All-New Member

Default Some help if possible!!

Want to get my boyfriend a comic for his birthday but proving difficult as I really know absolutely nothing about comics and DC in general.
    He has a pretty big collection of comics but not sure he’s got any new ones since the new year.
    Has there been any new releases that I could get to be safe of him not having two?!
    Cheers

Does he like Harley Quinn? She just got a great story that wrapped up this year, Harleen.

I mean, it is February so if complete comic collections from this year is your thing there probably isn't a lot to pick from yet.

Oh just remembered, if he's a Superman fan I've heard nothing but good reviews for Superman Smashes the Klan, although I don't think that one's finished yet.

Hmm, that’s a little hard to say without knowing his interests and what comics he has read. While I can’t recommend anything my advice would be if you can see what he does have, look and then if you notice a theme like say Superman or Green Lantern then look for books with that character that he doesn’t have. If not that then if you live by a local comic store that you know he goes to see if they sell gift cards so he can go there and get what he wants. And then finally amazon gift card if all else fails.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Hard to say, There are a lot of different characters in comics and all of them have different stories. I personally thinking you should ask what he favorite character(s) or look his collection to find some clues. If you couldn't, and there isn't any local comic store in your location, Then just buy some classic stories which you could google to find out
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Not new per se, but some evergreens are New Frontier, Kingdom Come, Batman: The Long Halloween and All-Star Superman. If you don't see those on his shelf, absolutely consider them. You'll see a lot of them one Top Ten DC stories lists.

For newer stuff, it'd help to know what your boyfriend typically reads or just talks about. Is he a Batman guy? Superman? Does he read Aquaman or did he like the movie? Does he like big action movies or more character-driven stuff? Often times, even film taste helps with narrowing it down to a list of books.

Mister Miracle is relatively new and has received a ton of praise. More of a character-driven book about depression, so not the best recommendation if he's mostly into DC for the action and adventure stuff.

Dark Nights: Metal is also relatively recent and pretty much one high-octane action movie from start-to-finish except, well, a comic book.

Both received a lot of attention so he may have already read them.

It's a reprint of older material, but I absolutely recommend Birds of Prey: Murder and Mystery. It collects the start of Gail Simone's run on the book which is generally considered to be the best that book ever had. Tremendously fun read and it makes a case for why Black Canary is definitely worthy of the A-List and why Barbara was such a compelling character as Oracle as opposed to Batgirl. The run gets better and better and I only hope it sells well enough to be collected in entirety as I'd like to have it on my shelf instead of just my longbox.

If possible, snap a picture of his bookshelf when he's not looking and make or post a list of what he's already got and we'll be able to make some more informed recommendations. Best of luck!

EDIT: Also, if you're in the US and don't have a local shop near you (or are really strapped for cash), try Instocktrades. You can get DC books for pretty cheap on there, their packaging is immaculate and it's the only way I can afford to be a weekly purchaser of single issues and getting trades I also enjoy (support my LCS for the singles, get trades discounted online).

I got the Super Sons omnibus (normally $75 US if I recall) for $37.50 when it was released through them and you better believe it was worth every penny to have the entire run collected in one wonderful volume.
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-10-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Do you know if he gets his comics at a local store and if so what store? You might want to give the shop a call and speak to the owner and see if your boyfriend has a pull list or anything on special order, which can give you some insight into what he likes. The shop owner might also be able to make some recommendations if he is familiar with your boyfriend's purchasing habits or tastes.

Another option might be to check with any of his friends if they are also comic readers to see if they can give you some insights into his tastes.

If he buys through Amazon or online, it might be more difficult, but you could see if his Amazon wishlist is public, that could give you some options too.

There are also some excellent books about comics-histories of DC Comics or characters, art books, cover galleries, etc. that would make good gifts if he likes that sort of thing.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Incredible Member

Someone posted this in another thread and said it was good. All self contained stories so he doesnt need to buy more issues and a fun valentines / birthday comic by looks of it. $10 which is a lot but 80 pages so much much morevstory than a regular comic

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/dcs-...s-of-passion-1

All-New Member

All replies very helpful, thank you so much!

Some little beefier recent volumes that can be of interest:

The hardcover for Harleen just dropped, and while it is a Harley Quinn take, it's a very interesting and fresh take that's steeped in Gotham lore. I think the HC includes various drafts and concept sketches as well.

Man and Superman by Marv Wolfman is a really great Superman and Clark Kent story.

Crimes of Passion can also work, though I wasn't that impressed by it. Wonder Woman #750 just dropped as well, and Flash #750 is also upcoming.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

If he goes to a comic shop, perhaps you can get a gift certificate-- it's my wife's solution, and it does allow me to pick out stuff I wouldn't otherwise get.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet