Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

The Oscars lost their gloss with the public IMO with the back to back wins of Titanic and Shakespeare in Love beating LA Confidential and Saving Private Ryan.

Titanic while a lesser film was at least big hit and crowd pleaser like most Oscar winners up to then Shakespeare in Love started the Oscar's Weinstein Effect where Harvey pushing Miramax influenced the Oscar Community into believing the nominees had to be films "worthy" of the nomination you know "Cinema". Most films nominated over the next decade were films most people never saw and public lost interest there were exceptions like Return of the King though most were virtual unknowns to the average person.

The "no ones seen it" thing really came into effect a few years ago with moonlight. I disliked La La Land but Moonlight was seen by barely anyone

About the seen by no one thing. In the old days, the Academy would have screenings of nominated movies. Members could come and see the movies, but of course the screenings had to meet their schedules. But with the advent of DVDs, members got copies in their homes, so they could watch all the nominates movies at their leisure. So more of the members would see and decide if they think worthy, a movie like Moonlight. While outside factors like popularity and PD still have effects, these smaller movies are more likely to be considered.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The "no ones seen it" thing really came into effect a few years ago with moonlight. I disliked La La Land but Moonlight was seen by barely anyone
    The Artist in 2011 was another film very few of the American mainstream audience saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The Artist in 2011 was another film very few of the American mainstream audience saw.
    True. It was a modest hit, with $40 million domestically. But I saw it and loved it and thought it worthy of the Oscar.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Moonlight absolutely deserved Best Picture though. Truly incredible filmmaking that tackles issues that so rarely get portrayed on the screen, much less ones that are recognized by the Oscars.

Did well elsewhere though afaik, Moonlight wasnt even seen by Americans

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I used to love the Oscars. I thought it was a great night to celebrate good film making and acting. There have been winners who have won in the past and some that didn't. I didn't watch the show last night but here are my thoughts on some of the winners:

1. Best Actor- So now this award is going to go to future actors who play the Joker now? It might as well be renamed the Best Joker. I think Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor but Adam Driver deserved it this year for Marriage Story. Joker is a good movie but overpraised.

2. Best Supporting Actor- I thought choosing an actor for the acting awards was based on the best performance for the year not a career award or a makeup award. All along I've been reading that Brad Pitt was a shoe in for the award because "it's his time now." The AFI has an award for career and Brad should have been awarded and recognized there not at these awards. OUATIH is a good movie and Brad is great in it and charming, but can you really say he was better than Joe Pesci and Al Pacino in The Irishman or Anthony Hopkins in Two Popes?

3. Best Picture/Best Director/Best Original Screenplay/Best Foreign Language Film- Give the Foreign Language film to Parasite. I'm fine with it. The other awards...again there was backlash over the nominees being white and to make up for it they had to give out this award for representation. 1917 should have taken directing and Picture.

4. Best Actress- They love giving awards to actors playing historical figures which is why Renee Zellweger won. Scarlett Johansson deserved it for Marriage Story.

5. Best Documentary- American Factory got it because Barack and Michelle Obama were the producers and they wanted a chance to give him a standing ovation, make a political speech pandering to the left.

Just a few observations. This is why I can't watch the show anymore. It used to be fun and exciting, not anymore. I'll always still be curious and follow who gets nominated every year and it's still a good chance during the year to see some good performances and movies.
    !? Like @thwhtGuardian sayd
    None of your gripes seem very objective, or different than how the awards have gone in the past.
    Everyone know that the oscar doesn't represent any quality but it's only politcal awards.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Everyone know that the oscar doesn't represent any quality but it's only politcal awards.
    What was political about Titanic or Gladiator or Braveheart or Return of the King?

There might be a political element to some awards, some years, the Oscars are by no means "political".

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Moonlight absolutely deserved Best Picture though. Truly incredible filmmaking that tackles issues that so rarely get portrayed on the screen, much less ones that are recognized by the Oscars.
    Oddly, while I much preferred La La Land (2016), Moonlight (2016) 'felt' more like a best picture. If that makes sense? That said, it was a weak year. A LOT of this years films nominees would have gotten it over Moonlight.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    That's not true. The Oscars very much present quality. It's some of the topic experts in the field picking films they think are good. What's more quality than that?

The Oscars lost their gloss with the public IMO with the back to back wins of Titanic and Shakespeare in Love beating LA Confidential and Saving Private Ryan.

Titanic while a lesser film was at least big hit and crowd pleaser like most Oscar winners up to then Shakespeare in Love started the Oscar's Weinstein Effect where Harvey pushing Miramax influenced the Oscar Community into believing the nominees had to be films "worthy" of the nomination you know "Cinema". Most films nominated over the next decade were films most people never saw and public lost interest there were exceptions like Return of the King though most were virtual unknowns to the average person.
    I think the issue with the general public seeing the films, is movies are so much more expensive. Back in the day people were a lot more willing to go to the movies and watch a drama that was being lauded by critics, because it didn't cost so much. Now... I ONLY go to the cinema to watch big screen spectacles, and even then it has to be a bloody good film to make me even do that.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    About the seen by no one thing. In the old days, the Academy would have screenings of nominated movies. Members could come and see the movies, but of course the screenings had to meet their schedules. But with the advent of DVDs, members got copies in their homes, so they could watch all the nominates movies at their leisure. So more of the members would see and decide if they think worthy, a movie like Moonlight. While outside factors like popularity and PD still have effects, these smaller movies are more likely to be considered.
    I stayed at a B&B once that was owned by one of the Academy people. They had a bunch of old "Academy edition" DVDs of movies available to watch (not that year's run of course). It was interesting. Thats how I first saw Sixth Sense. Overall I think its a good thing to do it this way rather than try and schedule screenings.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.