Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Doesn't Storm have a costume that doesn't have an X-Men symbol on it?
    No. Even when with the Fantastic Four she still wore the X.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Doesn't Storm have a costume that doesn't have an X-Men symbol on it?
    No. Even when with the Fantastic Four she still wore the X.
    Not, as I recall, since her original two costumes.
    Image.jpg Image.jpg

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Not, as I recall, since her original two costumes.
    Image.jpg Image.jpg
    That's what I recall as well...the original Cockrum costume and her punk look designed by Paul Smith, iirc. But that was 30 years ago. I figure someone would have given her a costume since then that didn't have an X emblem. Something she could wear when she's on adventures outside of the X-Men like with the Avengers, or now in Marvels (which I hope to see more often, to be honest). Storm is so readily identifiable that she really doesn't need X branding.

That's what I recall as well...the original Cockrum costume and her punk look designed by Paul Smith, iirc. But that was 30 years ago. I figure someone would have given her a costume since then that didn't have an X emblem. Something she could wear when she's on adventures outside of the X-Men like with the Avengers, or now in Marvels (which I hope to see more often, to be honest). Storm is so readily identifiable that she really doesn't need X branding.
    ...Why does that bother you? Even if she goes to other places she'll still be an X-Men and there's no need for her to wear something else. It doesn't have anything to do with her being identifiable or not, pretty sure that's not what was going through artists' minds when they designed their costumes.

BANNED

I was telling someone this earlier.

I feel like this is a Rotating Cast, but I am interested.

Definitely checking this out for Kurt Busiek.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    ...Why does that bother you? Even if she goes to other places she'll still be an X-Men and there's no need for her to wear something else. It doesn't have anything to do with her being identifiable or not, pretty sure that's not what was going through artists' minds when they designed their costumes.
    Why does it bother you that it bothers me?

Seriously, I have always been a huge proponent of certain X-characters leaving the X-universe in the rear view permanently to elevate their platforms. That includes Storm, Jean Grey, and a few others. Giving her an individual costume, as opposed to the branded variety, is a baby step that I'd like to see.

Why does it bother you that it bothers me?

Seriously, I have always been a huge proponent of certain X-characters leaving the X-universe in the rear view permanently to elevate their platforms. That includes Storm, Jean Grey, and a few others. Giving her an individual costume, as opposed to the branded variety, is a baby step that I'd like to see.
    I’ve always wanted certain X characters to do their own thing, too.
    To me, Beast will always be better as an Avenger for example.

Iceman and Angel have branched out and become Champions then Defenders (w. Beast). Pretty sure Iceman and Angel’s costumes were x-less then.

Yeah, Angel had the famous costume with the halo on it. Iceman had a C where the X would usually be, which stood for Champions. I think they just erased the C for Defenders? Wolverine originally had no X too, they made a minor alteration to his costume by adding it to his belt. They all had it added at some point in the 80s.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, Angel had the famous costume with the halo on it. Iceman had a C where the X would usually be, which stood for Champions. I think they just erased the C for Defenders? Wolverine originally had no X too, they made a minor alteration to his costume by adding it to his belt. They all had it added at some point in the 80s.
    ^^^thanks for confirming;
    I knew Angel had the halo for most of his career, but was blanking on Bobby!

For the record, I liked when the X-Men all had no X on their suits. The classic school uniform was something new mutants (no pun intended) could wear, and be a nice callback, but characters like Gambit, Forge, Bishop etc. really had no reason to plaster X on themselves, as they came onto the team already well into their identities.

Editorial though, I get it.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Isn't the M.O. of the Marauders plausible deniability for the X-Men/Krakoa? Wearing a big X on your belt would seem to toss that out the window.

^^^ha, great point!

THE MARVELS #2
    KURT BUSIEK (W) • YILDIRAY CINAR (A) • Cover by ALEX ROSS
    Variant cover by Dan Panosian
    Aero. The Punisher. The Black Cat. Melinda May. The Terrible Tinkerer. And more.
    There’s an aftermath in Manhattan, after the explosion in our first issue — and a crisis in the nation of Siancong as things go from bad to worse. And amid all that, meet Kevin Schumer, an ordinary guy with some big secrets...and see more of the mysterious Threadneedle and the role he’ll play in our building epic. Marvel’s most wide-ranging thriller continues, from Kurt (MARVELS) Busiek and Yildiray (X-MEN) Cinar. And you’ll never guess where we go next.
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Melinda May? This is casting a wide net .