Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

Giving Manfred a lot of credit by assuming he cares.

Manfred doesn't necessarily care about the morality of it, but he does care about the bad publicity of having the Astros in the World Series again.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Well they’re not going to the World Series because they lost game 7!

Congrats to the Rays, and especially happy for Mike Zunino!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

I cheered for the Rays after they kicked the Cheatstros to the curb!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

Awesome! Nice job Rays!

So, it'll be Rays vs. Dodgers in the World Series starting tomorrow night. I can't help but wonder how L.A. will screw the pooch and lose yet again in the Fall Classic.

Either way, a city walks away with two championships. I do sort of wish it was Atlanta just for that reason.

Oh well. Astros are out, which was really all I cared about.

Dodgers have a slight edge in pitching overall, but Rays have the stronger bullpen. Should be interesting.

Things I have loved about this season and post-season:

-Games happening back to back
    -Game played on neutral territory
    -No "travel" days
    -7 inning double-header games
    -Second base rule for extra innings

Wonder if any of this will be implemented next year, assuming things return to normal.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Dodgers have a slight edge in pitching overall, but Rays have the stronger bullpen. Should be interesting.

-No "travel" days

Wonder if any of this will be implemented next year, assuming things return to normal.
    The second base rule for extra innings will probably stay, as that was set up before the covid crisis.

BTW, it would be just the Dodgers, and their fans' luck to finally win the World Series in a year when they can't have a parade or proper celebration after it.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Don't under estimate LA's ability to ignore covid safety protocols.

The actual worst thing to happen to baseball.

I know baseball is full of overreactions and claims of "never watching again" but the runner on 2nd rule might really help push me away. It is a fundamental change to how the game is played, for the sake of ending the game earlier. Extra innings are not the reason people dislike baseball or claim it is boring. Extra innings are not the reason the sport is failing to attract new fans.

I fucking hate it.

-No "travel" days

Don’t forget the use of the DH in both leagues which I liked. Living in an NL town (Philly), it was no fun to watch pitchers flail helplessly at the plate. I hope that becomes permanent.

Extraordinary Member

So Belenger...er...dislocated his shoulder celebrating. Okay, so there's that. They're still the Dodgers in other words. Be interesting to see how they lose to the Rays. Quick and easy, or slow like a...damn, what was that line? Oh well, you get the picture. I really wanted Atlanta to win, but they didn't get the job done, so I can't really complain.

Atlanta just wasn't ready yet, it's honestly amazing how far they made it given the adversity they'd overcome. Keep in mind not a single starter they used had ever made a post season start this year, and look at how they did, they had four starters, the oldest of which was Kyle Wright, whose 25. Next season they get a healthy Mike Soroka back, they get a more seasoned Ian Anderson, Max Fried is only getting better, and Wright and Wilson have both shown they may have made the jump, Christian Pache easily cemented his spot as the starting center fielder going forward, exciting times, still more big time prospects almost ready to make the jump.

Extraordinary Member

This, in one play epitomizes baseball.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1317079636111548417

I don't know what I like better, the fact that he had a play ready for that, that it was...that play, and that apparently everyone, including the umps were just looking for his facial expressions to tell if he made the catch or not instead of looking for the...ball. I especially love that the guy let the batter get all the way around the bases, thinking he had a home run, only to start laughing and showing him the trick ball! Dude could have been a magician.
    Last edited by achilles; 10-20-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Atlanta just wasn't ready yet, it's honestly amazing how far they made it given the adversity they'd overcome. Keep in mind not a single starter they used had ever made a post season start this year, and look at how they did, they had four starters, the oldest of which was Kyle Wright, whose 25. Next season they get a healthy Mike Soroka back, they get a more seasoned Ian Anderson, Max Fried is only getting better, and Wright and Wilson have both shown they may have made the jump, Christian Pache easily cemented his spot as the starting center fielder going forward, exciting times, still more big time prospects almost ready to make the jump.
    Yeah, sad to say. I'm a big Atlanta fan, and even I have to admit that though they were very good, they were not good enough to get through the Dodgers. I was sort of hoping for a Nats-like smoke and mirrors season, but the Braves just couldn't pull it off.

Now the only question is whether the Dodger lose in the minimum, or something a bit more. I suppose it depends on how they're feeling.