Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Unfortunately, you thought right. OD postponed at least two weeks and the remainder of ST cancelled. Sigh, this would happen when I finally broke down and bought the MLB package...
    I hope they give you a refund.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Unfortunately the just awful treatment of MiLB players hasn't changed.

I keep hoping that this virus brings about some systemic change in areas that need it, and this is one of those areas that need it.

Well today is opening day. I am going to have my own opening day. I am going to watch the greatest Simpsons episode of all time Homer At The Bat. And I am going to watch some old Reds games I have on tape.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Well in addition to there being no baseball in this worst flipping timeline Noah Syndergard is getting tommy johns

I am bummed. I am not going to watch old games.

I watched the Cleveland Indians #22 from 2017 this morning with my wife. I may also put on a random Mets game later without knowing the score. Try to pretend its live.

That's what I wish they would have done today. Everyone knows who wins Felix perfect game. Put on a random July game no one remembers.

I'd like to see some of the really old games that were originally broadcast by radio get broadcast. You know, stuff from the 1950s or earlier. Show random baseball facts while the game is going.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I'd like to see some of the really old games that were originally broadcast by radio get broadcast. You know, stuff from the 1950s or earlier. Show random baseball facts while the game is going.
    This is a great idea. Is ESPN Classic still around? Maybe they could do this.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

I know... I know we've forgotten about this, for a good reason, but they keep trying to revive an idea to run this season, and originally, they wanted to do everything in Arizona due to the low rate of COVID-19. Except now, they want to have the whole season in Florida and Arizona, where instead of American League and National League, it's divided between Cactus League and Grapefruit League. It'd be 15 and 15, with no interleague, so... maybe a team playing two different opponents in Split Sessions or a double header?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    I know... I know we've forgotten about this, for a good reason, but they keep trying to revive an idea to run this season, and originally, they wanted to do everything in Arizona due to the low rate of COVID-19. Except now, they want to have the whole season in Florida and Arizona, where instead of American League and National League, it's divided between Cactus League and Grapefruit League. It'd be 15 and 15, with no interleague, so... maybe a team playing two different opponents in Split Sessions or a double header?
    Yeah, I heard about this. I have to admit that all makes little sense, and I'm not sure it would work anyway.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I like the Mariners divisional chances in that set up a lot more than the usual AL West!

At this point I'll support any plan by MLB that gets a season on the books

It's not gonna happen. Just brace for that.

There will, at best, be "exhibition" games played at some point. It won't be a season. It won't count. The divisions will be the ST divs. This is a best case scenario. There will be no fans in attendance.

I miss sports dearly. I'm sad the Mariners do not get to trot out and evaluate their first wave of prospects in the rebuild. I'm sad older players might be losing the final year of their careers. Or a chance to salvage the end of their careers with a bounceback year.

But getting all of the people necessary to properly perform a televised baseball game together safely, is highly unlikely without huge sacrifice from all involved.

It's also going to be a while before they call the season. NHL, NBA and MLS still haven't called their seasons.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

I truly wonder how they're going to finish the rest of their seasons. Best case scenario, the window for them to resume is July (that might still be too early), do they just call the season standings as is and play out the playoffs? Or finish the season and then the playoffs? How does this affect the upcoming season in the fall? Players won't want to turn around so quick and play again in just a couple months. This is crazy
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor