Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 207
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    258

    Default 2020 Oscars are a sham...

    I used to love the Oscars. I thought it was a great night to celebrate good film making and acting. There have been winners who have won in the past and some that didn't. I didn't watch the show last night but here are my thoughts on some of the winners:

    1. Best Actor- So now this award is going to go to future actors who play the Joker now? It might as well be renamed the Best Joker. I think Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor but Adam Driver deserved it this year for Marriage Story. Joker is a good movie but overpraised.

    2. Best Supporting Actor- I thought choosing an actor for the acting awards was based on the best performance for the year not a career award or a makeup award. All along I've been reading that Brad Pitt was a shoe in for the award because "it's his time now." The AFI has an award for career and Brad should have been awarded and recognized there not at these awards. OUATIH is a good movie and Brad is great in it and charming, but can you really say he was better than Joe Pesci and Al Pacino in The Irishman or Anthony Hopkins in Two Popes?

    3. Best Picture/Best Director/Best Original Screenplay/Best Foreign Language Film- Give the Foreign Language film to Parasite. I'm fine with it. The other awards...again there was backlash over the nominees being white and to make up for it they had to give out this award for representation. 1917 should have taken directing and Picture.

    4. Best Actress- They love giving awards to actors playing historical figures which is why Renee Zellweger won. Scarlett Johansson deserved it for Marriage Story.

    5. Best Documentary- American Factory got it because Barack and Michelle Obama were the producers and they wanted a chance to give him a standing ovation, make a political speech pandering to the left.

    Just a few observations. This is why I can't watch the show anymore. It used to be fun and exciting, not anymore. I'll always still be curious and follow who gets nominated every year and it's still a good chance during the year to see some good performances and movies.

  2. #2
    Mighty Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,839

    Default

    None of your gripes seem very objective, or different than how the awards have gone in the past.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    3,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post

    5. Best Documentary- American Factory got it because Barack and Michelle Obama were the producers and they wanted a chance to give him a standing ovation, make a political speech pandering to the left.
    .
    This type of opinion on topic is the worst type of opinion on the internet. Did you watch all of the movies which one is better? Why? What merit it over this one?

    If you think the awards can be rigged why do you even care about the show or complaining who wins? Why wouldn't they rig other awards? How do you know which one is real and fake? What is the point in complaining about or watching a fake award show?
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 02-10-2020 at 07:34 AM.

  4. #4
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    928

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    None of your gripes seem very objective, or different than how the awards have gone in the past.
    That is what I was going to say. Especially number 2. That happens ALL the time with Oscars. Where the actor/director get it because it's "their time" or voters feel like they should have gotten it long before then but somehow didn't. The one they eventually win for may not have been their best movie or best role, but it was good enough where voters say ok his turn (unofficial lifetime achievement).

    Period pieces always have a leg up over "modern/contemporary" stories as well. That's not new. Not saying its right or how it should be but that's not a new occurrence.

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,185

    Default

    3. Best Picture/Best Director/Best Original Screenplay/Best Foreign Language Film- Give the Foreign Language film to Parasite. I'm fine with it. The other awards...again there was backlash over the nominees being white and to make up for it they had to give out this award for representation. 1917 should have taken directing and Picture.
    Huh?

    Months before the Oscars, a lot of critics and "ordinary people" (even geek outlets) said Parasite was the best movie they had seen last year.

    So, I'm not at all surprised the movie swept up the awards. Just because the movie doesn't feature white people doesn't mean it wasn't the best movie of the year.
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    With the Orishas
    Posts
    6,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This type of opinion on topic is the worst type of opinion on the internet. Did you watch all of the movies which one is better? Why? What merit it over this one?

    If you think the awards can be rigged why do you even care about the show or complaining who wins? Why wouldn't they rig other awards? How do you know which one is real and fake? What is the point in complaining about or watching a fake award show?
    Exactly.

    That's why I posted earlier especially about the Parasite part because that movie was the MOST critically acclaimed movie of the past year. Months before the Oscars.

    At least one should watch the movies and critique them instead of attributing everything to politics. Arguments like these are the worst because they are extremely reductive and completely ignore everything about the movies i.e the writing, script e.t.c
    "Obviously not all conservatives are racists/bigots but all racists/bigots claim to be conservative"- Unknown

  7. #7
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Why are you ranting because the people you wanted to win didn't? I wanted Joker to win but I'm not upset about it,in fact I'm happy Parasite won. It was a critically acclaimed film that acknowledged a foreign country's art. This is one of the few times I would say there was no gain by Parasite winning. It really seems as though the film's creativity and writing is the reason it won.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 02-10-2020 at 08:11 AM.

  8. #8
    Mighty Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    1,430

    Default

    The Oscars, Golden Globes, all of these Hollywood hand me a trophy awards are a sham. And it doesnt matter who wins or loses there are always people there to yell about who was screwed over. If you think they are that bad why bother watching them at all?

    Just watch the movies and enjoy them on their own. Dont worry about who wins what award. I have never been swayed by a movies buzz or awards. If I see the preview and it looks good I will watch it. If not I wont.
    Last edited by babyblob; 02-10-2020 at 08:12 AM.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

    Pull List - Lois Lane, Amazing Mary Jane, Black Cat, Doctor Doom, Gwen Stacy, Jane Foster Valkyrie, Morbius Savage Avengers, Strike Force, Something Is Killing The Children

    My name change was approved. Old name. Tbaron

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    10,299

    Default

    I'll say this again, "Hollywood" does not say anything with the Oscars. More of the 7000 voters thought that was the best than the other nominees, that is it. We don't know if an award was won by one vote or 1,000. We don't even know who voted, since some people let their wife or children or agent vote for them. No one has a big meeting and decides what message to send. For the most part, all the nominees deserve it. No matter your opinion, more Academy voters might have liked something else.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  10. #10
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    20,335

    Default

    Don't take this the wrong way, but not a goddamn thing you said make a lick of sense. You don't like awards shows? Fine, I have no use for them either. You think films you like got the shaft? Too bad! Dry your tears and get over it, that sort of thing happens EVERY year. Just enjoy the movies you like and not get worked up over awards it won, or didn't win.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  11. #11
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,977

    Default

    I long ago gave up on the Oscars and I don't watch them. I only care about them if they can help a movie I like make back its budget.

    I really didn't see what the big woof was about Adam Driver in MARRIAGE STORY. He puts in a perfectly acceptable performance, but his acting isn't especially note-worthy. I think for acting you have to give it to Anthony Hopkins--he's so good at it by now that he can do so much with just a twist of his hand or a tilt of his head. Anyway, acting awards are given for the body of work usually so that's why Phoenix and Pitt won--it was about time they got one. Driver will get one eventually, probably, but he has to wait his turn.

    This Oscar season was a text book example of how they work. You can see how movies become frontrunners to be replaced by others and then a narrative overtakes the awards and an unlikely movie now becomes the darling--a chance for the voters to make themselves look good because they're bestowing favour on the outsider rather than the big budget Hollywood spectacular.

    It's not about rewarding the best movies--it's about rewarding the best campaigns for votes.

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,139

    Default

    It does seem the typical rant when the ones someone wanted to win didn't. Then we have the left wing rant or the remark about how now everyone who plays the Joker will get an auto-Oscar because a Joker performance has won a second time now.

    Is there backstage maneuvering regarding who wins an Oscar? Yes. George C. Scott said that decades ago and he said it when he won the Oscar so it wasn't sour grapes. But that's every Oscars show.
    His name is CAPTAIN MARVEL.

  13. #13
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,249

    Default

    It’s just peoples opinions on film. All the acting awards but Dern were telegraphed all award season

  14. #14
    Mighty Member C_Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    3. Best Picture/Best Director/Best Original Screenplay/Best Foreign Language Film- Give the Foreign Language film to Parasite. I'm fine with it. The other awards...again there was backlash over the nominees being white and to make up for it they had to give out this award for representation. 1917 should have taken directing and Picture..
    If you think Parasite didn't deserve Best Picture, I'm just going to assume you didn't bother seeing it. There's no such thing as actual best. How do you quantify that? 1917 would have deserved it to, as would a couple other movies on the list. But to say that it's just pandering and it's to protect themselves from criticism is a laughably wrong statement.

  15. #15
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I used to love the Oscars. I thought it was a great night to celebrate good film making and acting. There have been winners who have won in the past and some that didn't. I didn't watch the show last night but here are my thoughts on some of the winners:

    1. Best Actor- So now this award is going to go to future actors who play the Joker now? It might as well be renamed the Best Joker. I think Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor but Adam Driver deserved it this year for Marriage Story. Joker is a good movie but overpraised.

    2. Best Supporting Actor- I thought choosing an actor for the acting awards was based on the best performance for the year not a career award or a makeup award. All along I've been reading that Brad Pitt was a shoe in for the award because "it's his time now." The AFI has an award for career and Brad should have been awarded and recognized there not at these awards. OUATIH is a good movie and Brad is great in it and charming, but can you really say he was better than Joe Pesci and Al Pacino in The Irishman or Anthony Hopkins in Two Popes?

    3. Best Picture/Best Director/Best Original Screenplay/Best Foreign Language Film- Give the Foreign Language film to Parasite. I'm fine with it. The other awards...again there was backlash over the nominees being white and to make up for it they had to give out this award for representation. 1917 should have taken directing and Picture.

    4. Best Actress- They love giving awards to actors playing historical figures which is why Renee Zellweger won. Scarlett Johansson deserved it for Marriage Story.

    5. Best Documentary- American Factory got it because Barack and Michelle Obama were the producers and they wanted a chance to give him a standing ovation, make a political speech pandering to the left.

    Just a few observations. This is why I can't watch the show anymore. It used to be fun and exciting, not anymore. I'll always still be curious and follow who gets nominated every year and it's still a good chance during the year to see some good performances and movies.
    You think Joe Pesci gave a better performance? I love the guy and wanted him to win just becuase. But his performance wasnt anything special. Pacino and Denior did all the heavy lifting and I dont think they deserved Oscar's either. William Defoe should won this year and if not him then Its a toss to between hopkins and Pitt for me.

    While I do think Driver gave a better performance, Phoenix also was great and did way more acting. So that one I think makes sense too, two great performances and the one who did more acting and carried the movie won. I think Sandler not being in the conversation with those 2 is the real sham. I feel like Sandler and Jlo were snubbed simply because they arent seen as Oscar caliber actors. But I'd argue Sandlers performance against anyone's. I feel like his performance was great and like Phoenix he carried his film. But doesnt Matter I have no issues with Phoenix winning. Congrats to the man he deserved it.

    Also was very happy that Waititi won for Best adapted screenplay. The movie was brilliant and in happy he won something. So congrats to Waititi for being the first Polyneisan film maker to win an oscar.. think a Tahitian actress won best supporting oscar in the 60s but he was the first filmmaker to win a major oscar that I know of. I doubt Mamoa or The rock coming for an oscar anytime soon, so might be a long wait for best actor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •