Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

When I think "Justice League", it's hard to beat the Sattelite roster but my favourite JL run and the team dynamic I like best is JLI by a country mile.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    JLI is my all time favorite comic book run. Glad to see it getting some love.
    The JLI was very popular during its first few years.
    It and the spin-offs (JLE, JLQ, Mister Miracle and Dr. Fate) were all I read for five years.
    When it ended, I was lost because I wasn't already reading something else to fall back on.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Surprised Waid’s Year One League didn’t get mentioned
    Being the Aquaman fan I am my favorites were under Johns New52 cause the Throne of Atlantis story, Morrison’s League has awesome moments, Waid’s year one and The Detroit League

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The JLI was very popular during its first few years.
    It and the spin-offs (JLE, JLQ, Mister Miracle and Dr. Fate) were all I read for five years.
    When it ended, I was lost because I wasn't already reading something else to fall back on.
    Now that continuity has been more or less restored I want that JLI book we were promised before Flashpoint came.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Surprised Waid’s Year One League didn’t get mentioned
    Being the Aquaman fan I am my favorites were under Johns New52 cause the Throne of Atlantis story, Morrison’s League has awesome moments, Waid’s year one and The Detroit League
    Year one's great but no one considers it because it explicitly didn't treat the Trinity as necessary to the JL. Despite being one of the best JL stories around.

Definitely add me to the JLI list. Also dug the Meltzer, expanded Morrison, and Robinson Leagues. Beyond that, anything that bends over backwards to try to get some variation of the Big Seven is just a snooze-fest to me.

Another line-up I dug but sadly didn't last long at all:

608925.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    When I think "Justice League", it's hard to beat the Sattelite roster but my favourite JL run and the team dynamic I like best is JLI by a country mile.
    Yeah I get that, grants jla is imo the best run, but my favourite group was and remains jli

So much fun

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Year one's great but no one considers it because it explicitly didn't treat the Trinity as necessary to the JL. Despite being one of the best JL stories around.
    Three of the Leagues mentioned here don’t have the entire trinity on it to be fair, and I’d argue the Waid run was better because it treated the Trinity as such. It was refreshing in my opinion. It’s hard to have a story nowadays where The Trinity is given more shine than the rest of the League or a trinity member is given more shine unless the story arc is focused on another characters mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Icefan View Post
    *raises hand*

JLI is by far my favorite iteration of the League. Morrison's team is too self consciously derivative of the original League. I even question ranking it higher than the Satellite Era team.
    It's true, it was derivative of the original League, but to me, Morrison managed to get a sense of scale to their adventures that I rarely feel. Makes the whole thing just really impressive and cool. Superman wrestling an angel and all that, Batman defeating a half-dozen Martians with gasoline, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    2nd that.
    It was actually the best in a lot of ways. I hear people say this and it always makes me think... this isn't a run that you've actually read. Maybe something that was read about, but not actually sat down with.

I think it was feature not a bug. Your stories can have bigger consequences when they're not tied to 12 other books. Ymmv
    I've not read the whole run, but I've read a good few arcs. As a self-avowed mega nerd, I legitimately love a lot of the characters from this era, Captain Atom and Blue Beetle especially, and Max Lord is a really fun and interesting concept, but if you asked me to describe "who's on the Justice League," I'm just not going to think of any of those guys within the first seven to twelve characters I list.

Also, didn't a lot of those characters have their own books? I don't know about Guy, Fire, Ice, Dr Light, but I know Blue Beetle, Booster Gold and Captain Atom all had books, Captain Marvel had one, I know Batman must have had at least two, as he always does.

Side note, I just read the issue of Captain Atom where he tricks Beetle into thinking they should be best friends because he lies that he was good friends with Dan Garrett, and Dan has Ted's Bug ship in the fake flashback. What's up with that? Did Ted know it was a lie from the start? I feel like Ted should have known it was a lie based on that.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member

Satellite roster has to be my #1. It was just the best IMO.

I agree with JLI being #2 just because that book was so fun and so hilarious.

I liked Morrison's original lineup, but other than Oracle, I didn't really care for any of the other additions he made to the team.

The Meltzer League is close to great to me, but some personal dynamics between characters weren't allowed to "go for it" because of their own titles... which annoys me. I like continuity, but if you're going to have Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Vixen, Black Lightening, Black Canary, and others in a book together I want to see real things and ramifications from those things go down between them.

Justice League Unlimited was great in this respect, because the animated series gave us some real character arcs and stories based on their relationships together - the dramatic and soap opera-y stuff I enjoy.