Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Some people are blind to what's before them. That happens with anything. Like Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy is politically quite...well centrist neoliberalism is my polite word for it...not too right wing that it's faschy but quite anti-leftist. And yet Rush Limbaugh thought that Bane was a reference to Bain Capital, i.e. a company that Romney worked for. A political controversy can erupt over random things even stuff that's actually on the same side of that critic. And sometimes people miss more subtle stuff.

Right. And you also had that Abbot and Costello and those horror movies which crossed over back in the day.

LOGAN is certainly more political than the Mark Millar comic it drew ideas from. Millar's comic is just a gore-fest about old dudes killing people in their final days and feeling guilty about stuff...whereas LOGAN is saying stuff.

Some of it is accidental. The movie was written, entered production, and was edited before Trump got elected and got released in March 2017, just months after his inauguration. Had Hillary won (and it was fairly close had she gotten the Rust Belt in line and gotten one of the swing states), I think the movie might have played differently. But the sense of righteous anger and disgust at the start...the fact that the superheroes didn't just lose but lost badly, and they lost anti-climactically to unworthy opponents really spoke to the sense of anger and bitterness people had about the 2016 election and just 2016 in general. I mean remember how many people joked about 2016 feeling like "the worst possible timeline" or out of something dystopian...well LOGAN really tapped into the zeitgeist.

It's quite a good thing that the first superhero movie in the Trump Presidency, which is what LOGAN is, is a story of a superhero failing and dying at the end. LOGAN is basically a movie for "The Resistance" you know the bad guys have won and are in power and the boomers and Gen-X'rs failed, and all those few old dudes who are still around and sad and hopeless can do is lay down their lives for the kids and the future.

Whereas Joker 2019 really feels astroturfed. It's a movie set in the '80s but is plainly about stuff that are hot topics of the last decade. It alludes to Bernie Goetz but doesn't deal with the baggage of that allusion. So it's got nothing specifically political to say
    This is true about the Joker. Wonder Woman captured the 1910s era of World War 1. Joker didn't do as good of a job to capture the 80s settings or the themes that defined the 80s. It is still a movie worthy of rewatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    How have the MCU done more harm to the genre?
    Had Endgame had any true cinematic meaning. It should have won 3-5 Oscars. Avatar was about blue people, I believe to be spoofy alternative universe native Americans. Its a better political movie to Endgame that has nothing to say about life.
    Last edited by Marvelgirl; 02-18-2020 at 12:00 PM.