Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Switchroo: Yellow Lanterns and Heralds

Plot Gods make it so Sinestro and the Yellow Lanterns get exiled in 616 Marvel. Meanwhile, all Heralds of Galactus get sent to current DC universe.

If there's some question of the Power Rings functioning properly in 616, Plot Gods grant that they do. Same with Heralds and Power Cosmic, if that's an issue.

Comment on any developments you think are interesting. For example, what happens when the human Yellow Lanterns drop by 616-Earth (I think Jonathan Crane is one, possibly others). What happens to the cosmic balance of power in either universe?

Does the Parallax entity necessarily come through with the rings? What happens if the Yellow Lanterns summon or recreate him?

If you want to concentrate your answer on only a few characters, like Silver Surfer flying around the DC universe, go ahead and do that. Choose whatever aspects of the scenario grab you, if any.

Bonus question: They fight. All Yellow Lanterns vs all Heralds of Galactus. Outer space battle, arena rules.

Heralds are faster on the draw, and ALL of the heralds include things like the Destroyer and current Thor.

(though admittedly for all the hype I have no idea how strong this new Thor is).

Are there enough Yellows to offset the power gap. I can only think of like... Sinesteo, Mongul, and Parralax.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Heralds are faster on the draw, and ALL of the heralds include things like the Destroyer and current Thor.

(though admittedly for all the hype I have no idea how strong this new Thor is).

Are there enough Yellows to offset the power gap. I can only think of like... Sinesteo, Mongul, and Parralax.
    Whoops! OP wasn't clear.

If someone was a Yellow Lantern back when that was a big thing, they get a ring again and are transported to 616.

So I meant the entire Yellow Lantern Corps at it's height.

Sorry if not clear enough.

the Destroyer
    Is the Destroyer an actual independent entity? Wasn't it only a shell animated by some of Galactus' life force?

I'm unclear if we should count the Destroyer or not in this scenario. My inclination is to say no, but answer however you think best.
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-10-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Where's, Captain Morgan when you need him.

No not that one.

The one with an excyclopedic knowledge of Lanterns. Who may or may not be a possessed bottle of rum.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Current Super Thor also is supposedly channeling whatever the Odin Force is capable of these days.

He ignored an eye blast from Galactus and then smashed his fingers off. Buuuut Galactus was SUPER weak. Like weaker then he's ever been, almost. Dude was all disheveled and missing an arm before the scuffle. So, huge asterisk there.

Anyways, looks like Super Thor is moments away from smacking around BRB. That might give us a more consistent benchmark.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

So the thing this isn't an equivalent exchange. You're talking about trading maybe a few dozen heralds for thousands of people in their power bracket working together as a totalitarian police force. Without Galactus in the picture, the heralds are just going to scatter to the cosmos and do their own thing. Surfer flies around doing space Jesus stuff and probably teams up with the GLC. Stardust tries to kill herself repeatedly since she doesn't have Galactus to worship. Morg and Terrax try to kill each other and whoever survives conquers some remote planet. The Destroyer falls inert and drifts through space until Hank Henshaw or someone finds it and hijinks ensue. Golden Oldie opens a homeless shelter and feeds everyone cosmic wheat cakes. Air Walker gets blown up.

The Sinestro Corp...that is something else. First off, if this everyone whoever had a ring, chaos ensues as multiple people try to assert control, most notably Mongul. Sinestro puts them all down eventually and establishes control, figures out the power standings of the universe, and then tries to instill order without pissing off Galactus types. This leads to some pretty shitty tyranny, but Sinestro is also willing to pledge his forces to protect the universe as a whole when it comes to the big cosmic events. So that is a lot more raw power to push back things like the Cancerverse or Annihilation Wave.

DC is impacted more by who it lost than who it gained, IMO, as the Sinestro Corp at its peak included Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Black Adam.The Trinity is a huge part of both the social order of the DC Earth and the literal cosmic order of the universe. Losing them is gonna mess stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    the Sinestro Corp at its peak included Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Black Adam.
    This I did not know.

Bats and Adam, I get.

Supes and Di aren't really fear-based characters though, so would not have expected.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    This I did not know.

Bats and Adam, I get.

Supes and Di aren't really fear-based characters though, so would not have expected.
    Peak Sinestro involved him saving the universe by recruiting a bunch of Earth's mightiest to stop some cosmic threat or another.

To address the Bonus Question:

The Sinestro Corps wins. Not without tremendous losses, but a victory is a victory.

Even without the weird one offs in their ranks (Superman etc), it's just too much firepower. I can see the Heralds, led by Norrin, leading a devastating blitzkrieg into the heart of the Corps, smashing through rookies and generally cutting a swath of destruction wherever they go. But every second that goes by starts to favor the ring slingers, as veterans start pooling their powers, establishing defensive lines, pre programming their rings with auto instructions and generally fortifying around their Battery and Ranx.

Eventually the weaker Heralds start getting picked off. Destroyer and Norrin are the last to fall. Destroyer due to its absurd physical stats and Norrin because of his sheer speed and versatility. They are mighty, but eventually Norrin falls into some sort of auto programming defensive option and the Armor gets transmuted or trapped in some sort of makeshift prison.

Sinestro Corpsmen litter the stars as tales of the battle live on in legend, but it favors the DC residents. They had something like 7000 soldiers at their peak, spread out over many many parsecs.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

So I guess my thing is...

Ah, arena rules despite the setting.

At this point Silver Surfer's feats are just plum ridiculous; and I'd be willing to say none of the Lanterns could actually kill him though. It'd have to be a ten-count.

Though the speed disparity should allow some of the heralds enough time to do serious damage.

Arx Inosaan

So I guess my thing is...

Ah, arena rules despite the setting.

At this point Silver Surfer's feats are just plum ridiculous; and I'd be willing to say none of the Lanterns could actually kill him though. It'd have to be a ten-count.

Though the speed disparity should allow some of the heralds enough time to do serious damage.
    Norrin is going to wreck a huge quantity of Lanterns, yeah. Destroyer as well. The other Heralds are a touch less impressive but can still smash up rookies in large numbers.

My thing is, when the Vets catch wind of what they are up against, I'm not sure how Norrin is going to break through a fortified Ranx defensive line complete with automatic ring actions pre loaded and maybe some other nasty surprises. Maybe even Parallax loose or some power battery nonsense.
    - big_adventure

Depends on whether or not Surfer can absorb/**** with the ring energy. Have we figured that out

Arx Inosaan

Well, there was also that time that the Corps included Henshaw, Emoboy Prime and the frickin’ Anti-Monitor.

Depends on whether or not Surfer can absorb/**** with the ring energy. Have we figured that out
    He probably can. But I doubt with the efficiency of say, the Manhunters. A well coordinated team in an entrenched position can probably defend. Especially if they are crowded around a Battery or some such.

Again, LOTS of Lanterns die. The KD spread is well in Team Heralds favor. It's just too much though for any real victory.
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Well, there was also that time that the Corps included Henshaw, Emoboy Prime and the frickin’ Anti-Monitor.
    Hm, if that last one is in the Corps; they probably lose.

Though, I just realized that the Heralds get Superman, and IIRC that version of Superman threw hands with Galactus.

Arx Inosaan