Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

I still don't understand, Trout aside, why Otanhi wanted to sign with them.

Everyone see Strasburg get ejected from the stands today? Hilarious.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

My guess is that they wanted him more than anyone else, and were willing to pay.

What I don't get is why Tatis Jr. is supposed to NOT hit a grand slam. He could, obviously, and did, and got roundly criticized for it, with Machado being thrown at in retaliation. Excuse me, but did the Rangers promise not to score after that? I don't recall that...

Tatis Jr is making a run for MVP, why not simply let him? Trout of course is making his yearly MVP run. Guy's a baseball machine.

Extraordinary Member

The Strasburg thing was funny.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    My guess is that they wanted him more than anyone else, and were willing to pay.

What I don't get is why Tatis Jr. is supposed to NOT hit a grand slam. He could, obviously, and did, and got roundly criticized for it, with Machado being thrown at in retaliation. Excuse me, but did the Rangers promise not to score after that? I don't recall that...

Tatis Jr is making a run for MVP, why not simply let him? Trout of course is making his yearly MVP run. Guy's a baseball machine.
    More of that unwritten rules bullshit which drives me crazy because the Padres were up big at the time. Look, Tatis is a hitter, and his job is to hit, plain and simple. I mean, if you were at the plate in the same situation Tatis was in and a meatball comes your way, you kill it, damn the score. What really infuriated me was that the Padres’ manager called out Tatis publicly after the game in a presser, that was uncalled for, and what made me even angrier was that Tatis was made to apologize for doing his job. No wonder people are turned off on baseball when nonsense like that happens.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Yeah another unwritten rule that is stupid.

I think the big thing was that it was a 3-0 count. What's the problem? A pitcher puts it right down the middle, try to crush it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    More of that unwritten rules bullshit which drives me crazy because the Padres were up big at the time. Look, Tatis is a hitter, and his job is to hit, plain and simple. I mean, if you were at the plate in the same situation Tatis was in and a meatball comes your way, you kill it, damn the score. What really infuriated me was that the Padres’ manager called out Tatis publicly after the game in a presser, that was uncalled for, and what made me even angrier was that Tatis was made to apologize for doing his job. No wonder people are turned off on baseball when nonsense like that happens.
    Yeah, that frosted me too. Also, if you don't want grand slams hit off you, try not throwing terrible pitches...

The thing was, apparently, Tatis was given a sign to take the pitch. He missed that sign, and swung. So missing the sign was the "problem."

Hell, even if he ignored the sign, who gives a ****? Grand Slam, from a young, exciting hitter.

Then for Woodward to pull this unspoken garbage about... wait for it, not getting extra runs when they're already demolishing the Rangers. That is some little league mercy rule bullshit. You don't want to get crushed? Play better.

Baseball is a mess.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The thing was, apparently, Tatis was given a sign to take the pitch. He missed that sign, and swung. So missing the sign was the "problem."

Hell, even if he ignored the sign, who gives a ****? Grand Slam, from a young, exciting hitter.

Then for Woodward to pull this unspoken garbage about... wait for it, not getting extra runs when they're already demolishing the Rangers. That is some little league mercy rule bullshit. You don't want to get crushed? Play better.

Baseball is a mess.
    Another factor: I've heard the Padres' bullpen isn't exactly lock down, that said, who knows if Texas might not have mounted a huge comeback. Just last week, I watched my Phillies turn a 13-1 curbstomp of Atlanta into a 13-8 nailbiter after the Braves scored seven times in the top of the ninth. Bottom line: NO lead is safe until the final out is recorded, so you keep on scoring if you can, and don't stop until the game is over.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 08-20-2020 at 02:55 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Reds suspend Thom Brennaman after lasts nights game. Pulled him in the 5th inning of the second game in the double header.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/08/w...s-for-fox.html
    (I posted this link for those who are not familiar with Thom Brennaman. It gives a pretty good detail of what he has done over the years.

This is upsetting because the Brennaman family are sports icons in Cincinnati. His father Marty was the Reds Radio play by play man for over 40 years and is in the Reds Hall of Fame as well as Cooperstown. When his son Thom started doing tv play by play the fans were thrilled.

I am upset by this on a couple levels. The Reds are my favorite team. I watch every game or at least try to. I have watched Thom for years on Fox Sports Ohio and even during the football season when he calls games on Fox. I really enjoy him. I remember 5 years ago I was dating a man. His son wanted to go into sports journalism and broadcasting. My partner knew Thom. Not well but they did know each other. When he mentioned what his son wanted to do Thom offered to help. He took my partner, his son, and I out to lunch so my partners son could pick his brain a bit. He answered questions, talked about the pros and cons of the career, told stories. It was a four hour lunch and was a great time. And he was very polite, fun, and was just a joy to be around. I saw Thom a couple of times after that at fan events and such and he always greeted me warmly. I mean he knew I was guy and never treated me with disrespect. So I am very torn on what I heard.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-20-2020 at 04:08 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Reds suspend Thom Brennaman after lasts nights game. Pulled him in the 5th inning of the second game in the double header.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/08/w...s-for-fox.html
    (I posted this link for those who are not familiar with Thom Brennaman. It gives a pretty good detail of what he has done over the years.

This is upsetting because the Brennaman family are sports icons in Cincinnati. His father Marty was the Reds Radio play by play man for over 40 years and is in the Reds Hall of Fame as well as Cooperstown. When his son Thom started doing tv play by play the fans were thrilled.

I am upset by this on a couple levels. The Reds are my favorite team. I watch every game or at least try to. I have watched Thom for years on Fox Sports Ohio and even during the football season when he calls games on Fox. I really enjoy him. I remember 5 years ago I was dating a man. His son wanted to go into sports journalism and broadcasting. My partner knew Thom. Not well but they did know each other. When he mentioned what his son wanted to do Thom offered to help. He took my partner, his son, and I out to lunch so my partners son could pick his brain a bit. He answered questions, talked about the pros and cons of the career, told stories. It was a four hour lunch and was a great time. And he was very polite, fun, and was just a joy to be around. I saw Thom a couple of times after that at fan events and such and he always greeted me warmly. I mean he knew I was guy and never treated me with disrespect. So I am very torn on what I heard.
    Whelp, there's a lot to unpack. But, while I didn't see it happen, and don't really know exactly what he said, (something homophobic I understand), I did see his nearly immediate apology, where he did not try to spin anything. To me that puts him well up on so many others. He took immediate responsibility for his action, and apologized quite a few times. Watching him, I believe him, and I believe that he's sorry about actually saying that, rather than sorry he got caught, (though obviously he's sorry about that too). But my point is that he seemed genuinely horrified by what he said, and his pallor was...ashen, IMO.

So yeah, maybe suspend him for a few, but anything more than that is IMO just cancel culture. Also, you know the guy's going to do all the usual things, things that are in most cases just a desperate show to get people to let him off. I don't get that vibe here. And he nearly instantly accepted that he was going to lose his job in all likely hood, and unlike so many cases I've seen, he didn't once try to deflect blame.

As to the delicate question of why he said that, I have no idea. I don't follow the team except when they're playing someone else I like. And I've never heard that announce team. But given his demeanor, it seems at least that he recognizes that he shouldn't have said that. Now if it's a pattern of behavior, then my thinking would change, but AFAIK, it doesn't seem to be.

What he said was making a comment of how KC is one of the Fa# capitals of the country.
    He did say sorry. Like you said he did not put a spin on it. And in the business for 30 years he has never done this before and does not have a history of gay or racism slurs and comments. As a gay man I dont like the word he used but I am not in the camp that he should lose his job nor am I losing my mind like a lot of people in the city are. I think being who he is and who he is the son of may go a long way towards letting the Reds keep him, after being suspended for a few games and a sensitivity training or something.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

**** him. "that's not who I am" ...but it is though.

He said "fag" with a ton of distain. That is who he is. If it wasn't, he wouldn't have said it. And why are you just having a casual conversation about KC being one of the great fag capitols of the world during a commercial break if that's not who you are? I don't have those kind of casual conversations. Because that's not who I am.

**** him. "that's not who I am" ...but it is though.

He said "fag" with a ton of distain. That is who he is. If it wasn't, he wouldn't have said it. And why are you just having a casual conversation about KC being one of the great fag capitols of the world during a commercial break if that's not who you are? I don't have those kind of casual conversations. Because that's not who I am.
    This is my exact thought on this. He said it. That's who he is guys. Apologized cause he was caught on air.

Quote Originally Posted by mikedesil View Post
    This is my exact thought on this. He said it. That's who he is guys. Apologized cause he was caught on air.
    Yeah. He said it because he thought the microphone was off. You have to figure he's said similar things when the mic really was off. And I've known lots of guys like this, over the years. I mean, while I know better now, there was a time when I would have said things like this, too. That's why I don't like the idea of someone losing his job just for words he's said, unless there are actual actions attached.

That said, once you have it explained to you that what you said was wrong and just why it was wrong, if you say things like that again, you have no excuse.
    Watching television is not an activity.

I would have a bigger problem with this if he had a habit or history of speaking like this on air. What a man on tv says when the mic is off, or in his own home is his own affair. Thom may be the biggest homophobe in the world I dont care about his personal views as long as he is speaking out publicly against gays, not at rallies trying to take away my rights which he does not do at least not publicly. Being a homophobe is ignorant and I dont agree with it but a man's views are his own. He gets paid to call a ball game which he does an amazing job doing. What is said is dumb as Hell. i hate that he used that word. And it was damn stupid to say it on air. There needs to be punishment. But I do not see why someone with a 30 year pretty much spotless career should be fired for one word.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-20-2020 at 10:20 AM.