Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I stopped caring about the Oscars when I realized that it was just a bunch of rich, pretentious elitists giving shiny gold statues to other rich, pretentious elitists.

Also, some of my favorite movies and actors/actresses have never even been nominated for an Oscar. So my value in the award is non-existent.
    I just find it weird to watch what are at the end of the day industry awards. I don't mind that people in a particular line of work want show respect to their colleagues. But should I really care who they think did great sound editing this year? It's not like I watch Accounting Hall of Fame awards.

Mighty Member

Well, some people on this forum and elsewhere I'm sure are aspiring filmmakers or just have an interest in filmmaking in general. I'd always heard what a great director Martin Scorsese was but when watching Goodfellas I was only paying attention to the performances and characters. Only recently have I tried to pay attention to the camera shots and editing, and he really is a master for sure and has a certain style. Watching or following the awards in part helps to pique that interest.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Well............... some people on this forum and elsewhere I'm sure are aspiring filmmakers or just have an interest in filmmaking in general. I'd always heard what a great director Martin Scorsese was but when watching Goodfellas I was only paying attention to the performances and characters. Only recently have I tried to pay attention to the camera shots and editing, and he really is a master for sure and has a certain style. Watching or following the awards in part helps to pique that interest.

lol, What? Why don't you try leading with that next time, or not. You know, instead of being faux outrage guy over here with the numbered list of fake grievances.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I can understand some anger at films you want to win. But that is the whole deal with Awards shows. At times deserving people are passed over due to how the industry views things and more. A fact that the Emmy's and Grammy's for years have taken huge knocks over the last few decades.

In the E True Story from the early 2000's , Ed O'Neil discussed how the TV executives and TV reviewers hated....HATED ...Married with Children. That they called it the worst thing ever. And he joked no one on the show ever was nominated for an Emmy. As a knock at the actors , directors etc the show never had anyone nominated and the only nomination they ever received was for "costumes" . It became a running joke more or less as years have passed as many people point to this slight towards O'Neil who was really deserving of one.

Grammy's wise we all remember the day when Metallica lost a Grammy Award to Jethro Tull.

Sometimes a good movie , show or band loses . It happens. But its award shows. MTV back in the day used to poke fun at this with MTV Music Awards.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

award shows have always been shams. there is no point of them in any reality

Marriage Story was over praised.

Extraordinary Member

I haven't seen Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland, but I can't believe she could hold a candle to Judy Davis' portrayal in Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows back in the early 2000s (or for that matter, Tammy Blanchard as a young Judy Garland in the same tv film).

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Time is the only true measurement of quality when it comes to art. People’s subjective opinion tend to be to tied to the moment. Winning an award is nice, but having a movie people are still talking about years later is better( and probably more lucrative to).

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    So was Joker.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Astonishing Member

Time is the only true measurement of quality when it comes to art. People’s subjective opinion tend to be to tied to the moment. Winning an award is nice, but having a movie people are still talking about years later is better( and probably more lucrative to).
    Yeah sometimes winning the Oscar causes people to go "WTF were they thinking" decades later in the case of some Oscar winners too....it's interesting, I don't think history has looked back fondly at all of the Oscar Best Picture winners...

Extraordinary Member

I did think it was bs The Irishman got nominated for best vfx. Like wtf??? Somebody got a paycheck for that.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I did think it was bs The Irishman got nominated for best vfx. Like wtf??? Somebody got a paycheck for that.
    It looked great....

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    So was Joker.
    Haven’t seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I disagree. IMO, it was a near perfect movie.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    So was Joker.
    You can say that just about all of them.