Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

A less obvious Buffyverse character: The Groosalugg.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    If you are talking about the fact that he beheaded an agent of Sauron under the guise of truce, then I'm not sure that necessarily excludes him.

Thor himself beheaded Thanos when they had him totally subdued. They could have questioned him for additional details etc. He was totally helpless and in the middle of attempting to apologize to his daughter. Even Rocket of all people was like "what did you do!?" after the killing.
    There's a quite a gulf between 'we have captured our enemy, and now execute him' and 'we are under a flag of truce and I will walk behind the dude carrying the flag and backstab him.'

Not saying what Thor did was correct, but again - large gulf. The one is not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    Movie Aragorn, similarly to how Cap was willing to fight Thanos and his army, charged Sauron's army. "For Frodo," makes him worthy in my eyes.
    In my eyes, he kind of loses any hope when he and Gimli tag-team on a wounded, crippled Orc and take turns beating it to death mid-battle, and then goes on to stab a dude in the back under a flag of truce.

But mileage, it may vary.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 02-12-2020 at 07:52 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Eh, Cap wasnt able to lift it until Endgame and I always felt like he was pretty noble/worthy through all of his movies. Maybe time needed to pass as far as giving Bucky a free pass regarding Tony's parents? At any rate, Wonder Woman is the only one that comes to mind, possibly Superman.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Eh, Cap wasnt able to lift it until Endgame and I always felt like he was pretty noble/worthy through all of his movies. Maybe time needed to pass as far as giving Bucky a free pass regarding Tony's parents? At any rate, Wonder Woman is the only one that comes to mind, possibly Superman.
    I was never sure he didn't just fake not being able to pick it up in Age of Ultron, tbh.

Punisher, any version.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    A less obvious Buffyverse character: The Groosalugg.
    Is that how you spell the name of the beast that was to marry the royal cow or more of a guess?
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I was never sure he didn't just fake not being able to pick it up in Age of Ultron, tbh.
    Why do you say so?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Why do you say so?
    It's not in Cap's nature to gloat or show off (except briefly with Falcon) for one.

For two, Thor says "I knew it!" as if he was aware Cap was faking earlier.

And three, I dont think you can be "partially" worthy. It's all or nothing. But he made it move slightly.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    In my eyes, he kind of loses any hope when he and Gimli tag-team on a wounded, crippled Orc and take turns beating it to death mid-battle, and then goes on to stab a dude in the back under a flag of truce.

But mileage, it may vary.
    Eh, neither Thor nor Captain America was above tag-teaming hapless humans. Even Thor did things that seemed unworthy at first glance (like in his first film, he traveled to a planet that his people held an uneasy truce with only to incite Cosmic War II), but *shrugs* Odin is the arbiter* of what is worthy. But you're right, the mileage may vary. Admittedly, I'm a fan of Viggo Mortensen and dug his Aragorn portrayal, so I might be a little biased.

* No relation to the OP, of course.

If you are talking about the fact that he beheaded an agent of Sauron under the guise of truce, then I'm not sure that necessarily excludes him.

Thor himself beheaded Thanos when they had him totally subdued. They could have questioned him for additional details etc. He was totally helpless and in the middle of attempting to apologize to his daughter. Even Rocket of all people was like "what did you do!?" after the killing.
    He specifically lost his worthiness after that, Thor. As in, that started the decline into unworthiness.

Geralt is also not lifting Mjolnir lol.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

He would be bashing the Night King's head in while others are going on about the power he wields. All the while he would be mumbling "I dont want it" as he single handedly destroys the army of the dead.
    This is all true. Another reluctant power-wielder would be Sunny from Into the Badlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    He specifically lost his worthiness after that, Thor. As in, that started the decline into unworthiness.

Geralt is also not lifting Mjolnir lol.
    Were you trying to quote Arbiter or Tomzilla there? Because we don't actually know that killing Thanos had any impact on worthiness with Mjolnir already out of the picture.

We do know that attacking the Frost Giants was what got him marked as Unworthy though.

Were you trying to quote Arbiter or Tomzilla there? Because we don't actually know that killing Thanos had any impact on worthiness with Mjolnir already out of the picture.

We do know that attacking the Frost Giants was what got him marked as Unworthy though.
    Oh, was responding to Arbiter and more saying that we know he lost his worthiness at some point after. I suppose it's just my personal opinion that the beheading is the start.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Oh, was responding to Arbiter and more saying that we know he lost his worthiness at some point after. I suppose it's just my personal opinion that the beheading is the start.
    Ok then, here's the thing, we don't actually know that. We don't actually have any proof Fat Thor was unowrthy. In fact, he specifically still was worthy when he went back in time. There was literally no way it could be tested before then, because Mjolnir was gone and Stormbreaker never had a worthy enchantment.

I don't think it is unreasonable to guess that somewhere in his two years of depression, guilt, and stress eating he may have lost the ability to lift Mjolnir if it was around. But we KNOW that there was no long-term Unworthy phase after killing Thanos. It was a plot point and everything.

Also, I don't know why anyone would think killing Thanos would have made Thor unowrthy, as putting down someone like Thanos is VERY viking. Killed the half universe? Yeah, Odin would have put him to the sword too. If anything made him become Unworthy, it was NOT KILLING THANOS in the first movie (Shoulda aimed for the head) and the resulting guilt spiral.

It was pretty Viking, yeah. :P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Ok then, here's the thing, we don't actually know that. We don't actually have any proof Fat Thor was unowrthy. In fact, he specifically still was worthy when he went back in time. There was literally no way it could be tested before then, because Mjolnir was gone and Stormbreaker never had a worthy enchantment.

I don't think it is unreasonable to guess that somewhere in his two years of depression, guilt, and stress eating he may have lost the ability to lift Mjolnir if it was around. But we KNOW that there was no long-term Unworthy phase after killing Thanos. It was a plot point and everything.

Also, I don't know why anyone would think killing Thanos would have made Thor unowrthy, as putting down someone like Thanos is VERY viking. Killed the half universe? Yeah, Odin would have put him to the sword too. If anything made him become Unworthy, it was NOT KILLING THANOS in the first movie (Shoulda aimed for the head) and the resulting guilt spiral.
    Ye but fighting the Frost Giants lost him his worthiness.

Most vikingist **** to exist.

Arx Inosaan