Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 207
  1. #61
    Extraordinary Member Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Bet it'll be remembered long after a lot of these Oscar-winners are forgotten, too.
    That's true. A lot of people just take it as a given that Star Wars (the original) won the Oscar for it's year, 1977, and are surprised to learn that, although receiving probably a token nomination because of its popularity, it did not win. "Citizen Kane" is another one people just assume won. In both cases, the movies that won deserved to win but it's because of the longevity of SW and CK and some other movies that people assume they must have won. And I think you are right, that, despite the naysayers who think extremely popular popcorn movies are not remembered, I suspect Avengers Endgame will be remembered for a long time as a very popular movie people still want to see.
    His name is CAPTAIN MARVEL.

  2. #62
    Fantastic Member Marvelgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Bet it'll be remembered long after a lot of these Oscar-winners are forgotten, too.
    As 2019 was wrapping up, Endgame was already done and forgotten. It was before Martin Scorsese declared Endgame is not cinema, killing any chance Endgame had at the Oscars. Endgame got what it deserved. It's a bad movie only going to be remembered by MCU fans. It is delusional to think Endgame will be remembered first before Parasite, Ford vs Ferrari, Little Woman, 1917, Marriage Story, JoJo Rabbit, Once Upon a time in Hollywood and The Irishman. Any one of those movies could have won Best Picture.

  3. #63
    Fantastic Member Marvelgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    So was Joker.
    Joker was not over praised. It was an Oscar bait movie that succeeded doing just that. Wonder Woman is still the better DC film though it is not an Oscar bait movie.

  4. #64
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,072

    Default

    It is delusional to think Endgame will be remembered first before Parasite, Ford vs Ferrari, Little Woman, 1917, Marriage Story, JoJo Rabbit, Once Upon a time in Hollywood and The Irishman. Any one of those movies could have won Best Picture.
    More people saw Endgame than all those other movies combined. Why would it be delusional?

  5. #65
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Unfortunately there is some truth to this, but itís not wide spread. Put Reynolds or Hemsworth or Evans in the role instead of Driver, Iím pretty sure any of them wouldnít get a nomination.
    Reynolds/Hemsworth/etc would have to do a movie like "Call Me By Your name" in order to get a nomination. Or some other role where they significantly have to ugly themselves up/get fat for real/etc.

  6. #66
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    8,310

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    As 2019 was wrapping up, Endgame was already done and forgotten. It was before Martin Scorsese declared Endgame is not cinema, killing any chance Endgame had at the Oscars. Endgame got what it deserved. It's a bad movie only going to be remembered by MCU fans. It is delusional to think Endgame will be remembered first before Parasite, Ford vs Ferrari, Little Woman, 1917, Marriage Story, JoJo Rabbit, Once Upon a time in Hollywood and The Irishman. Any one of those movies could have won Best Picture.
    It was already forgotten? Where is your evidence for this? And Scorsese has clarified on mutiple occasions he wasnt talking about the MCU. He was talking about Huge franchises and Superhero movies in general. Funny to hear you call other people delusional after making comments like that. If 90% of the people who saw Endgame got amnesia, it would still have more people remember it then Ford V Ferrari. More people saw it then most those movies you listed combined

  7. #67
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    As 2019 was wrapping up, Endgame was already done and forgotten. It was before Martin Scorsese declared Endgame is not cinema, killing any chance Endgame had at the Oscars. Endgame got what it deserved. It's a bad movie only going to be remembered by MCU fans. It is delusional to think Endgame will be remembered first before Parasite, Ford vs Ferrari, Little Woman, 1917, Marriage Story, JoJo Rabbit, Once Upon a time in Hollywood and The Irishman. Any one of those movies could have won Best Picture.
    Bet people said the same thing about Star Wars back in '77.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  8. #68
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I really didn't see what the big woof was about Adam Driver in MARRIAGE STORY. He puts in a perfectly acceptable performance, but his acting isn't especially note-worthy.
    Ohhhhhhh I would massively disagree, he was brilliant in that film. Truly exceptional (and I personally think he should have won over Phoenix)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think for acting you have to give it to Anthony Hopkins--he's so good at it by now that he can do so much with just a twist of his hand or a tilt of his head.
    I would disagree. I think Hopkins was fantastic in the film BUT... why did Pryce have a Brazilian accent but Hopkins... had an English one? Either they should have both had English accents, or Hopkins should have done a German accent. It was very odd he didn't change his voice. But it's easily his best performance in over a decade, and he captured the mannerisms of the Pope beautifully.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    2019 was a great year for movies, any one of those best picture nominees could have won. We were all told from the start that Parasite could pull an upset and it did.
    SO, SO TRUE! Such a great year for movies, so many contenders could have won in different years. I remember when Brokeback Mountain (2005) was up for the Oscars, the Best Actor category was SO, STACKED! Every guy, in a different year, would have been the front-runner. It is luck who else is bringing movies out the same time. Both 1917 and Marriage Story could have truly swept the awards in a different year (such as the year of Green Book or Spotlight (2014))

    Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    When Halle Berry won an Oscar for best actress in 2001, I at first asked myself, "was her performance in Monster's Ball worthy of an Oscar?" I thought Nicole Kidman's performance in Moulin Rouge! was more deserving.
    Sissy Spacek should have won for In the Bedroom (2001), MY GOD she was incredible. The fact she had won before played against her. And yes, the fact no black actress had ever won Best Actress was maybe a factor (but Berry was still giving her career best work, it's not like it was unworthy of an Oscar, just not -- personally -- what I felt was the best performance). It was a good year for actresses. My personal ranking was:
    1st. Sissy Spackek for In the Bedroom
    2nd. Renee Zellweger for Bridget Jones' Diary
    3rd. Halle Berry for Monster's Ball
    4th. Nicole Kidman for Moulin Rouge!
    5th. Dame Judi Dench for Iris
    I mean WHAT A YEAR! When Judi Dench is the "5th best" performance, you know it was epic competition.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

  9. #69
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Also, some of my favorite movies and actors/actresses have never even been nominated for an Oscar. So my value in the award is non-existent.
    Which actors/actresses do you love who aren't nominated, or which of your favourite films do you feel were overlooked?

    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Another thing I dint agree with was the Special effects. 1917 has hidden CGI which is amazing but I dont think it compares to just the detail on Thanos. Making a giant purple Alien look real seems like a bigger feat then what 1917 did with CGI. That said I woulda been fine with Mendes winning best director, the movie was amzing. I also don't think Edndgame should've won either. Lion King no matter what you think of the movie created CGI animals that looked at times truly photo real. Not the entire movie but some scenes can literaly be cut out and presented as a nature documentary and you wouodnt be able to tell. I think someone said there was stock footage of gazelles running in the beginning but other then that everything else was CGI. Also the they innovated some new VR tech that allows them create fully immersive CGI scenes and get instant feedback. Allowing Favrou to have more control over every shot then previously possible. Think that's also why they wanted to claim it was a Live action movies, that VR tech that I dont fully understand and just butchered explaining.
    I think Lion King had a knock against it as a remake (which I get); as did Avengers: Endgame for being a sequel. Plus the special effects were FANTASTIC in 1917. I only just found out those rats weren't real.

    Personally I was SHOCKED Toy Story 4 won Best Animated Feature; where normally being the fourth of a series would heavily go against it (and for being unnecessary too). It was the major shocker of the night, for me. Klaus 100% deserved it more.

    Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    I'd always heard what a great director Martin Scorsese was but when watching Goodfellas I was only paying attention to the performances and characters. Only recently have I tried to pay attention to the camera shots and editing, and he really is a master for sure and has a certain style. Watching or following the awards in part helps to pique that interest.
    Bare in mind, sometimes the best directing you don't notice. A truly great director is often effortless, and don't have "look at me" moments.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    award shows have always been shams. there is no point of them in any reality
    The awards are voted for by some of the top people in the industry. There is merit to them. The nomination for Best Costume Design (for example) are only chosen by costume designers, they would in theory know better what is the most worthy to celebrate. Remember there is a difference between an opinion and an INFORMED opinion.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

  10. #70
    Mighty Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    I would disagree. I think Hopkins was fantastic in the film BUT... why did Pryce have a Brazilian accent but Hopkins... had an English one? Either they should have both had English accents, or Hopkins should have done a German accent. It was very odd he didn't change his voice. But it's easily his best performance in over a decade, and he captured the mannerisms of the Pope beautifully.
    Man, if this is true, Anthony Hopkins deserves an Oscar just for pulling off an accent other than Welsh for the first time in his long career.

  11. #71
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    Joker shpuld had won them all.


    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Marriage Story was over praised.
    I didn't think it got praised enough, frankly. It should have been a heavy front-runner to take Best Picture. And HOW was there no outrage for Noah Baumbach not being nominated for Best Director??? I don't think the director of Joker should have been in there (or Scorcese), but that's just me.

    Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I disagree. IMO, it was a near perfect movie.
    Agreed. It was so original, so creative. When Harry Met Sally (1989) meets Ordinary People (1980) with a dash of Kramer vs. Kramer (1979)

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Hate to say this, but it’s reality. Adam Driver is taken serious as an actor because he’s not very attractive.
    No, he's taken seriously because he's a fantastic actor.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Bet it'll be remembered long after a lot of these Oscar-winners are forgotten, too.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-13-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

  12. #72
    CBR's Good Fairy Kieran_Frost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    7,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    That's true. A lot of people just take it as a given that Star Wars (the original) won the Oscar for it's year, 1977, and are surprised to learn that, although receiving probably a token nomination because of its popularity, it did not win.
    I've never met a single person who thought Star Wars won Best Picture.

    FUN FACT: actually it was nominated for a lot, including Best Supporting Actor... the downside is Close Encounter of the Third Kind (1979) was ALSO up for a lot that year (and won more, I believe). It was a good year for sci-fi, but inevitably they split the vote.

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    "Citizen Kane" is another one people just assume won. In both cases, the movies that won deserved to win but it's because of the longevity of SW and CK and some other movies that people assume they must have won.
    I think a better example is the 1950 Academy Awards. Who was up that year for Best Actress. Anne Baxter & Bette Davis for All About Eve (1950), Judy Holliday for Born Yesterday (1950) and Gloria Swanson for Sunset Boulevard (1950). Ask most people (who know film) who won that year. I think they'd be very, very wrong. Because the iconic lines and moments Bette Davis and Gloria Swanson etched into cinema are what we remember. "Fasten your seatbelts, its gonna be a bumpy night."

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    As 2019 was wrapping up, Endgame was already done and forgotten. It was before Martin Scorsese declared Endgame is not cinema, killing any chance Endgame had at the Oscars.
    No. Hollywood doesn't actually like Scorsese, not really. In public they praise him, but behind closed doors he's pissed a lot of people off. Why do you think it took him so long to get an Oscar? Him slagging off Endgame probably AIDED it's chances of nomination, just to spite him. What hurt Endgame is a) it's a superhero film, b) it's a sequel, c) it was SUCH A GOOD YEAR for cinema, such a strong year. The competition was very high.

    Quote Originally Posted by luprki View Post
    Unfortunately there is some truth to this, but it’s not wide spread. Put Reynolds or Hemsworth or Evans in the role instead of Driver, I’m pretty sure any of them wouldn’t get a nomination.
    I love Ryan Reynolds, but he wouldn't get nominated for Marriage Story (2019) because he can't do drama in the same league as Driver. Did you see Woman in Gold (2015)??? I love him in comedy, but in drama Reynold... no, just no. He can do anger well, but a nuanced performance in a drama is so far beyond being able to be angry. Anger is the most boring choice any male actor can make, it's such an obvious choice, it's so often the "go too" emotion and it doesn't garner respect. But to be clear, what Driver did in Marriage Story transcended anger. It was an emotion whirlwind and it was incredible.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-13-2020 at 05:28 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

  13. #73
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,072

    Default

    I didn't think it got praised enough, frankly. It should have been a heavy front-runner to take Best Picture. And HOW was there no outrage for Noah Baumbach not being nominated for Best Director??? I don't think the director of Joker should have been in there (or Scorcese), but that's just me.
    I know more about judging Sound Editing and Mixing than I do about Best Director. I don't understand how half of the nominees get Best Director nominations and what doesn't.

    There are a lot of quiet/talky movies that get Best Director nominations. Where it seems like the strength of the picture is in the script and the acting performance and the director doesn't have to do that much if the cast is talented enough. The last movie where I felt I understood why it won best Director was "La La Land". It had a mixture of crazy, big musical numbers, and beautifully quiet shots.

    I would have given Avengers:Endgame a best director nomination just because of the scope of the movie alone.

  14. #74
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    There are a lot of quiet/talky movies that get Best Director nominations. Where it seems like the strength of the picture is in the script and the acting performance and the director doesn't have to do that much if the cast is talented enough.
    The idea that "quiet/talky movies" don't need direction and that they simply execute the script is ludicrous. Directing a scene, even dialogue scenes, and especially quiet dialogue scenes takes a lot of skill in terms of staging and most importantly pacing. That's all decided by the director.

    I would have given Avengers:Endgame a best director nomination just because of the scope of the movie alone.
    In the case of a movie like Avengers: Endgame, a Best Director credit is pretty dubious. For one thing a movie like that relies on extensive second unit and third unit work, most of the action scenes and choreography are done by stunt teams and action directors who create and devise whole scenes with pre-visualizations without any director involvement. In fact, directors on Marvel movies are largely there for "character development" with most of the action scenes, VFX and color grading handled separately with Feige having last say.

    That's kind of why a lot of the MCU movie actions and visual look has been consistent regardless of who directs them.

    Avengers Endgame might deserve a Best Picture nomination, but Best Director...probably not. For an action movie and an effects movie, and most of that not decided by the director (unlike say Lucas on Star Wars who got nominated, Cameron on Titanic and Avatar, and George Miller on Fury Road), it would be hard to make a case for nominating the Russos.

  15. #75
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    More people saw Endgame than all those other movies combined. Why would it be delusional?
    Because about as many people saw Avatar and people here go off about how forgotten it is all the time. Endgame isn't close to the most important MCU film by a longshot. It wasn't the best in it's two parter (Infinity War was). As time goes on, Endgame will get lost in the shuffle. I could see OUATIH going down as a Tarantino classic up there with any of them, Parasite being renowned for it's massive achievment, and Irishman being remembered for being the final piece of his Deniro gangster epics.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •