Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    I would not rule out a continuation of "Force Works", particularly with Rosenberg as writer. Are any of the characters slated to show up in the movies?
    War Machine is already in the movies, and Quake and Mockingbird are in Agents of SHIELD (which, since it preceeds Disney+, makes it unlikely but not impossible that they'll show up in the movies). US Agent is slated for Falcon and the Winter Soldier on Disney+, so whether or not he eventually makes it to the movies is anyone's guess at this point.

Mighty Member

Rescue 2020 #1:

The plot of this series is that Pepper is trying to secure Tony Stark's parental DNA....to uh...clone him a new body? (Apparently, they do not have any DNA samples from Tony....at all?)

There is a throwaway line (in reference to the Rescue suit's AI being based on Happy Hogan) about how a computer program cannot replace a person, which is how this series will play to the main premise of "Iron Man 2020" (what makes someone/thing human?). The art is middling to flat.

I am guessing that this tie-in series will either end with the reveal that Tony's Bendis-era parents are not his parents, or will set up for that reveal in the main series.

Probably the weakest of the tie-ins thus far. The upcoming one-shots might change that however.

War Machine is already in the movies, and Quake and Mockingbird are in Agents of SHIELD (which, since it preceeds Disney+, makes it unlikely but not impossible that they'll show up in the movies).
    Is Cheadle sticking around?

Why does "Agents of SHIELD" pre-dating DisneyPlus matter? Is there a licensing issue? (Disney owns ABC? I thought that would solve any issues.)

Regardless, is sounds like enough of the characters have media support. I suspect that "Force Works", or something similar, will be around for some time.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Is Cheadle sticking around?
    I believe so. He's shown support for a War Machine movie/show.

Why does "Agents of SHIELD" pre-dating DisneyPlus matter? Is there a licensing issue? (Disney owns ABC? I thought that would solve any issues.)
    No licensing issue afaik, there just doesn't seem to be any interest. Agents of SHIELD has references to the movies, but it doesn't go in both directions.

SHIELD has ended up with a major continuity mistake too. They had a one year time skip after the release of Avengers Infinity War. The next season aired after Endgame was also released but was made beforehand... and they didn't know there was a FIVE year time skip. That means it's impossible for the final season of Agents of SHIELD to take place on Earth-199999, aka the Marvel Cinematic Universe (otherwise, how is it that NOBODY got Snapped?) - I can imagine the entire show being retconned to a different stand-alone universe.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

The easiest thing to do would be to change the "1 year later" references to be "5 years later" on any later releases of SHIELD.

Is this the first week without any 2020 releases?
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I can’t wait til these arrive. I was an idiot and didn’t realize IM 2020 3 was released when I placed my order. I might have to schlep up to my LCS to pick them up.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by milton75 View Post
    It was just after that - this one-page strip from Marvel #1001:

Attachment 93067

That's a shame, what a waste!
    Death's Head featured prominently on the variant cover by Nick Roche for Iron Man 2020 #1.
    I was sure I had read somewhere (though I can't find it now) that he would feature in this event.

I think he would tie in well, the Robot Revolution is mentioned in Clone Drive and the topic of robot sentience runs through the book, particularly in relation to Vee (I'll stop here).

Mighty Member

"Iron Age" (one-shot) and "Machine Man 2020" #2 are out this week.

Mighty Member

Default Machine Man #2

Machine Man #2

The main story establishes that Marvel is keeping the current (Ellis-derived) Machine Man, albeit with some cosmetic tweaks.

While I assume that Gage was making the deliberate choice in the writing style, it is ironic that he used a Bronze Age style to re-establish a modern iteration of a character.

The art is abysmal.

The DeFalco back-up re-introduces tertiary characters from the DeFalco/Trimpe series in the 80s.

If you have not already bought it, don't bother.

It is not a question of if Marvel owns Circuit Breaker. (They do. Unambiguously.)

The question is why Marvel would bother to use an obscure character that is inextricably tied to a viable, non-Marvel, franchise.

All of Circuit Breaker's major appearances were in the original US/UK "Transformers" run.

US-1, Shogun Warriors and Team America are all tied to moribund properties that most people do not remember or care about. If "Transformers" was where it was 25 years ago (specifically, the depths of obscurity), then Marvel might use Circuit Breaker. But, TF is a viable property that is held by another company.

Nobody gives a damn about that one page. Yes, it establishes that Marvel owns Circuit Breaker. But, nobody gives a damn about Circuit Breaker. There are people who care about Transformers who don't give a damn about Circuit Breaker. Marvel has zero reason to use an obscure character that is tied to a franchise they do not own.
    I wouldn't say nobody gives a damn about Circuit Breaker. I've seen people lobbying for her return for years now. Last time it was brought up, was I believe, during the Avengers A.I. series.

And to say they have no reason to use her is ridiculous. There have been plenty of storylines where she would be a perfect fit. The problem isn't that nobody gives a damn about her, but that she IS an obscure character. The writer of Avengers A.I. was intrigued by her when I mentioned her to him. Thing was, he had no recollection of the character at all.

All she needs is one good appearance, and she's back. I actually have an awesome MU story in my head concerning her, but....I don't work for Marvel.

Force Works finished. Any thoughts?

2020 Ironheart concludes tomorrow.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Well, that was the only thing I read from this event or whatever it is. It wasn't anything special but I did enjoy seeing Rhodes and Walker in a team together.

If it continues it could well take the place of Thunderbolts and/or Secret Avengers. I would like to see a better creative team though.

Astonishing Member

Marvel made an special issue of "Amazing Spider-Man" after September 11st. Now, 2020 has been "eclipsed" by another disaster, the Global Pandemic. Do you think there should be a reference to it in the comics? I mean, I can't stop thinking Arno Stark's arrogance made him ignore the Global Pandemic and instead focus Iron Man's resources in another problems, which could actually be his downfall and the key for Tony to return to business.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Marvel made an special issue of "Amazing Spider-Man" after September 11st. Now, 2020 has been "eclipsed" by another disaster, the Global Pandemic. Do you think there should be a reference to it in the comics? I mean, I can't stop thinking Arno Stark's arrogance made him ignore the Global Pandemic and instead focus Iron Man's resources in another problems, which could actually be his downfall and the key for Tony to return to business.
    We should see the influence of current events on new stories next year, since the rest of this year is mostly delayed stuff.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Default Rescue #2

I will never understand the obsession people have with seeing current events referenced in comics,especially when current events would not make sense in those comics.

As for Circuit Breaker, why would Marvel/Disney waste that "one good story" to push an obscure character that is inextricably connected to a property they do not own or make money from? And,why is it even a question?

2020 Ironheart concludes tomorrow.
    Were those the only two digital exclusives?

2020 Rescue #2:

This was...bad. The art is better than the Machine Man tie in. But, the plot could (and probably should) have been resolved as a side plot in the main "Iron Man 2020" series.

Pepper's side quest makes little sense. (Nobody at Stark could find one of Tony's old toothbrushes?) And, the execution reads like a draft.

Avoid "2020 Rescue".