Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast

As a non native English speaker, when I started reading comics in English, especially old comics, I was like what the heck is going on did I get the wrong language what is this.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Context klooz
    +
    our �� werent burnt out frm l%kin @ lil screens aL dA. itz EZer 2 DciFer thN txt spEch
    This cracked me up hahaha is this Claremont writing a Gen Z character?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I swear there were issues where Moira was speaking standard English in one issue and Scottish in another. Since I had random issues I thought it was 2 different characters.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    As a non native English speaker, when I started reading comics in English, especially old comics, I was like what the heck is going on did I get the wrong language what is this.
    You poor reader! I think comics as a whole are actually sort of hard to read at first, especially depending on the creative team. When I first got into comics, I actually almost stopped reading them because it felt like I wasn't reading them right.

English is also not my native language and when they do Nightcrawler, Banshee or Wolfsbane with an accent, I am unable to understand half of the things they say.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Context klooz
    +
    our �� werent burnt out frm l%kin @ lil screens aL dA. itz EZer 2 DciFer thN txt spEch
    ...and Reading Comprehension was a major part of our English/Literature classes. As it was important to understand what the author was saying on the page instead of arriving at our own, most times wildly inventive conclusions....aaahhh! Those were Good times.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    Context ???? and our eyes weren't burnt out from looking at little screens all day. It's easier to decipher than text speech.

Or something similar!?
    Hahaha You got it Dude! Congrats! You've just won 2 exclusive Snapchat filters!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    This cracked me up hahaha is this Claremont writing a Gen Z character?
    Well thanks for the comparison but the sexual overtones that MAYbe in my post is more homoerotic and less lesbian tentacle rape
    Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    ...and Reading Comprehension was a major part of our English/Literature classes. As it was important to understand what the author was saying on the page instead of arriving at our own, most times wildly inventive conclusions....aaahhh! Those were Good times.
    YES! This! Reading/Lit is being taught a lot on screens from Kindles, to personal classroom tablets. I despise reading a book or whatever online ...not just because I'm clumsy and continuously spill things but I think being able to physically hold a book or magazine improves your chances of following the plot and fosters a more intimate connection with what you're reading
    GrindrStone(D)

Extraordinary Member

I can read articles and fanfics online, but books and comics are tricky, especially if the story is confusing and you end up counting panels to figure things out.

Astonishing Member

There are two possibilities 1 Destiny is wrong because she is seeing the wrong Moira.in my fictional idea this Shiar Golem death faking plot may go south if the Golem survives and becomes an enemy of Krakoa. That way Destiny is seeing evil actions perpetrated towards the destruction of Krakoa by the clone and not the real Moira I wrote out a brief synopsis on page 35 of this thread.

The second option is Destiny is correct and this is the darkest story.I think and the proof is in life 9 and 6 that Moira could be enhanced by Apocalypse or Homo Novissima to live 100 or 1000 years into the future but she can still be killed.If assuming her goal was selfish although it seems highly unlikely( as her immortality cannot move her messianic goal forward-she has to die in a life to make the next one better) She realised the only way to live her life in peace or look for a way to be immortal undisturbed is through cloning or Shiar and cerebro technology like the kind Xavier uses but perhaps she cannot test it on herself for fear of no second chances of she fails and dies. So in this regard Xavier and Magnus get fanatical in trying to keep her alive at all costs.Crossing unethical lines for example either mind wiping Mystique or leading her on a suicide mission to Orchis so that she is resurrected with selected memories by Xavier.Leading Krakoa to becoming a stepford like community with pliant populace a dictatorship no one questions.Maybe Xavier will go down that path with every mutant beginning to walk with holes in their lives if they question about pre cogs.Obviously to move the plot forward maybe Mystique could tell Sinister or Exodus that she thinks cerebro is faulty as she seems to not remember bits of her life after her suicide mission. Maybe Exodus will scan her mind see the holes or even see what has been erased ,or Mystique could ask Forge to check the cradle data logs and find out the truth and begin a true effort to bring the leadership down.With Exodus and Sinister ready to help (Sinister to screw with Krakoa and Exodus believing Krakoans need a just leader as Xavier and Magnus have betrayed their kin)that is where the schism and civil war starts.Maybe this is where we are headed that is why Destiny said this island will be the 'Last'
    Last edited by Rev9; 02-18-2020 at 12:08 PM.

YES! This! Reading/Lit is being taught a lot on screens from Kindles, to personal classroom tablets. I despise reading a book or whatever online ...not just because I'm clumsy and continuously spill things but I think being able to physically hold a book or magazine improves your chances of following the plot and fosters a more intimate connection with what you're reading[/B]
    You know the dealeo daddyo. Like, B-Hom...we're like, brothers from different mothers, or something...totes.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    There are two possibilities 1 Destiny is wrong because she is seeing the wrong Moira.in my fictional idea this Shiar Golem death faking plot may go south of the Golem survives and becomes an enemy of Krakoa. That way Destiny is seeing evil actions perpetrated towards the destruction of Krakoa by the clone and not the real Moira I wrote out a brief synopsis on page 35 of this thread.

The second option is Destiny is correct and this is the darkest story.I think and the proof is in life 9 and 6 that Moira could be enhanced by Apocalypse or Homo Novissima to live 100 or 1000 years into the future but she can still be killed.If assuming her goal was selfish although it seems highly unlikely as her immortality cannot move her messianic goal forward.She realised the only way to live her life in peace or look for a way to be immortal undisturbed is through cloning or Shiar and cerebro technology like the kind Xavier uses but perhaps she cannot test it on herself for fear of no second chances of she fails and dies. So in this regard Xavier and Magnus get fanatical in trying to keep her alive at all costs.Crossing unethical lines for example either mind wiping Mystique or leading her on a suicide mission to Orchis so that she is resurrected with selected memories by Xavier.Leading Krakoa to becoming a stepford like community with pliant populace.Maybe Xavier will go down that path with every mutant beginning to walk with holes in their lives.Obviously to move the plot forward maybe Mystique could tell Sinister or Exodus that maybe cerebro is faulty as she seems to not remember bits of her life after her suicide mission.Maybe Exodus will scan her mind see the holes and that is where the scism and civil war starts.As Exodus,Mystique and others will know Magnus and Xavier are lying to Krakoans.Maybe this is where we are headed that is why Destiny said this island will be the 'Last'
    Or, Destiny a character with an extensive history of dishonesty and manipulation is being dishonest and manipulative.
    Or, your assumption that Moira will commit evil actions is wrong, very likely considering that Destiny has never said Moira is going to commit evil actions.
    And/Or, there are twists and turns to the story that have yet to be revealed that change the meaning of what we have seen in ways that are entirely impossible to predict at this stage.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    Or, Destiny a character with an extensive history of dishonesty and manipulation is being dishonest and manipulative.
    Or, your assumption that Moira will commit evil actions is wrong, very likely considering that Destiny has never said Moira is going to commit evil actions.
    And/Or, there are twists and turns to the story that have yet to be revealed that change the meaning of what we have seen in ways that are entirely impossible to predict at this stage.
    What Moira considers evil is what for debate. We are dealing with a woman who is traumatized, who has been hurt and destroyed repeatedly. I think she is willing to do whatever it takes to get what she wants.

With Claremont's writing...I appreciated that he conveyed who these characters were, their diversity, their backgrounds through their speech patterns. I liked when Piotr said "Da, Spaceeba" or Nightcrawler interjected with a "Mien Gott!"

What I think was confusing for some (not me) was his use of the phonetic spelling of those "native" words and phrases...especially when he tried to interpret an accent like Rahne and Moira's Scottish lilt or Rogue's Southern drawl...but I actually liked it, because I could 'hear' how they spoke in my head., which added another layer to the characters and my enjoyment of them.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 02-18-2020 at 10:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    I think if you follow my logic.Moira is not bad or nefarious.She genuinely did her best to arrive at the best possible world for mutants that she fears to lose if she dies.She is radicalised after all the failures and Xavier and Magnus are her Acolytes in as far as they'll do anything to keep her alive.Maybe Destiny foresaw Krakoans resurrection protocols and sees everyone's multiple lives but not her own.That makes her suspicious from the start.Since this book follows real life geo politics,trade offs and leverage it stands to reason they would show the dangers of power getting to heads of leaders thinking doing wrong things for right causes is justified.A real look at a shining city on a hill turning into a dictatorship is interesting and plausible.Though I don't rule out Destiny is seeing something wrong.When she says she sees 11 lives at most I figure she is seeing not Moira but the Golem who I assume is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I think if you follow my logic.Moira is not bad or nefarious.She genuinely did her best to arrive at the best possible world for mutants that she fears to lose if she dies.She is radicalised after all the failures and Xavier and Magnus are her Acolytes in as far as they'll do anything to keep her alive.Maybe Destiny foresaw Krakoans resurrection protocols and sees everyone's multiple lives but not her own.That makes her suspicious from the start.Since this book follows real life geo politics,trade offs and leverage it stands to reason they would show the dangers of power getting to heads of leaders thinking doing wrong things for right causes is justified.A real look at a shining city on a hill turning into a dictatorship is interesting and plausible.Though I don't rule out Destiny is seeing something wrong.When she says she sees 11 lives at most I figure she is seeing not Moira but the Golem who I assume is evil.
    We're gonna need an appreciation thread for the Golem.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!