THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #20 spoiler discussion

Damn, so it seems my dreams of "President Superman" have been dashed. But what did I get in exchange? Oh nothing...except a kick ass story that seems to call back to the best parts of Bendis Daredevil run!!

Seriously, these last three issues have been outstanding, but this issue in particular has a sort of forward momentum that I'm loving.

My jaw legitimately dropped when they played that tap. Who recorded it and sent it to the Daily Star? Someone working for Mongul? Is he our "Kingpin" in this situation? Maybe it was one of the UP leaders? The Thanagraian rep who was the first to motion for the formation of the UP also seems to be the first to blame Superman for Mongul's attack. You think they're working together? He'd also have the information and connections needed to not just send the tape to Earth, but also to know the significance of what doing that would mean.

Edit: just realized that Mongul totally vaporized the Thanagarian rep in this issue lol

Be still my beating heart, we may actually get and arc where someone sues Superman. Like, a legit courtroom arc. Huh, that may actually be why Jon's back home (Bendis confirmed that Jon will be back in the books around the same time Conner joins Action), right? He might have to testify. Damn, and it seems like Clark didn't fully explain everything to Lois when he got back. And it totally works because, as she put it, he'd just lost his father and his son in the same day, so he was going through sh!t.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-12-2020 at 06:32 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah that really did remind me of "Out." I missed some issues recently but I'm definitely going back on this series because it's always really fun when I sit down with it.

I love the dramatic Lana scene because she really doesn't come off impressively ROFL
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Made me smile so hard when Lana showed up, missed her being in these books. Hopefully steel follows also.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Made me smile so hard when Lana showed up, missed her being in these books. Hopefully steel follows also.
    I hope there's some mention about Lana's career in this!

Pretty much confirmed that Superwoman is no longer in continuity. The Daily Star job is an older status quo.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Really enjoyed this issue. I like how Bendis is addressing Clark trying to speak for Earth, yet people are going to take issue with a nonhuman representing humanity. This could be interesting.

Astonishing Member

I'm not thrilled in the slightest with Lana being at the Star if it ignores her recent Steelworks history. I mean I can get behind her doing reporting again because she can be good at plenty of things, I can get behind her bringing technology expertise to the Star, and if both backstories are incorporated, sign me up. But I like, doubt that'll happen? Yeah. But actually more than that I'm just not thrilled at her outfit.

That's a BAD outfit.

Elsewhere, though ... as a story concept ... I really like what we're bringing by now jumping over to the bullpen at the Star. There's some serious intrigue there for a lot of reasons. There's George Taylor, Clark's first boss, Perry's distinguished competition, who now finds himself questioning Superman's ethics and being a bit hardline. I think it's brilliant to bring in Bethany Snow, one of DC's actually rather notable reporters, into that room. Like, is she still a cultist for the Church of Blood? Because you could absolutely write off that backstory as "She was undercover reporting". All of that is great and I truly hope to meet ... well when I say "Bizarro Jimmy" I don't mean the real Bizarro because this is where the trope comes from. I just mean "Alter Jimmy". And then there's the very notable fact that's only mentioned in ad copy ... that the Star is now the paper owned by GALAXY COMMUNICATIONS. Galaxy is always, always being monkeyed with by evil demons from beyond space and time.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Wait, when in Superman's history did Lana work for the Star? I thought when she was in the news business that she jumped straight to WGBS anchor without going through the papers first like Clark and Jimmy did. Or... did I miss something obvious during my Superman history lessons and I'm one of today's lucky 10,000?
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Pretty much confirmed that Superwoman is no longer in continuity. The Daily Star job is an older status quo.
    I thought that version of Superwoman was written out of the continuity by the Superwoman series that went about 17 issues at the beginning of Rebirth? Both the New 52 Lois and Lana got dealt with there right? I quit worrying about that stuff because it became pointless. The writers write what they want to make it fit the story they are trying to tell, this isn't a bad thing as long as the story is good one.
    The best continuity for me was the Byrne post crisis continuity, it stayed pretty consistent for about 10 years. Then people got tired of it and wanted it changed again. For awhile they DC kept rebooting/retconning/reimagining Superman with a half life:

1939-1970 31 years Birth of the super hero
    1971-1986 16 years Kryptonite Nevermore!
    1989-2003 14 years Post Crisis
    2004-2010 7 years Busiek/Johns Era
    2011-2016 5 years New 52
    2016-2018 2 years Rebirth
    2018-present Bendis era

Each of these time periods had their highlights and when I read them, I always try to take into consideration the time period they come from. Some stories are timeless, and the details are dwarfed by the original conception of the characters, or what the characters became.

Like any thing, I have stuff I have really liked and stuff I don't care for.....but I like Superman.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.