Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Are those the characters that are going to be used the entire series or will they be swapping in and out other characters?
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Did Bishop and Deathbird have a kid in one of those AU books?
    this one: Aliyah Bishop from X-Men: The End.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Are those the characters that are going to be used the entire series or will they be swapping in and out other characters?
    We know Reed's in it, so I think Busiek can probably (and will probably) use the entire Marvel Universe.

It sounds like a lot of characters are in it.

The whole idea of THE MARVELS is to be able to use the whole Marvel Universe—not just all the characters in it, but all the history of it. The sweeping scope of the whole thing. I think I described it to Tom Brevoort as something like a Tom Clancy thriller, in that there would be multiple threads of story going on, and those threads could come together and split apart again, or maybe never even meet—there could be characters involved in a story that do something important but never meet the other characters in the story, which will very much be the case in the opening storyline, at least.

Big stuff can happen in the Marvel Universe, but we usually see it confined largely to the Avengers in AVENGERS, to the FF in FANTASTIC FOUR, and so on. THE MARVELS is intended as a freewheeling book that can go anywhere, do anything, use anyone. It’s a smorgasbord of Marvel heroes and history.
    It’s not a team. It’s a concept, or a universe, depending on how you look at it. THE MARVELS features the marvels—all the many and varied characters of the Marvel Universe. The heroes, the villains, the oddities—all of it. So where MARVELS (1994) was about an ordinary guy’s view of the marvels, THE MARVELS is about the marvels themselves. We’re focusing on the super-characters here, and big, sweeping adventure.

But at the same time, I didn’t want to make it thriller-thriller-thriller all the time, one of those stories that starts to feel like a costume party with an army of heroes all doing the same thing. So I told Tom that I wanted to be able to slow down, see the characters as characters, too. Find out things about them that you don’t necessarily get to see in their usual adventures. Explore the humanity of the characters along with that big adventure. Essentially, take everything I learned from doing MARVELS (and Astro City and other books), and bring it back to an adventure-oriented series with a lot of scope and a lot of humanity.

There’ll be popular characters of today, there’ll be obscure characters from long ago—heck, there’ll be story threads that take place in the past, or possibly the future. We’re not limited to just the present. And there’ll be new characters, too, from the street-level to the cosmic. There are three new marvels in the first issue, although a couple of them are only seen for a panel or so. But we’ll get back to them.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    This is yet another announcement from Marvel that I am excited about. Busiek is made for this type of book. Can't wait!
    ^^^Yeah, he’s a writer that reveres what’s come before and builds on it, not ignores and rewrites it.

So, who’s the guy w. the cool goggles?

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    So, who’s the guy w. the cool goggles?
    One of the two new characters?
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Supposedly a new Warbird.
    Warbird. Really?

Extraordinary Member

Even though the series isn't about revisiting his old runs I hope we get an appearance or two from some of the characters who haven't been used quite right since then (naturally I'm hoping for an appearance by the Scarlet Witch but even Silverclaw would be fun to see once).

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorPlus View Post
    Warbird. Really?
    Busiek came up with the name, he clearly likes it, and Carol's not going back any time soon.

Triathlon, on the other hand, probably has no successors to the name since he became 3D Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    One of the two new characters?
    Ty,
    I was wondering if it was someone i’d Missed before. Busier pulls characters out of left field sometimes!

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Even though the series isn't about revisiting his old runs I hope we get an appearance or two from some of the characters who haven't been used quite right since then (naturally I'm hoping for an appearance by the Scarlet Witch but even Silverclaw would be fun to see once).

Busiek came up with the name, he clearly likes it, and Carol's not going back any time soon.

Triathlon, on the other hand, probably has no successors to the name since he became 3D Man.
    It's cool but I legit want to know more about her. What's her info? Superhero name and all.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Doesn't Storm have a costume that doesn't have an X-Men symbol on it?

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

So basically a big, ongoing anthology? Sounds fun.

I'm impressed that they got Kurt Busiek back. I thought he left this stuff mostly for creator-owned works?

To be fair, The Marvels sounds a lot like Astro City in the MU.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    To be fair, The Marvels sounds a lot like Astro City in the MU.
    Heck yeah, and considering ASTRO CITY is Busiek’s love letter to Marvel, DC, and comics in general, I think that’s a good thing!
    While he obviously won’t have the creative control he enjoys on his own project, seeing him apply the formula to many of the characters he drew inspiration from for AC will be something i think I’ll really enjoy.

This sounds so awesome. I hope Marvel promote the hell out of this book so it has a fighting chance.
    If this is half as good as his Avengers, we're in for something special.