Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

The show should go on. Replace the infected Marlins with replacement players from their farm system. If that is not enough, then just have them forfeit their games. The only teams should go on. The dugout the Marlins were in should be heavily disinfected for a day. If the Yankees don't want to sit in it the next day, then they should just sit in the stands.

Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez confirms he's dealing with heart issue stemming from COVID-19 infection.

With stronger monitoring in baseball, we're getting a better glimpse into post-COVID treatment and it looks like even if you're young and healthy with mild to no symptoms ... you're going to be having problems.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

After the debacle with the Marlins, how long before players rethink their decision to play and start opting out? Anaheim's Mike Trout was said to have been on the fence before joining the club, would this make him, and others change their minds?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

^^Player opt outs are inbound. Watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    The show should go on. Replace the infected Marlins with replacement players from their farm system. If that is not enough, then just have them forfeit their games. The only teams should go on. The dugout the Marlins were in should be heavily disinfected for a day. If the Yankees don't want to sit in it the next day, then they should just sit in the stands.
    It absolutely does not have to go on. Nothing about baseball is essential. Their plan, including extensive travel to hot spot states was stupid as ****. Canada knew it, and that’s why we have the Buffalo Blue Jays. The whole thing is dumb.

Never mind the absurd use of tests that could be going to essential workers risking their lives every day for, ya know, things that are essential.

Bryce Harper will sit out I imagine, even if he isn't now COVID positive. If the Anaheim Mike Trouts lose Mike Trout, they pretty much have no reason to be out there anymore.

MLB is playing a dangerous game if they stay the course. Its not just the risk to players and workers, its hospital beds and resources being taken up so we can all see a game.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-27-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Among my baseball fan friends, we set the over/under for number of games played before the season ended because of the virus at 22, and I took the under.

We also set the over/under for number of season ending elbow/arm injuries for pitchers at 11 and I took the over, but if the season crashes this soon it may just be 1 with Verlander. However if the season proceeds, I have a feeling Dr. Andrews will be getting a lot of business as the start and stop spring training is going to wreak havoc on a lot of million dollar arms.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I admit I was happy to see baseball come back. But this is a disaster so far. I'm betting they will call the season by Sunday.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Bryce Harper will sit out I imagine, even if he isn't now COVID positive. If the Anaheim Mike Trouts lose Mike Trout, they pretty much have no reason to be out there anymore.

MLB is playing a dangerous game if they stay the course. Its not just the risk to players and workers, its hospital beds and resources being taken up so we can all see a game.
    Not to mention personnel in the hotels in the cities where players would be staying. Talk about a catastrophe.

Trout will walk the second a west coast team is hit the way the Marlins are. His wife is still expecting their first child soon.

There's been a wave of opt-outs in the NFL today.

I expect baseball is next.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Trout will walk the second a west coast team is hit the way the Marlins are. His wife is still expecting their first child soon.
    Pitcher Zach Wheeler who signed with my Phillies over the winter was close to opting out since his wife was expecting, but decided to play after their child was born a few weeks ago.

Meanwhile, speaking of the Marlins, I've heard reports that the team held a player's only meeting and decided to play on Sunday, despite knowing several teammates tested positive. This was proof positive such a decision should NOT have been left to the players who would want to take the field no matter what. Miami needs to be punished for their abhorrent selfishness which put the season in jeopardy, the team and/or the GM should be fined, and if manager Don Mattingly knew he had players on the field Sunday who were positive, he should be fired.

I believe that the season will be completed, even if it means replacing all the major league players with minor league players as they get sick.

If all the major league players got sick, to the point that they’d have to be replaced by minor leaguers, it then falls to reason that not only is it just 100% unsafe to play baseball, but also that the minor leaguers would also get sick. Also the support staff in and out of the stadiums. Bus drivers. Hotel staff. Airline staff. Ballpark workers in every capacity.

I’m glad you’re not in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I believe that the season will be completed, even if it means replacing all the major league players with minor league players as they get sick.
    Grind the monkeys into paste!

That sentiment is exactly why David Price opted out.

Anyway, Marlins shut down for a week.