Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I forgot about that.

Honestly... the Ring might not even work on him, to be honest.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

let's not forget ol' faramir, who sussed out that frodo had the ring and told him point blank that he wouldn't take it, even if his country was getting fucked up and the ring was lying on the road.

i've always thought of the ring messing with you via your desires, both good and ill. but that's just me.

with that thinking in mind.........i can probably see john taking the ring to mt. doom, due to simple disinterest.

chunking it in? can't say.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    let's not forget ol' faramir, who sussed out that frodo had the ring and told him point blank that he wouldn't take it, even if his country was getting fucked up and the ring was lying on the road.
    About Faramir - he was never exposed to the Ring, really. He was just a different person than his brother; the idea is that he's not a 'Great' man on the same level as his brother (still a leader, but less of one, not ambitious the same way, etc), but wiser. In Tolkien's writing, the one often follows the other - Galadrial, for example, only achieves peace when she finally choses to 'diminish' by giving up her place in Middle Earth and returning humbly to Aman. Gandalf is 'wiser' than Saruman; rather than following his ambitions, he continues to serve his masters and purpose. Faramir had already made the decision not to take any kind of 'weapon of the Enemy' before he knew about the Ring. And when he found out - when Sam dropped the ball - he basically said 'Naw, don't worry, I've already made my decision. Keep that thing away from me.'

It's not that the Ring couldn't have done anything to snag him due to some inherent ability/point of his character.

It's that the Ring never had a chance to do so, because he made the decision that he wasn't interested due to a point of his character. He never looked at it, never considered how it would help because he didn't think it would, etc. And never stayed in proximity to it. Basically it was more of a Gandalf choice - 'I'm not going to give the Ring a chance to do that to me.'
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-13-2020 at 05:51 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    About Faramir - he was never exposed to the Ring, really. He was just a different person than his brother; the idea is that he's not a 'Great' man on the same level as his brother (still a leader, but less of one, not ambitious the same way, etc), but wiser. In Tolkien's writing, the one often follows the other - Galadrial, for example, only achieves peace when she finally choses to 'diminish' by giving up her place in Middle Earth and returning humbly to Aman. Gandalf is 'wiser' than Saruman; rather than following his ambitions, he continues to serve his masters and purpose. Faramir had already made the decision not to take any kind of 'weapon of the Enemy' before he knew about the Ring. And when he found out - when Sam dropped the ball - he basically said 'Naw, don't worry, I've already made my decision. Keep that thing away from me.'

It's not that the Ring couldn't have done anything to snag him due to some inherent ability/point of his character.

It's that the Ring never had a chance to do so, because he made the decision that he wasn't interested due to a point of his character. He never looked at it, never considered how it would help because he didn't think it would, etc. And never stayed in proximity to it. Basically it was more of a Gandalf choice - 'I'm not going to give the Ring a chance to do that to me.'
    i stand corrected.