Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default *nods* Can Master Chief resist the One Ring?

Inspired by BitVyper's Doom Guy thread.

Could Chief take the Ring to Mordor without falling to its effects? Let's say he starts in Elrond's kingdom.

Chief has a laser focused mind on mission objectives, seldom strays from orders and generally is pretty unflappable.

The Gravemind targetted him directly for mind screwing and all it managed was to make him queasy and slow him down.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Being highly-dedicated towards something isn't evidence of being able to resist magical compulsion and so forth. One might say the same about Gandalf - focused on mission objectives (for 3000 years), generally unflappable, never broke from his purpose. He was adamant that he would cave.

Now, if Chief has feats for shrugging off mental stuff, then it comes down to 'who's stuff is more powerful, Gravemind or Sauron?', or 'If the Chief resisted through *willpower* might he fall to the more subtle erosion the Ring presents?', etc etc.

But just 'being focused'? Nope. Nobody gets by on that in Lord of the Rings, not sure why it would otherwise be a pass.

I mean, it's not so much that the Chief can't make it to Mordor, because I figure he can -- dude can probably just jog over the Misty Mountains or something. AND likely get to Mt. Doom. The question becomes, 'Can he toss the Ring in, in the place of its greatest power?'
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

The Ring is just another piece of ordnance, right? He's used enemy ordnance before. How many times has the Master Chief confiscated enemy ordnance and put it to offensive use? That's true strategy, using the enemy's resources against it. Maximum damage to the opponent with minimum expenditure of your own resources. Any soldier would do the same, because every soldier knows you make use of all tools available to you....
    Last edited by Shai-Hulud; 02-11-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Being highly-dedicated towards something isn't evidence of being able to resist magical compulsion and so forth. One might say the same about Gandalf - focused on mission objectives (for 3000 years), generally unflappable, never broke from his purpose. He was adamant that he would cave.

Now, if Chief has feats for shrugging off mental stuff, then it comes down to 'who's stuff is more powerful, Gravemind or Sauron?', or 'If the Chief resisted through *willpower* might he fall to the more subtle erosion the Ring presents?', etc etc.

But just 'being focused'? Nope. Nobody gets by on that in Lord of the Rings, not sure why it would otherwise be a pass.

I mean, it's not so much that the Chief can't make it to Mordor, because I figure he can -- dude can probably just jog over the Misty Mountains or something. AND likely get to Mt. Doom. The question becomes, 'Can he toss the Ring in, in the place of its greatest power?'
    Good point. Total agreement on that sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    The Ring is just another piece of ordnance, right? He's used enemy ordnance before. How many times has the Master Chief confiscated enemy ordnance and put it to offensive use. That's true strategy, using the enemy's resources against it. Maximum damage to the opponent with minimum expenditure of your own resources. Any soldier would do the same, because every soldier knows you make use of all tools available to you....
    Also a good point. But! If Chief was told to smash up an object, he likely would. The Halo Ring itself was a potential game changing super weapon and a wealth of new technology but he had no issue blowing it to Hell.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

So I guess basically this comes down to Sauron's subversion or the Logic Plague's corruption.
    - big_adventure

Considering he shrugged off more overt mental manipulation in the form of the Logic Plague, and handled the Didact being all up in his head for quite a long time..

I'd say it takes awhile before the One Ring gets anywhere, and by that time he's lobbed it into Mt. Doom.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Logic Plague as administered by the Gravemind, mind you. A hivemind.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Laser focus might not be an advantage against The One Ring. Consider the people who were most resistant to its effects: Tom Bombadil and some hobbits.

Speaking of rings and hobbitses:

Let's also consider that Gandalf, who has actual feats for shrugging off manipulation and power that was controlling some fairly strong-willed people, and Gandalf flat-out knew he wouldn't be able to toss the Ring into the fire.

Then there's Galadriel, who has mental battles with Sauron AND saw through his bullshit before, who also knows she'd fail against the Ring.

And that to throw the Ring into the fire requires one to go to it's place of power, where it is at it's most powerful, explicitly noted in the books. All of the stuff that people resisted outside of that area is pretty much nothing compared to within that area. I'm a little iffy on him being able to destroy it, and if he can't destroy it, then things eventually go poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Speaking of rings and hobbitses:

In fairness to the Dark Lord, they weren't exactly around when he made the Rings.

...not that he would have noticed them anyway, because one of the themes of Lord of the Rings is 'little people are very important, but not usually noticed by the big people who make all of the trouble happen'.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

I don't disagree that it'd work on him eventually, but the One Ring is effectively the Logic Plague in terms of function. It slowly corrupts you by subtly manipulating you through your motivations. Eventually causing an alignment shift, so to speak. Chief pushed through that, while it was being used on him via the Gravemind (a massive hivemind/mass of flesh that is connected across light-years); inside a ship thoroughly in covered by it.

Note that the Logic Plague works on AI as well. It's not simply something that corrupts organic minds.

Based on that, I just feel he lasts long enough to dump the ring. Or at the very least make it to Mt. Doom before the Ring flips him.

Arx Inosaan

Sauron: The civilized races of Middle Earth all wear shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I don't disagree that it'd work on him eventually, but the One Ring is effectively the Logic Plague in terms of function. It slowly corrupts you by subtly manipulating you through your motivations. Eventually causing an alignment shift, so to speak. Chief pushed through that, while it was being used on him via the Gravemind (a massive hivemind/mass of flesh that is connected across light-years); inside a ship thoroughly in covered by it.

Note that the Logic Plague works on AI as well. It's not simply something that corrupts organic minds.

Based on that, I just feel he lasts long enough to dump the ring. Or at the very least make it to Mt. Doom before the Ring flips him.
    I have zero problems with him making it to the mountain. It's at that point where I start to say 'Hmmm.'

I mean...Gandalf is a guy who [insert all of that stuff from before about 'staying the course', of which he has over 3000 years] PLUS has feats for literally laughing off magical manipulation of a level sufficient to snag Hobbits, to snag Aragorn, etc. And he wouldn't have been able to toss it in; that's pretty explicit. Tolkien even states that, himself.

But we're into speculation and such at this point. ^_^
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Sauron: The civilized races of Middle Earth all wear shoes.
    ...that too. And he'll tell them which pairs to wear, dammitall!
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I have zero problems with him making it to the mountain. It's at that point where I start to say 'Hmmm.'

I mean...Gandalf is a guy who [insert all of that stuff from before about 'staying the course', of which he has over 3000 years] PLUS has feats for literally laughing off magical manipulation of a level sufficient to snag Hobbits, to snag Aragorn, etc. And he wouldn't have been able to toss it in; that's pretty explicit. Tolkien even states that, himself.

But we're into speculation and such at this point. ^_^
    I also suppose it depends on at what point version of Chief it is. Pre-5... he'd probably fall to it rather quickly to be honest. Post-5? There isn't really anything the Ring can use to manipulate Chief. He's lost the only thing he was really fighting for anymore.

Though... that might make it easier?

Dunno, One Ring is weird.

Arx Inosaan

I'm torn as well. Gandalf is a clear and obvious benchmark and a very solid one at that.

I also agree with Cthulhu; the Logic Plague operates very similar to the One Ring.

Hmm. Perhaps worth noting is that near the end of their interactions, the Gravemind was "shouting" into Chief's mind with such ferocity that medical scanners were recording Chief's vitals as essentially KIA. He can only slowly slog forwards with visibly distorted vision during these moments.
    - big_adventure