Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

Amazing to me that after the lessons of the 1990s people are still willing to take that stuff. Hope he gets help.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

So the World Series Champs fired a bunch of employees, (not disclosed how many or from what capacity), having lost over $100 million for the season. Happy Holidays, guys, I guess. And a couple of days ago, Bellinger had successful surgery on his shoulder....for that high five elbow thingee he did in Game 7, dislocating it. I still don't get how anyone, much less a pro athlete, could possibly dislocate it doing just that.

I dunno, but I remember when Felix Hernandez fucked up his ankle jumping up and down celebrating a home run in the dugout and missed like, the entire rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    So the World Series Champs fired a bunch of employees, (not disclosed how many or from what capacity), having lost over $100 million for the season. Happy Holidays, guys, I guess. And a couple of days ago, Bellinger had successful surgery on his shoulder....for that high five elbow thingee he did in Game 7, dislocating it. I still don't get how anyone, much less a pro athlete, could possibly dislocate it doing just that.
    Joint and tendon injuries tend to be a sign of steroid use.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Did they ever do anything with regard to Justin Turner? No one here in So Cal seems to be talking about that whole thing anymore.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I dunno, but I remember when Felix Hernandez fucked up his ankle jumping up and down celebrating a home run in the dugout and missed like, the entire rest of the season.
    I can sort of see an ankle; they're tricky beasts. But...I've got like half his size and I can't imagine doing myself like that with a simply high five.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Did they ever do anything with regard to Justin Turner? No one here in So Cal seems to be talking about that whole thing anymore.
    I understand it was a stern talking to. Or maybe a form letter advising him not to do it again. No, basically he got off with no punishment.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Joint and tendon injuries tend to be a sign of steroid use.
    Hmm, had not considered that. But...there are no steroids in baseball...

Hmm, had not considered that. But...there are no steroids in baseball...
    PEDs ... whatever ... :P

It has been a strong indicator in the past. Does he have a history of ligament/tendon/joint issues?
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-19-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Its "no crying in baseball"

Crying is for football

Extraordinary Member

An ex Marlins first round pick was sentenced to life in prison for a triple murder he did...beating three men to death with a baseball bat. Um....I don't even know what to say. Except that's not what a bat is for, dude. I may note he was eligible for the death penalty, but the jury chose life. I don't know...I suppose this can happen in any sport, but I hate it when they keep on validating that view.

Brandon Martin murdered his father, uncle, and another man with a bat engraved with his name in Corona, CA, Riverside County. The other man was an ADT, (security systems), installer at the home because the family was terrified of the baseball player...with good reason as it turned out.

And there we go, the single worst story to come out of this baseball season. I hope there's never another like it.

I should mention that the accounts, while a bit unclear, suggest he never got out of the minors. Doesn't matter really, but it's a detail. Sounds like he had longstanding mental health issues, and that there were multiple possible chances to stop this before it happened...but it wasn't to be.
    Last edited by achilles; 11-20-2020 at 06:06 AM.

Negro Leagues now part of Major League Baseball, stats counted in MLB records.

"Long overdue"!?

I am happy this finally happened but it is 2020 ... why did this take so long??

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Negro Leagues now part of Major League Baseball, stats counted in MLB records.

"Long overdue"!?

I am happy this finally happened but it is 2020 ... why did this take so long??
    *shrugs*

I wish I had a good answer, but this is Major League Baseball. At least they're finally acknowledging them. Rival leagues rarely get their day in the limelight, especially in the NBA (many ABA players are still left out of the Hall of Fame or, at the very minimum, pension plans), or the NHL (WHA? What's that?), but this one felt more blatant.

Strangely, it's only for 1920-1948, when Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby broke the color barrier that season. Everything after 1948 doesn't count. This is sort of a problem for some players who started in the Negro American League, which had fallen out of competition in the 1950s, particularly when it comes to Hank Aaron, who spent three months and hit a few home runs with the Indianapolis Clowns in 1952 before being signed by the Boston Braves.
    Last edited by GindyPosts; 12-16-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
    *shrugs*

I wish I had a good answer, but this is Major League Baseball. At least they're finally acknowledging them. Rival leagues rarely get their day in the limelight, especially in the NBA (many ABA players are still left out of the Hall of Fame or, at the very minimum, pension plans), or the NHL (WHA? What's that?), but this one felt more blatant.

Strangely, it's only for 1920-1948, when Jackie Robinson and Larry Doby broke the color barrier that season. Everything after 1948 doesn't count. This is sort of a problem for some players who started in the Negro American League, which had fallen out of competition in the 1950s, particularly when it comes to Hank Aaron, who spent three months and hit a few home runs with the Indianapolis Clowns in 1952 before being signed by the Boston Braves.
    That being said, Satchel Paige, Buck O'Neil, Roy Campanella, Willie Mays, Josh Gibson, James "Cool Papa" Bell (great nickname), and Buck Leonard are about to get some major stat boosts.

Intermediary

Mets fan here

hope shrugs eternally