Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 126
  1. #76

    Default

    I think Piotr was about 16 or 17 in Giant Size #1, and is only in his mid 20's at most now. I think the more senior X-Men like Cyclops and Storm are still barely 30. It's a sliding timescale. It's only been like 10-13 years for their whole history(from 1963).

    I think you can be a globe/dimension/timehopping superhero and still not be 'Americanized' after 7-8 years. I think most of the X-Men would still have a lot of their cultural heritage at the forefront of their personalities because they are living/working with such a diverse group of peers; there really isn't a 'normal' to conform to(other than being an X-Man).

    A character like Piotr suffers more from writers not knowing what to do with him in the narrative, moreso than him being Russian. I mean, not even Claremont really did much with Colossus, in the grand scheme of things. What do you do with a superstrong/tough guy who is not the team leader, or the main love story, or even the most powerful character on the roster? Most of his stories have been tragedies because that's the only thing left for an invulnerable man: seeing those around him fall, causing him sadness.

    He has been written into a corner, but it's hard to see a way out for him as a character within the team dynamic. Only like, a solo book, or at least giving him a spinoff team to lead, could really move him forward narrative wise.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  2. #77
    Extraordinary Member Fokken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    9,989

    Default

    I was always under the impression that Colossus was the youngest of the new crop of X-Men, either 18 or 19, hence the stronger controversy over his relationship with Kitty.

    I often use the New Mutants as my grading curve for the migraine that is Marvel's age/time-scale since the original cast were all specified as 13, 14, 16 and 19 respectively, and Kitty was 13 when introduced but later when Illyana had a birthday, she and Kitty were both 14, and it was stated that Sam and Dani and Karma are each older than Kitty (further exacerbating their collective annoyance with her identifying them as X-babies)

    Additionally, Rogue self identified as 18 in her early X-appearances, during one of her Carol Danvers break downs.

    So then would place:

    Rahne - 13
    Kitty, Yana, & Roberto - 14
    Dani & Sam - 16
    Rogue - 18
    Karma & Colossus - 19
    (during that particular period in time anyway)

    But again, its pretty debatable AND quite a headache.

  3. #78
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    I think you can be a globe/dimension/timehopping superhero and still not be 'Americanized' after 7-8 years. I think most of the X-Men would still have a lot of their cultural heritage at the forefront of their personalities because they are living/working with such a diverse group of peers; there really isn't a 'normal' to conform to(other than being an X-Man).

    A character like Piotr suffers more from writers not knowing what to do with him in the narrative, moreso than him being Russian. I mean, not even Claremont really did much with Colossus, in the grand scheme of things. What do you do with a superstrong/tough guy who is not the team leader, or the main love story, or even the most powerful character on the roster? Most of his stories have been tragedies because that's the only thing left for an invulnerable man: seeing those around him fall, causing him sadness.

    He has been written into a corner, but it's hard to see a way out for him as a character within the team dynamic. Only like, a solo book, or at least giving him a spinoff team to lead, could really move him forward narrative wise.
    I respectively disagree. The majority of the writers and editors have been guilty of being stuck in a specific time warp with Colossus. With only some of the things missing these days of: By the white wolf and Go to hell (Chyort vaz'me - roughly). We don't need to limit the imagination of writers and editors based on the 7-8 time frame. Anything is possible in comics (with the exception of Uncle Ben coming back). So, enough of the "Da" bologna and treating him like a worker from the collective. Colossus as a character can and should evolve. I'm not asking for his core to be changed (similar to what Millar did in the Ultimate U). I'm simply asking for writers and editors to TRY and make him into a more interesting character. It certainly worked with the Hipster Colossus look. If you can evolve his look, you can evolve the tone and feel of the character. I'm not advocating a full retcon, but the 21st century came and Petey needs to get with it.

    I would love a new Colossus solo or Colossus and Magik monthly.

  4. #79
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    It doesn’t help that his siblings both heroic (and I use that term loosely) Illyana and evil Mikhail tend to be more larger-than-life characters.


    Whereas Colossus isn’t.

  5. #80
    Invincible Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    22,561

    Default

    Mikhail was pretty bland. As a villian, he was kind of just there and isnt tied to any actual good storylines or moments

  6. #81
    Astonishing Member gambitxremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,062

    Default

    I’m trying to buy a original page from giant size x-men can anyone help me or point me in the right direction?
    Thanks

    9A4B2568-3AC0-4A71-AD9E-7B7DCDB27DAB.jpg

    C301BCF6-CC1C-446C-A794-363BC5B29751.jpg

  7. #82
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    147

    Default

    On the age topic I believe in Uncanny #183 where Colossus and Juggernaut have the infamous bar fight Colossus mentions that he's 19 years old.

  8. #83
    Amazing Member Awesome-xXx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    63

    Default

    X-Force #11.jpg
    X-Force #11

    Mikhail back.
    Last edited by Awesome-xXx; 08-15-2020 at 01:36 AM.

  9. #84
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
    I respectively disagree. The majority of the writers and editors have been guilty of being stuck in a specific time warp with Colossus. With only some of the things missing these days of: By the white wolf and Go to hell (Chyort vaz'me - roughly). We don't need to limit the imagination of writers and editors based on the 7-8 time frame. Anything is possible in comics (with the exception of Uncle Ben coming back). So, enough of the "Da" bologna and treating him like a worker from the collective. Colossus as a character can and should evolve. I'm not asking for his core to be changed (similar to what Millar did in the Ultimate U). I'm simply asking for writers and editors to TRY and make him into a more interesting character. It certainly worked with the Hipster Colossus look. If you can evolve his look, you can evolve the tone and feel of the character. I'm not advocating a full retcon, but the 21st century came and Petey needs to get with it.

    I would love a new Colossus solo or Colossus and Magik monthly.
    I agree, for example when in X-Men Gold Kitty walked away from marrying him,that just came out of nowhere and for what? Just to get Remy and Rogue to marry? That was some of the dumbest writing I've ever seen.I think Hickman senses an opportunity and it would not surprise me how close Piotr took family to really abandon Krakoa and take up Mikhail's
    cause, he is not being developed as an Xman so let him develop as a mutant outside the X-Men with his brother! If that means he becomes a villain so be it.

  10. #85
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I agree, for example when in X-Men Gold Kitty walked away from marrying him,that just came out of nowhere and for what? Just to get Remy and Rogue to marry? That was some of the dumbest writing I've ever seen.I think Hickman senses an opportunity and it would not surprise me how close Piotr took family to really abandon Krakoa and take up Mikhail's
    cause, he is not being developed as an Xman so let him develop as a mutant outside the X-Men with his brother! If that means he becomes a villain so be it.
    The editorial mandate to change gold into a bait and switch was stupid, yeah.

    I don't really agree with turning him into a villain or having him wander off with Mikhail though. The best way to evolve a character is to expose them to new things while keeping respect for their history and who they are—piotr has been an acolyte and didnt enjoy it because he couldnt take being the villain. He is basically Russia's version of captain america, with osmium instead of vibration.

    So let him do that. The plot was already there and they ignored it and kept it off screen: somehow he went to help save mutants in russia, got fucked up, got brought to krakoa for healing and.. then? Nothing. Again. No resolution and no growth when that was hik working seemingly alone to help his own countrymen against his homeland government. So show that. Show him subverting them and saving lives and fighting department X. It isnt hard, and it fits with "Red Sky" being mentioned as the new incarnation of the red room from HoX. They just refuse to do the obvious things they themselves set up in exchange for his entire plight being a background for Kitty fucking up a few soldiers with phasing and comedic power dampening (that happens to get both omega levels but not her..) and then her rescuing him with no resolution given to their recent past at all. Its kind of sad to watch.

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoopdogg View Post
    On the age topic I believe in Uncanny #183 where Colossus and Juggernaut have the infamous bar fight Colossus mentions that he's 19 years old.
    He was aged at 18 when Deathbird almost killed him previous to the Brood Saga(which was in-story long after the Krakoa mission), Uncanny 156 April 1982

    colossus18.jpg

    and Karma was already over 18 when she was introduced in Marvel Team-Up #100, 1980, and specifically 19 by the time the NM officially form in 1982/3.

    RCO007_1468902737.jpg
    Last edited by yogaflame; 08-16-2020 at 01:33 AM.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

  12. #87
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    The editorial mandate to change gold into a bait and switch was stupid, yeah.

    I don't really agree with turning him into a villain or having him wander off with Mikhail though. The best way to evolve a character is to expose them to new things while keeping respect for their history and who they are—piotr has been an acolyte and didnt enjoy it because he couldnt take being the villain. He is basically Russia's version of captain america, with osmium instead of vibration.

    So let him do that. The plot was already there and they ignored it and kept it off screen: somehow he went to help save mutants in russia, got fucked up, got brought to krakoa for healing and.. then? Nothing. Again. No resolution and no growth when that was hik working seemingly alone to help his own countrymen against his homeland government. So show that. Show him subverting them and saving lives and fighting department X. It isnt hard, and it fits with "Red Sky" being mentioned as the new incarnation of the red room from HoX. They just refuse to do the obvious things they themselves set up in exchange for his entire plight being a background for Kitty fucking up a few soldiers with phasing and comedic power dampening (that happens to get both omega levels but not her..) and then her rescuing him with no resolution given to their recent past at all. Its kind of sad to watch.
    Aye, it's been sad to watch for years. Colossus is by far my favorite comic book character and that's made me react in anger in the past by dropping X-Men books (Image and other independent titles made it easy for me) out of disgust of how he's been misused. What we're dealing with is writer and editor bias. Some simply don't like the character and immediately disregard and/or abuse him. Ironically, there have been many writers who have expressed love for the character, but never did anything with him. I suspect the Marvel editorial force had something to do with that. I also chuckle at fans who think he's a perv or useless character. To condemn a fictional character instead of the writers and editors is ridiculous. #colossustoo

  13. #88
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    1,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorsify View Post
    The editorial mandate to change gold into a bait and switch was stupid, yeah.

    I don't really agree with turning him into a villain or having him wander off with Mikhail though. The best way to evolve a character is to expose them to new things while keeping respect for their history and who they are—piotr has been an acolyte and didnt enjoy it because he couldnt take being the villain. He is basically Russia's version of captain america, with osmium instead of vibration.

    So let him do that. The plot was already there and they ignored it and kept it off screen: somehow he went to help save mutants in russia, got fucked up, got brought to krakoa for healing and.. then? Nothing. Again. No resolution and no growth when that was hik working seemingly alone to help his own countrymen against his homeland government. So show that. Show him subverting them and saving lives and fighting department X. It isnt hard, and it fits with "Red Sky" being mentioned as the new incarnation of the red room from HoX. They just refuse to do the obvious things they themselves set up in exchange for his entire plight being a background for Kitty fucking up a few soldiers with phasing and comedic power dampening (that happens to get both omega levels but not her..) and then her rescuing him with no resolution given to their recent past at all. Its kind of sad to watch.
    I disagree that repeating the same stories over and over will help his character.Even if he is no outright villain making him a lone wolf or helper to his brother in uniting mutants who want to aggressively take down governments instead of placating governments with drugs is a solid sympathetic take on the character. They've backed him into a corner with the mental scarring and wanting nothing to do with the X-Men only to have him jump in for some heroics out of a sense of duty .It makes him irresolute and weak-willed character, to say one thing and do another .It would be better if he decided to go back to Russia and farm there than what they are doing now.That is why I think building him up to be the outcast or mole and future nemesis is the best idea to forge a new identity for himself.His relationship with Ilyana will still be a little like Marius and Monet and I don't mind that
    Last edited by Rev9; 08-18-2020 at 02:22 PM.

  14. #89
    Spectacular Member Omnipitus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
    Aye, it's been sad to watch for years. Colossus is by far my favorite comic book character and that's made me react in anger in the past by dropping X-Men books (Image and other independent titles made it easy for me) out of disgust of how he's been misused. What we're dealing with is writer and editor bias. Some simply don't like the character and immediately disregard and/or abuse him. Ironically, there have been many writers who have expressed love for the character, but never did anything with him. I suspect the Marvel editorial force had something to do with that. I also chuckle at fans who think he's a perv or useless character. To condemn a fictional character instead of the writers and editors is ridiculous. #colossustoo
    Agreed. It is always tough when the x-editor goes on record saying he hates Colossus.

  15. #90
    Incredible Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    970

    Default

    Not at all surprised by this given the editor hates him for the pettiest reason ever. Expect him to go full villain soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •