Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Excalibur # 7 Review *spoilers*

The book opens with the preview pages of Excalibur hiding the Sword of Might and Betsy leaving for Otherworld.

When she meets with Apocalypse we see that Exodus is also there. He’s congratulates the Captain and •A• on their triumph in Otherworld. Betsy calls our •A• on the secrecy and he hands over his grimoires with all his notes and his need of Warwolves. We get a nice data page about them later, too. Jubilee’s having trouble with Shogo wanting to stay a dragon.

We go to London zoo where the Warwolves should be but they’re gone. Pete and Jubilee do some spy work and find out who’s got them, Cullen Bloodstone. After some banter and micro aggressions against mutant-kind he invites them to hunt the wolves with him.

The game starts and Gambit is still being very much a sourpuss. Betsy and Rictor both call him out on it. The team takes a few Warwolves out which not only irks Cullen but make him want to change quarry. He lets Excalibur know that they’re his guests and can have the wolves, he’s going to hunt some mutants!!

Sidebar: Tall Apocalypse is very good
    Last edited by Psycwave; 02-12-2020 at 09:31 AM.

So this was probably my favorite issue of the run so far. I really enjoyed the character beats of everyone not named Gambit. He comes off super unlikable. To is off art duties but Santos is a great fill-in. I actually think his art helped the story flow a bit better which was something I felt To struggled with. Betsy and •A•’s moment was great! Tini has been writing their moments very well and it’s almost reminiscent of Betsy’s relationship with Magneto.

Also, Rogue here >>>
    She should smack Gambit maybe?
    Last edited by Psycwave; 02-12-2020 at 09:40 AM.

I liked this issue a lot more than the first issues. Apoc was adorable at times, especially when talking about Shogo.

My only issue is that the banter and the character voices still don't work for me. And Bloodstone turning on them so quickly was weird.

They're really going around beheading sentient creatures and hunting them down lol.

This was the best issue of the run so far to me, I wasn't really into it before but it seems to be picking up. I still think Jubilee is wasted in this book, she hasn't done anything of note and got captured in this issue.

BANNED

I feel immensly vindicated that the grimoire was given to them.
    rictor: "have you read the grimoire", well cheese crackers and tea, Yes I have, thank you for asking

I enjoyed the hunting plot. It was very fun compared to the last 6 issues. Some of the dialog is a little weird; Rogue saying "Well there you is" made me cringe, and the reverence some characters have for Apocalypse will always feel gross, but the book is showing some improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    They're really going around beheading sentient creatures and hunting them down lol.
    Yeah, that was wild. Like, calm down y'all.

Overall, this series is still a bit wonky for me. I love Apocalypse, and this mage/intellectual side is a cool approach, but it's still not working as much as I want it to. CB Betsy still is weird to me too(Brian's hardly used costume is way better, as well...). The rest of the cast are hardly much to speak about. Gambit continues to stick out as particularly off.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    I feel immensly vindicated that the grimoire was given to them.
    rictor: "have you read the grimoire", well cheese crackers and tea, Yes I have, thank you for asking
    Hahahaha I love that everyone has it but not everyone has bothered to read it. I mean, I'd kill to have • A • grimoire.

I wonder if we're really going to lose Shogo or if he'll get the ability to turn into a dragon in the real world too. It'd be cool so we won't have the "helpless child" storyline again.

Another chapter of "I really want to like this book, but":

Rogue was awful.

Gambit was awful and incompetent.

Jubilee is irrelevant.

What is mutant magic?

I know. I'm becoming the Gambit of these threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post

Rogue was awful.

Jubilee is irrelevant.

What is mutant magic?

My issue is that mutant magic sounds exactly like usual magic. It doesn't add anything to it except the fact that mutants are performing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Psycwave View Post
    Jubilee’s having trouble with Shogo wanting to stay a dragon.
    Called it.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I anticipate Shogo will stay in Otherworld.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post

Rogue was awful.

Jubilee is irrelevant.

What is mutant magic?

read the grimoire, even the book itself tells you to

BANNED

its interesting that rogue's gloves disapear at her will.

I was delighted to see Cullen until he turned into a @$%&.

I'm a big fan of this series and I loved this issue. The Arrako plot is the most intriguing to me so I'm always curious about what •-[A]-• is doing. Glad to see him being more transparent and nice to see Exodus.

I personally love that Jubilee is sticking around with her friend Betts, and she was adorable here:

Betsy about to slap that human upside her head.

Warwolves have just been given a new interesting side to them. This is what I love most about •-[A]-• in this series. Fun fun!

I'm also getting the feeling we may be leading to Remy saying he's done with hero'ing for a little while and wants to take a break on Krakoa.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Fantastic Member

Knowing Gambit's history with •A•, it makes perfect sense for him to be wary. What doesn't make sense is why Rogue isn't empathetic to that *at all*.