Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    This is true. I didn't feel as removed as you on Thanos, but Golum was very real.
    Hey, to me Kermit the frog is a lot more real than a lot of CG characters.

This is true. I didn't feel as removed as you on Thanos, but Golum was very real.
    I will say, I don't know how much the body copying thing-y with the dots and motion thing-y (sorry, I don't know the name) they used with Gollum was used with Thanos. I believe Serkis used this technique with his Jungle Book movie and it did feel like Christian Bale was literally the jaguar. So impressive (film was a bit of a letdown though)
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Motion capture.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Lord of the rings cost less money to make, came out 20 years earlier but it still had superior CGI to Thanos. The Red flag is raised that the people behind Thanos did not do something right. Its part of the problem with today's cgi movies. We already know we have seen something superior so why should we settle for less and demand they get Oscars they don't deserve.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 02-29-2020 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Hey, to me Kermit the frog is a lot more real than a lot of CG characters.
    Because he is. Same with Yoda. I'd argue the reason that the world is losing its mind over Baby Yoda is because he is a puppet. The fact that he's actually on screen goes a long way to create viewer empathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    Lord of the rings cost less money to make, came out 20 years earlier but it still had superior CGI to Thanos. The Red flag is raised that the people behind Thanos did not do something right. Its part of the problem with today's cgi movies. We already know we have seen something superior so why should we settle for less and demand they get Oscars they don't deserve.
    Not talking about an oscar for Thanos, as had been repeatedly said. And we know you hated Endgame.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Because he is. Same with Yoda. I'd argue the reason that the world is losing its mind over Baby Yoda is because he is a puppet. The fact that he's actually on screen goes a long way to create viewer empathy.
    Yoda from episode 1 was a puppet. He looked dreadful. Baby Yoda is about cuteness.

Gollum was the best cgi model character of the 2000s. He inspired other fantasy films. Dobby and Griphook from Harry Potter had to get a new remodeling in the later movies because of Gollum.

Motion capture.
    THAT WAS IT! Oh thank-you thank-you. I'll try and remember it by thinking "stop motion"

Agreed. It's the same with the Dark Crystal, it has so much adoration and love because they were puppets. If it was CGI no-one would care half as much (though it's still awesome as a story and the score is GORGEOUS!)
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-01-2020 at 04:28 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    THAT WAS IT! Oh thank-you thank-you. I'll try and remember it by thinking "stop motion"

Agreed. It's the same with the Dark Crystal, it has so much adoration and love because they were puppets. If it was CGI no-one would care half as much (though it's still awesome as a story and the score is GORGEOUS!)
    Dark Crystal is mind boggling, the tv show effortlessly merges the CGI with the puppets and motion capture is there, I think. They do it all. That should have an Oscar, it has the required mega famous cast productions would kill for.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Dark Crystal is mind boggling, the tv show effortlessly merges the CGI with the puppets and motion capture is there, I think. They do it all. That should have an Oscar, it has the required mega famous cast productions would kill for.
    The movie took SEVEN YEARS to make. I'm shocked it didn't at-least get an honourary Oscar for that work. It was BAFTA nominated for visual effects.

For Millennials the Adrenaline Rush gotten from amusement rides Endgame spectacle bonanzas is now the new substitute for realism and emotion in cinema. Its better to have cheap but realistic age defining effects from The Irishman than to have in your face cgi from Endgame. Logan/X23 vs X24 is realism and emotion.
    IMHO, that is partially due to them being human characters (irregardless of how realistic Thanos is, we know he has to be CGI, since you can't make that character with practical effects). However, the emotion comes from the acting, which is what's behind Thanos as much as Wolverine, X-23, etc.

Also, I wouldn't be too sure about CGI not being able to create realism and emotion that's just as authentic as an actor's. Gollum from the Lord of the Rings movies and Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean come to mind.

I'd cite the above characters as evidence that CGI characters can deliver as well as puppets under the right circumstances. (Granted, having something real on stage, even if it's just a stuffed animal or something over a ping pong ball or piece of tape, does help actors deliver better performances, and that is why practical effects are often preferred by filmmakers, but I think, at the end of the day, best tools for the job at hand. The Jurassic Park movies have often used both, and, in many cases, the scenes that had a combo often turned out the best, not to mention also having instances where just CGI or just practicals were not completely up to scratch and so didn't work as well.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Actually curious as to which point the Oscars became to be mocked, ignored and joked at for being what they are. Summer 2019 I visited the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and saw their lobby display of all the films that have won best picture since it started in 1927, and there were definitely some hits there that warranted the win. I've watched clips of past Oscar ceremonies and how they really were this grand event celebrating film.

So what the heck happened?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Actually curious as to which point the Oscars became to be mocked, ignored and joked at for being what they are. Summer 2019 I visited the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood and saw their lobby display of all the films that have won best picture since it started in 1927, and there were definitely some hits there that warranted the win. I've watched clips of past Oscar ceremonies and how they really were this grand event celebrating film.

So what the heck happened?
    It's been like that for decades.

1952 when The Greatest Show on Earth won.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    IMHO, that is partially due to them being human characters (irregardless of how realistic Thanos is, we know he has to be CGI, since you can't make that character with practical effects). However, the emotion comes from the acting, which is what's behind Thanos as much as Wolverine, X-23, etc.

Also, I wouldn't be too sure about CGI not being able to create realism and emotion that's just as authentic as an actor's. Gollum from the Lord of the Rings movies and Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean come to mind.

I'd cite the above characters as evidence that CGI characters can deliver as well as puppets under the right circumstances. (Granted, having something real on stage, even if it's just a stuffed animal or something over a ping pong ball or piece of tape, does help actors deliver better performances, and that is why practical effects are often preferred by filmmakers, but I think, at the end of the day, best tools for the job at hand. The Jurassic Park movies have often used both, and, in many cases, the scenes that had a combo often turned out the best, not to mention also having instances where just CGI or just practicals were not completely up to scratch and so didn't work as well.)
    **** if it was up to me Andy Serkis woulda got a best actor nom for playing Ceasar. That ape delivered more feeling and emotion then most real actors.