Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

I really like Bauer. I know he has his detractors, but as you said, I think he's smart, and dedicated, and genuinely cares about the game.

Plus he's usually not wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I really like Bauer. I know he has his detractors, but as you said, I think he's smart, and dedicated, and genuinely cares about the game.

Plus he's usually not wrong!
    I thonk the hate he gets here in Cincy is so overblown. he gets upset about some bad plays or a lack of offense when he pitches a good game and all the sudden he is a cry baby who is a club house cancer.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I have no idea what he is or isn't like in the clubhouse, obviously, and again, I can see why his personality isn't going to be for everyone. He also doesn't play in the AL so I don't see him during games.

But he's not wrong! He seems to actually understand what's wrong with Baseball, and care about those problems. I dunno, he can be a loudmouth, but he isn't wrong. So I like him.

I'd love if the Mariners signed him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I have no idea what he is or isn't like in the clubhouse, obviously, and again, I can see why his personality isn't going to be for everyone. He also doesn't play in the AL so I don't see him during games.

But he's not wrong! He seems to actually understand what's wrong with Baseball, and care about those problems. I dunno, he can be a loudmouth, but he isn't wrong. So I like him.

I'd love if the Mariners signed him.
    Ugh, the Mariners! They have the nucleus of a good team there in Seattle, unfortunately, it's whatever the visiting team is at the time.

Actually, the Mariners are looking like they do in fact have a pretty solid team.

There's a few holes in the lineup, but mostly an atrocious bullpen is the biggest downfall right now. But you don't spend big on relief pitchers when you had no plans of contending.

Extraordinary Member

Congrats to the Braves for clinching the NL East last night, great game, fine team, and in this season, I think they might go all the way. In another season with their pitching problems, probably not. And congrats I suppose to the Dodgers, who clinched the NL West, and top seed in the NL. Which means a lot less this season than any other. This brings up the question as to how the Dodgers plan on losing this time; in the playoffs, or in the Series proper? And will they take it too the seven or five games before losing, or just lose quickly?

Extraordinary Member

Congrats to the Rays, for winning the east for the first time since 2010. Honestly, I've watched them, and they're great fun as a team. But...I have no idea how they did it. Yes, the obvious things, but when you look at their line-up; there's a lack of superstar names there. Sure I like the rolly polly federal agent at first base, but he's not Freddy Freeman.

Meanwhile...oh, this is a big one. Biggest potential free agent I know of next year, JT Realmuto himself, is reportedly on the market. WHY anyone would let that guy go...especially when you see the pitiful figures being bandied about, (well, pitiful for anyone who follows what those guys get paid), on the order of $125 million over I think five or six years. Angels...sign this guy...and a few good pitchers.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Congrats to the Rays, for winning the east for the first time since 2010. Honestly, I've watched them, and they're great fun as a team. But...I have no idea how they did it. Yes, the obvious things, but when you look at their line-up; there's a lack of superstar names there. Sure I like the rolly polly federal agent at first base, but he's not Freddy Freeman.

Meanwhile...oh, this is a big one. Biggest potential free agent I know of next year, JT Realmuto himself, is reportedly on the market. WHY anyone would let that guy go...especially when you see the pitiful figures being bandied about, (well, pitiful for anyone who follows what those guys get paid), on the order of $125 million over I think five or six years. Angels...sign this guy...and a few good pitchers.
    The situation with Realmuto, currently employed by my Phillies is....convoluted to say the least. For starters, Matt Klentak, our dunderhead of a GM chose not to work on a fat new deal for Realmuto, his rationale being that because of COVID-19 restrictions resulting in empty ballparks and, as a result, no income from fans, no one would put up high numbers for free agents in the offseason. Well, rumor has it three teams have shown interest, including both New York clubs, the Mets in particular might be the frontrunner because they have a new owner who paid over 2 billion for the team and could be looking to make a splash, and hurt a division rival at the same time. Then there's the question of the salary cap which the Phils are right up against, and our owner has made no bones about his reticence to incure the luxury tax. Lastly, much as I love Realmuto, he's pushing 30, a potentially worrisome age for a catcher, given the wear and tear at the position, it stands to reason it'll take a five year deal starting at $125 to keep him in red pinstripes, a lot of cash for a guy who could wear out and/or break down on the back end of the deal, the problem is, with our bullpen an absolute shambles (the collective ERA hovers near 8.00) and needing to be rebuilt from the ground up, I fear Realmuto might well be a luxury this team can't afford.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The situation with Realmuto, currently employed by my Phillies is....convoluted to say the least. For starters, Matt Klentak, our dunderhead of a GM chose not to work on a fat new deal for Realmuto, his rationale being that because of COVID-19 restrictions resulting in empty ballparks and, as a result, no income from fans, no one would put up high numbers for free agents in the offseason. Well, rumor has it three teams have shown interest, including both New York clubs, the Mets in particular might be the frontrunner because they have a new owner who paid over 2 billion for the team and could be looking to make a splash, and hurt a division rival at the same time. Then there's the question of the salary cap which the Phils are right up against, and our owner has made no bones about his reticence to incure the luxury tax. Lastly, much as I love Realmuto, he's pushing 30, a potentially worrisome age for a catcher, given the wear and tear at the position, it stands to reason it'll take a five year deal starting at $125 to keep him in red pinstripes, a lot of cash for a guy who could wear out and/or break down on the back end of the deal, the problem is, with our bullpen an absolute shambles (the collective ERA hovers near 8.00) and needing to be rebuilt from the ground up, I fear Realmuto might well be a luxury this team can't afford.
    Well, the other night he was playing first due to some muscle issue with his hip. What that could be where he could play first, (which requires a lot of splits at least at the major league level), and not catch....I've got no clue. But it was said to be day to day, and that he'd play out the last few games with them watching him carefully. So there's that. Didn't catch what the problem with Harper's back was, but it didn't seem to hurt his swing...which is a great swing BTW, easy, relaxed, and hella powerful.

Getting back to Realmuto...probably one of the New York teams, or the Nats, but hey, a guy can dream, can't he? Angels could use a better catcher to handle their...ah....pitching I guess is what they call it. But his bat might add up to the roughly 600 runs a game they need to compensate for their pitching. Shame though, I do like the Phillies and would like to see that nucleus stay and get added to. However, I certainly understand cheap owners, and luxury tax. Used to get that excuse every time the Angels didn't sign a free agent who could help them.

The Free Agent market is going to be real interesting this off season.

1. Every team made a lot less money this year!

2. There's no guarantee they're going to have fans next season! Or, how many, if any are allowed. Or where they're allowed.

3. Next Year's FA Class is a lot more interesting.

Extraordinary Member

MVP is an interesting race in the NL. Freddy Freeman has got to be among the favorites; he's likely the NL batting champ, maybe the RBI champ, and among the leaders in HRs, but right behind him in the order on the Braves is Ozuna, who is top three in all the Triple Crown categories. Interesting because this was the first season in....I'm guessing longer than I've been alive since I don't recall it happening...that a Triple Crown might have been actually possible. Won't happen, but it could have had things gone a bit differently.

My A's clinched the division for the first time in seven years. Its the COVID year but I'll take it!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Realmuto is getting paid regardless of the financial landscape, with Betts locked up forever he's the premier FA for this offseason and at a position it's generally hard to find that kind of talent for. Even in the lean years teams will pay out the wazoo for the top of the class, it's the mid and lower tiers of talent that suffer.
    Given that Sixto Sanchez looks like he's easily a top of the rotation guy for the future and under team control until 2025 that Realmuto trade is looking like a complete bust if he walks given how badly the Phillies have underperformed since acquiring him(though he's performed as advertised)
    Last edited by Hiromi; 09-24-2020 at 10:31 PM.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Congratulations to Yadier Molina on his 2000th hit. That cements his Hall of Fame ballot.

https://www.foxsports.com/midwest/st...ers-4-2-092520

Extraordinary Member

Congrats to the...heh...Marlins! Yes, they became the first team in MLB history to make the playoffs the season after losing 100 games!

On a more serious side, Martel was a good pick up for them.