Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Bet people said the same thing about Star Wars back in '77.
    Star Wars was completely different. Star Wars was a phenomena that changed cinema. People saw special effects that they never saw before and it was the first very mainstream science fiction epic. It was the pop culture film for an entirely generation. Even the people in the "it" hollywood crowd new it was a game changer and they tried to give it as many Oscars as it realistically merited to honor it (nobody expected to win best picture anymore than people though Joker or another box office film would win). But it was alread highly respected and you couldn't go anywhere without seeing it.

BANNED

Star Wars 1977 won 6 Oscars + 1 Special Award for VFX. That's the most awards any Star Wars movie has ever got and the only time Star Wars ever got nominated for Best Picture and Best Director, and a nomination for screenplay too.

Mad Max Fury Road won 6 Oscars more recently.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Star Wars was completely different. Star Wars was a phenomena that changed cinema. People saw special effects that they never saw before and it was the first very mainstream science fiction epic. It was the pop culture film for an entirely generation. Even the people in the "it" hollywood crowd new it was a game changer and they tried to give it as many Oscars as it realistically merited to honor it (nobody expected to win best picture anymore than people though Joker or another box office film would win). But it was alread highly respected and you couldn't go anywhere without seeing it.
    Fair enough. Even then, though, how many people would've guessed that it'd still not only be watched today, but still going strong with new movies and shows decades later?

In any event, the point is that the idea that Endgame, or the MCU proper, is going to fade away and be forgotten is wishful thinking, at best, and, as we've seen historically, wining awards rarely has anything to do with lasts and is watched generations later.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    In any event, the point is that the idea that Endgame, or the MCU proper, is going to fade away and be forgotten is wishful thinking, at best,
    Avatar is an example of a movie that glommed the box-office but has had zero to none footprint in popular culture.

So I wouldn't be so confident about that.

...and, as we've seen historically, wining awards rarely has anything to do with lasts and is watched generations later.
    True.

I definitely think Parasite is going to be one of those Best Picture winners that does get remembered for a long time. It may not be your type of a movie, but it is one that has potential to enter the "canon."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I definitely think Parasite is going to be one of those Best Picture winners that does get remembered for a long time. It may not be your type of a movie, but it is one that has potential to enter the "canon."
    It's going to be a classic in Korean movie history. The director Bong Joon-Ho has had a solid reputation for some 20 years now.

A lot of stuff in the movie has entered the culture in terms of catchphrases and memes, so that's a good sign. The "Jessica Jingle" and the whole "so metaphorical" and that line, "Nice because she's rich" is being traded around.

Parasite also won the Palme d'Or so this was a movie that was built up and talked about for months before it's coronation by AMPAS.

Parasite is going to be remembered more than 1917. 1917 is going to enter the library of many great World War movies, it could get lost. The Oscars snubbed Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture. A movie dearly considered the best war movie.

Parasite has a special factor, its a relatable movie that can draw anyone in. Totally deserving of the Best Picture win.

Quote Originally Posted by Valentis View Post
    Parasite is going to be remembered more than 1917. 1917 is going to enter the library of many great World War movies, it could get lost. The Oscars snubbed Saving Private Ryan for Best Picture. A movie dearly considered the best war movie.

Parasite has a special factor, its a relatable movie that can draw anyone in. Totally deserving of the Best Picture win.
    And Private Ryan lost to Shakespeare in Love. Easy to say which picture is better remembered and still has a foothold with the public.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And Private Ryan lost to Shakespeare in Love. Easy to say which picture is better remembered and still has a foothold with the public.
    1917 is a decent war movie but not a great one. It didn't introduce new standards for realism the way Saving Private Ryan did with its great violence in the opening sequence. All 1917 has is the digital trickery of making it look like a single take...which doesn't mean much when you have movies shot in a single take that do it without faking stuff (Russian Ark).

Parasite is by far the greater movie than 1917. Whereas that's not the case with Shakespeare in Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Avatar is an example of a movie that glommed the box-office but has had zero to none footprint in popular culture.

True.
    Not many people cared about the Avatar characters a lot of people liked and cared about RDJ's Tony Stark and given Endgame is the film that character died in people will remember.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Not many people cared about the Avatar characters a lot of people liked and cared about RDJ's Tony Stark and given Endgame is the film that character died in people will remember.
    Game of Thrones went from being the biggest thing on TV to laughing stock overnight, and nearly a year after it left the airwaves, people immediately moved on, whether to Chernobyl, to Watchmen 2019, to The Mandalorian, and then to The Witcher 2019.

The thing about the MCU is that it's never really been gone or off-the-air as a franchise for any length of time. It's always been there. So it's hard to measure how it's going to be remembered by the public when the public aren't allowed to forget it. It's meant to be this ongoing never-ending, eternally expanding thing.

Fact is that there are so many superhero movies that come out and so much new content, that it's hard to really measure. I am not saying that Endgame will be forgotten. I am just saying give it time...who knows 2-5 years, leave alone ten years how people will feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    As 2019 was wrapping up, Endgame was already done and forgotten. It was before Martin Scorsese declared Endgame is not cinema, killing any chance Endgame had at the Oscars. Endgame got what it deserved. It's a bad movie only going to be remembered by MCU fans. It is delusional to think Endgame will be remembered first before Parasite, Ford vs Ferrari, Little Woman, 1917, Marriage Story, JoJo Rabbit, Once Upon a time in Hollywood and The Irishman. Any one of those movies could have won Best Picture.
    Which is to say, only going to be remembered by the overwhelming majority of movie-going audiences. It's also considered the culmination of the entire MCU to date which gives it even more of a boost.
    Power with Girl is better.

Because about as many people saw Avatar and people here go off about how forgotten it is all the time. Endgame isn't close to the most important MCU film by a longshot. It wasn't the best in it's two parter (Infinity War was). As time goes on, Endgame will get lost in the shuffle. I could see OUATIH going down as a Tarantino classic up there with any of them, Parasite being renowned for it's massive achievment, and Irishman being remembered for being the final piece of his Deniro gangster epics.
    People here going off about how a movie is forgotten is usually a pretty good indication that it is well remembered.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I know more about judging Sound Editing and Mixing than I do about Best Director. I don't understand how half of the nominees get Best Director nominations and what doesn't.
    Ohhhh... let me pick your brain on this. I've never understood why Sound Editing and South Mixing are two separate Oscars, but Hair AND Make-up gets combined (even though that's very clearly two different things). What is the difference between editing and mixing, and couldn't the same team (in theory) do it?

There are a lot of quiet/talky movies that get Best Director nominations. Where it seems like the strength of the picture is in the script and the acting performance and the director doesn't have to do that much if the cast is talented enough. The last movie where I felt I understood why it won best Director was "La La Land". It had a mixture of crazy, big musical numbers, and beautifully quiet shots.
    BOTH are very difficult. BOTH take vision. As Revolutionary Jack rightly pointed out pacing, structure, tone, imagination... you can't rely on gimmicks, you can't rely on easy tricks to make the scene look better than it is; directing a drama is HARD! And add to that, often the best directing you don't notice... that's the trick. Director's who put in "I'm directing" moments often don't impress me.

I would have given Avengers:Endgame a best director nomination just because of the scope of the movie alone.
    But that's not down to the director, that's down to Disney. It's the finalisation of a well constructed plan before they even knew who would be directing this.

Avengers Endgame might deserve a Best Picture nomination, but Best Director...probably not. For an action movie and an effects movie, and most of that not decided by the director (unlike say Lucas on Star Wars who got nominated, Cameron on Titanic and Avatar, and George Miller on Fury Road), it would be hard to make a case for nominating the Russos.
    I would not have been against it getting a Best Picture nom. It's 'as deserving as' Joker (2019); and more deserving than Black Panther (2018).

Because about as many people saw Avatar and people here go off about how forgotten it is all the time. Endgame isn't close to the most important MCU film by a longshot. It wasn't the best in it's two parter (Infinity War was). As time goes on, Endgame will get lost in the shuffle. I could see OUATIH going down as a Tarantino classic up there with any of them, Parasite being renowned for it's massive achievment, and Irishman being remembered for being the final piece of his Deniro gangster epics.
    I agree with this, overtime things in a franchise do blend into one, and rob the individuality of a film. Lots of stuff in the Harry Potter films... happen... at some point. I'm already mistaking certain things in Endgame as being in Infinity Wars.

I meannnnnnnn... that might be going a little far. Let's remember The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951), War of the Worlds (1953), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), Solaris (1968), Planet of the Apes (1968). And this is just off the top of my head. Destination Moon (1951) was the first sci-fi film to win an Oscar (for Best Special Effects), and was also nominated for Best Art Direction. Fantastic Voyage (1966) was up for 5 Oscars!!! Including Cinematography and Best Editing. Logan's Run (1976) won Best Visual Effects and was nominated for Cinematography and Art Direction. 2001: A Spacey Odyssey (1968), was up for 4 Oscars (including Best Director and Best Original Screenplay). You'd also had Doctor Who, Star Trek... let's not act like sci-fi wasn't already a huge part of cinema.

EVEN THE SAME YEAR AS STAR WARS Close Encounter of the Third Kind (1977) was up for 8 Oscars; including Best Picture, Director, Supporting Actress.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 02-14-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Apples and oranges, IMHO; the MCU has already made a massive footprint. Fair enough, as you did later explain, that we don't know yet what kind of legacy the MCU will leave once it finishes, but I think it's safe to say that it has good chances of lasting a la Star Wars.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)