Page 33 of 39 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I suspect that move will backfire on the Rays.
    Considering what happened next, yes. Pulling an absolutely dominant pitcher because of a single hit in what might be their last game...

Welp it was a good meme while it lasted

Boo. I wanted the Rays.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Yeah, he’s never gonna live that decision down.

Also Justin Turner was pulled after having tested positive for Covid.

So any word on why they waited until the 8th inning to let the Dodgers know about Turner's test result? Or did the Dodgers know when the game started, but left him in until the 9th inning?
    Watching television is not an activity.

Well, maybe this will mean no more references to 1988 or Kirk Gibson.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Tampa manager Kevin Cash should be given a World Series winner share because his boneheaded decision to pull Blake Snell directly led to the Dodgers capturing their first championship since 1988. People will be talking about that bad call for years to come.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    So any word on why they waited until the 8th inning to let the Dodgers know about Turner's test result? Or did the Dodgers know when the game started, but left him in until the 9th inning?
    Apparently MLB got the results during the game, and called the Dodgers to tell them to immediately pull him, which they did. I'm curious as to how he got it in the bubble. Also, he evidently was allowed to be with his teammates a bit after the celebration started.

Corey Seager won the truck as MVP. I would have given the Dodger's MVP to the Ray's manager; that decision was the most inexplicable and instantly terrible decision I've seen in recent baseball. Why...well, I know why. Sabremetrics strikes again.

Extraordinary Member

Tampa manager Kevin Cash should be given a World Series winner share because his boneheaded decision to pull Blake Snell directly led to the Dodgers capturing their first championship since 1988. People will be talking about that bad call for years to come.
    Heh, absolutely!

How in the hell do the Dodgers let Turner on the field to celebrate after pulling him from the game in the first place because of the test. I mean, WTF?
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    How in the hell do the Dodgers let Turner on the field to celebrate after pulling him from the game in the first place because of the test. I mean, WTF?
    It gets worse. He appeared without mask for the team photo. Betts said, "There's no way we're going to exclude him." Which is fine in a normal year, but this? Asymptomatic doesn't mean not contagious, JT....

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Ironic. The Dodgers won their first championship since 1988, and the talk will be dominated by the Justin Turner debacle. Beyond why he was even on the field for the celebration after having been pulled in the seventh inning, is how he contracted the virus when he was in the bubble. Either he left said bubble and didn’t tell anyone, or he came into contact with someone from the outside who had it. And if Rob Manfred knew about the positive test (you can’t tell me he didn’t know), he should’ve ordered Turner confined to the clubhouse or wherever he had been sent after he was pulled. This is quickly shaping up to be a first class PR disaster, and guess what? The virus isn’t going away, so MLB will have to deal with this issue again come 2021.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Ironic. The Dodgers won their first championship since 1988, and the talk will be dominated by the Justin Turner debacle. Beyond why he was even on the field for the celebration after having been pulled in the seventh inning, is how he contracted the virus when he was in the bubble. Either he left said bubble and didn’t tell anyone, or he came into contact with someone from the outside who had it. And if Rob Manfred knew about the positive test (you can’t tell me he didn’t know), he should’ve ordered Turner confined to the clubhouse or wherever he had been sent after he was pulled. This is quickly shaping up to be a first class PR disaster, and guess what? The virus isn’t going away, so MLB will have to deal with this issue again come 2021.
    Yeah, sad for the team and the fans. It will be Turner that's the talk of the town after the good feelings from winning fade. This long into it, when we know how serious it is, why in the hell was he there after they knew? Wasn't anyone in charge? JT himself had to know, and yeah, it's hard to miss all that, but....you have to do what's right...and sorry, JT, that wasn't it.

Extraordinary Member

As soon as they won, the fireworks began. And I'm not even in Los Angeles, but rather about a mile from one of the big fires in OC. Yeah, I didn't think lighting off fireworks so close to an actual brushfire was really the best move, but there you go. At least Los Angeles celebrated as usual, with some riots. And I'm getting tired of hearing "I love LA" and "We Are The Champions" all the time on the early local news.

In any event, so begins the new long dark. Will we even have a normal season in 2021? Will minor league baseball survive and make a comeback, (please let it be so)? What offseason moves will be made? Who will win the Bauer and Realmuto sweepstakes, (Angels, you know what to do...get both!)? Will they keep those stupid COVID season rule changes?

Between Cash throwing the game away and the Turner debacle, hardly a joyous end to the season.