Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Looking for alternative world stories.

So a couple weeks ago I decided to start reading Marvel from the beginning. I am enjoying this so far and have got a pretty good amount read. But I have also decided to start the Ultimate Universe because it does not take place in the main world. So I want to read other stories or series set in alternate universes. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Good or bad just let me know what is out there.

I was thinking the 2099 series. But my friend also has 1602 and all the tie ins. So I will most likely do that. is that any good?

Not really interested in Marvel Zombies. I read part of it when it first came out and it was not my cup of tea.

But like I said let me know what is out there. Let me know what you think. I will most likely read most of them anyway. There are very few comics I dont like.
    Last edited by babyblob; 03-22-2020 at 05:19 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

GALACTIC GUARDIANS is an old 4 issue mini series set in an alternate Marvel future.
    It spun off a GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY book that was also set there.

The NEW UNIVERSE titles started out slow, but went into high gear after the first year and change.
    They managed some real intriguing stuff till the end.
    The books THE PITT, THE DRAFT, and THE WAR, are good reading.

Mutant X was a pretty good series featuring Havok stuck in a strange alternate world. It kinda went over the edge at the end though.

The Earth-X, Universe-X, Paradise-X series were interesting but they're not everybody's cup of tea.

There's the Heroes Reborn books which were basically a 90s prototype of the Ultimate Books.

Of course we can't forget the multiple What If? runs they've had over the years either.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    GALACTIC GUARDIANS is an old 4 issue mini series set in an alternate Marvel future.
    It spun off a GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY book that was also set there.

The NEW UNIVERSE titles started out slow, but went into high gear after the first year and change.
    They managed some real intriguing stuff till the end.
    The books THE PITT, THE DRAFT, and THE WAR, are good reading.
    What is New Universe?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

People seemed to like this one....I thought it was crap besides the art.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What is New Universe?
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-148611

Thank you for the link

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Thank you for the link
    No sweat.

There’s a lot of flack thrown at the New U, and I didn’t want to oversell it.
    Figured this way you could decide for yourself!
    Once the books took a hard change in direction and the world was legit affected by the Paranormals, things really got fun.

Spectacular Member

The 1980s Squadron Supreme mini-series is great and has been collected many times. Not the characters' first appearances but the best use of them. A team of Justice League analogues (who had previously encountered the Avengers and Defenders) decide to try to create a Utopia on Earth and start to be corrupted by their good intentions.

For something also from Marvel but a bit more removed from the Marvel Multiverse, there's Strikeforce: Mortituri. During an alien invasion, people volunteer to get powers to fight the aliens, the catch being the process reduces their remaining lifespan to a year at the most.
    Last edited by Andy E. Nystrom; 03-22-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    Adminstrator,
    Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works
    https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php

For something also from Marvel but a bit more removed from the Marvel Multiverse, there's Strikeforce: Mortituri. During an alien invasion, people volunteer to get powers to fight the aliens, the catch being the process reduces their remaining lifespan to a year at the most.
    That started out as a really great book, but it went downhill fast when they got a new creative team and changed the books focus.

The MC2 Spider-Girl book was really great.

Hulk: The End was good, sad Hulk story.

Ultimate Member

For AU type stuff, I liked the Age of Apocalypse, the Squadron Supreme mini, some of the New Universe (DP 7 and Psi-Force, particularly), and some of the 2099 stuff (X-Men 2099, mostly). I never got around to reading the MC2 stuff, but it looked good, as well. And there was always Exiles, which popped into alternate universe after alternate universe, like a comic book AU version of the old show Sliders.

All What-If stories are alt universes.

CF60D346-1247-4459-A38E-E3AE7DFCEC06.jpg

Boisterously Confused

The MC2 Spider-Girl book was really great.
    I really enjoyed the entire MC2 line. Like Infinity, Inc. over at DC a decade earlier, it was a bit prone to replay some of the previous gen's greatest hits, but it was still lots of fun.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That started out as a really great book, but it went downhill fast when they got a new creative team and changed the books focus.
    I've been reading the trades and while I still enjoy the later stuff up to a point, this is a series that would have benefited from being creator owned. I would definitely agree the later stuff is a lot weaker than the earliest stuff.
    Adminstrator,
    Who Watches the Watchers - Forum for the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe & Similar Works
    https://whowatchesthewatchers.boardhost.com/index.php