kidman's performance in Moulin Rouge! was more deserving.
    Halle's win was not about political correctness. She deserved it. She gave the most human performance of the 3 ladies films I saw. (Nicole and Rene)

Rocky is one of my all time favourites series. Stallone was nominated twice for playing Rocky. I don't accept the Joker's complaints although it was political or emotional challenged correctness that Heath Ledger won for the role. The award would have gone to someone else if he was alive.

Astonishing Member

All 4 acting awards were probably as close to unanimous as they have ever been. The same people were winning everything. Hollywood was in unison over all of the performances it seems. (The Vegas odds seemed to reflect that)

I've accepted that the Oscars don't reflect my personal taste in movies. Maybe with a younger, more diverse voting base their tastes may be changing. I don't know but it's subjective, I get to vote with my wallet. You do too.

That said, I saw 6/9 of the Oscar Nominated movies. Parasite was my runaway favorite. The "next two contenders", Ford vs. Ferrari and 1917 weren't kinda bleah to me.
    One of the few years where the movie i would have voted for actually won.

Meh Perasite was ok but in my opinion Hollywood and joker were by far the better movies.

1. Best Actor- So now this award is going to go to future actors who play the Joker now? It might as well be renamed the Best Joker. I think Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor but Adam Driver deserved it this year for Marriage Story. Joker is a good movie but overpraised.

Ya because everyone who played the joker has won a Oscar O wate it's only been 2 in over 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    3. Best Picture/Best Director/Best Original Screenplay/Best Foreign Language Film- Give the Foreign Language film to Parasite. I'm fine with it. The other awards...again there was backlash over the nominees being white and to make up for it they had to give out this award for representation. 1917 should have taken directing and Picture.
    This is all that I needed to see of this thread. Because non-white, non-Western countries aren't allowed to make good movies, apparently. They're not allowed to make movies that transcend language barriers, either. Only English-speaking primarily white films allowed in this category, folks. Only Hollywood films are allowed to be universal, and no other country, sorry.

I'd rather Parasite get the award than some mediocre, immemorable Hollywood film once again. But once, just once, the award gets to go to someone else for a change and suddenly there's an uproar and accusations of pandering, rather than the previous 90 years of Oscars. Talk about being a spoiled brat.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I stopped caring about the Oscars when I realized that it was just a bunch of rich, pretentious elitists giving shiny gold statues to other rich, pretentious elitists.

Also, some of my favorite movies and actors/actresses have never even been nominated for an Oscar. So my value in the award is non-existent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    This is all that I needed to see of this thread. Because non-white, non-Western countries aren't allowed to make good movies, apparently. They're not allowed to make movies that transcend language barriers, either. Only English-speaking primarily white films allowed in this category, folks. Only Hollywood films are allowed to be universal, and no other country, sorry.
    I really don't think that's what he's saying.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I really don't think that's what he's saying.
    What is he trying to say?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I'll say this again, "Hollywood" does not say anything with the Oscars. More of the 7000 voters thought that was the best than the other nominees, that is it. We don't know if an award was won by one vote or 1,000. We don't even know who voted, since some people let their wife or children or agent vote for them. No one has a big meeting and decides what message to send. For the most part, all the nominees deserve it. No matter your opinion, more Academy voters might have liked something else.
    There are massive Oscar campaigns by movie studios who do exactly this. Award shows like the Academy Awards are only about people who live and work in Hollywood.

Another thing I dint agree with was the Special effects. 1917 has hidden CGI which is amazing but I dont think it compares to just the detail on Thanos. Making a giant purple Alien look real seems like a bigger feat then what 1917 did with CGI. That said I woulda been fine with Mendes winning best director, the movie was amzing. I also don't think Edndgame should've won either. Lion King no matter what you think of the movie created CGI animals that looked at times truly photo real. Not the entire movie but some scenes can literaly be cut out and presented as a nature documentary and you wouodnt be able to tell. I think someone said there was stock footage of gazelles running in the beginning but other then that everything else was CGI. Also the they innovated some new VR tech that allows them create fully immersive CGI scenes and get instant feedback. Allowing Favrou to have more control over every shot then previously possible. Think that's also why they wanted to claim it was a Live action movies, that VR tech that I dont fully understand and just butchered explaining.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    What is he trying to say?
    Think he's trying to say parasite although a good movie didn't deserve to win that the reason it won was because it's foren I guess....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    All 4 acting awards were probably as close to unanimous as they have ever been. The same people were winning everything. Hollywood was in unison over all of the performances it seems. (The Vegas odds seemed to reflect that)

I've accepted that the Oscars don't reflect my personal taste in movies. Maybe with a younger, more diverse voting base their tastes may be changing. I don't know but it's subjective, I get to vote with my wallet. You do too.

That said, I saw 6/9 of the Oscar Nominated movies. Parasite was my runaway favorite. The "next two contenders", Ford vs. Ferrari and 1917 weren't kinda bleah to me.
    One of the few years where the movie i would have voted for actually won.
    Yeah in the acting categories the only real chances for an upset were maybe Scarlet over Dern for Jojo Rabbit. Phoenix, Pitt, and Zellweger were pretty much a layup.

The Oscars drew only 23.6 million viewers. The worst ratings in their history. We have gotten the memo the awards could be a sham. Why aren't people watching any longer.