Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

Mariners gonna play a doubleheader today to make up for last night. 7 innings each. Weird.

Ahead of their first game today, the Mariners have traded Taijuan Walker (today's 1st starter) to the Blue Jays of Buffalo for a PTBNL or Cash Considerations.

Not a blockbuster deal as Walker is a FA at the end of the season. Everyone expected Walker to be gone by the deadline if the Mariners performed as they have, despite the org being big fans of his.

There is, of course, the possibility of re signing him this off season, since he is a fan of the org as much as they are of him.
    Last edited by Joker; 08-27-2020 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Mariners gonna play a doubleheader today to make up for last night. 7 innings each. Weird.
    This is one of my questions about the season if someone tosses a complete game no-hitter in a 7 inning game does it count? Several years back MLB purged a number of no-hitters from the books because they didn't meet a certain standard. Should a 7 inning no-hitter count as a no-hitter in the record books? Should a 7 inning complete game count as much as a 9 inning complete game in the record books?

A few weeks back someone was hitting well over .400 for the season. If someone hits over .400 in a 60 game span should it count as a .400 season and displace Ted Williams as the last to have one?

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

If you win a World Series in a season that was 102 games shorter, and had a wildly different playoff format, should it count the same?

If a WS win that you got from cheating counts the same, I don't see what it even means, let alone matters anymore, but that's a different discussion.

Dunno, but I think the records will count. Lots of challenges this year, with general lack of training, etc. There are more challenges to overcome, arguably, than in a normal length season.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

If you win a World Series in a season that was 102 games shorter, and had a wildly different playoff format, should it count the same?

If a WS win that you got from cheating counts the same, I don't see what it even means, let alone matters anymore, but that's a different discussion.

They they should restore all the rain-shortened no-hitters and no-hitters that were losses that only had 8 innings of no-hit baseball in them that they purged because they tainted what it means to have a no-hitter and wanted to protect the integrity of the game's history and records.

Baseball is just a hive of hypocrisy though, as long as the owners and the players are getting their pay day nothing else matters. The acrimonious nature of the negotiations to get this season underway and the hypocrisy from the game this season have done more to erode my love of baseball than all the strike-shortened seasons, steroid controversy and cheating scandals combined. They've all made it clear there is no love of the game, no respect for the game by anyone involved (not just a few bad actors) and no respect for their fan/customer base, it's just about making their pay days. I glace at the headlines still (and that less and less even), but I've yet to watch a pitch this season, I could care less how my team is doing (in this season and in the trades/moves made at the deadline to position for future seasons) and I am not sure I will watch another game at this point. I might just be done with baseball, something I never thought I would say after playing, coaching and following the game for most of my life.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Dunno, but I think the records will count. Lots of challenges this year, with general lack of training, etc. There are more challenges to overcome, arguably, than in a normal length season.
    Oh no doubt the records will count. But just should they. Or will they be asterisks records.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    and I am not sure I will watch another game at this point. I might just be done with baseball, something I never thought I would say after playing, coaching and following the game for most of my life.

-M
    I can't imagine feeling that strongly about it. I love the game. I'm not a record hound. The records are not what I love about the game.

Don't get me wrong. I detest Manfred, and I do not for a second believe he cares about or loves the game. But I'm not going to take this season, being played under unprecedented circumstances as an opportunity to abandon the game.

The records, same as the Astros, may stand asterisks free, but we will know. The players will know.

I was also never under any illusion that money was a motivating factor for anyone involved.
    Last edited by Joker; 08-27-2020 at 11:46 AM.

Apparently a pitcher would get a Complete Game, but not a No Hitter for a seven inning game.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I might just be done with baseball, something I never thought I would say after playing, coaching and following the game for most of my life.

-M
    This is exactly how I felt after the 1994 "season" when they canceled the World Series over money. I'm still not even close to the fan I was before that time. Never will be again. But I've gotten back to the point where I at least follow things.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

As a reminder, this is “professional” sports. This isn’t their hobby. It’s their job, and the one they will do for the prime years of their life. This is likely the most money they will make in their life.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t go to work for the love of it, even though I like what I do.

This whole mad about workers and business owners caring about their paychecks shit is beyond fucking dumb.

My love of Baseball has not gone down at all. Yes the Astros cheated. But I think it is amazing how people react like they are the only team that does it. Every team does. hell i am sure my beloved Reds have and done at times. Paychecks I dont pay attention to. I watch because ilove baseball. it is a bonding thing for me and my mom. I have great memories of going to Riverfront and watching games. That is all I care about. Players personal lives, owners being greedy. Who cares.

I have news for people cheating happens in NFL, NBA owners are greedy, yet all I hear about is how baseball is bad because of these things. Hell no one bats an eye at the money Leborn makes.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-27-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I was a really big Tom Petty fan until he cared about his record contract more than he cared about the company that controlled it.

Oh wait, nope...

As a reminder, this is “professional” sports. This isn’t their hobby. It’s their job, and the one they will do for the prime years of their life. This is likely the most money they will make in their life.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t go to work for the love of it, even though I like what I do.

This whole mad about workers and business owners caring about their paychecks shit is beyond fucking dumb.
    Agreed. I'll admit, I was disappointed as a kid when my favorite player, Graig Nettles, left the Yankees as a free agent to play for San Diego, but the bottom line is no one does their job for free. I mean, Stephen King loves writing, but he still wants to get paid for his novels. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not calling Stephen King or Graig Nettles greedy. I'm just saying that no one should be surprised or shocked that money turns out to be significant motivator in sports or entertainment.
    Watching television is not an activity.

There’s nothing greedy about knowing your worth and expecting to be paid that. By people who can afford to pay that.

I will never understand the idea that the people who make this thing possible should undervalued themselves, get paid less, and do it for love, while someone else with no talent for that thing profits off of their work. This isn’t a restaurant. It’s baseball. It’s tons of massively successful novels. It’s millions of records worth of great songs. These things don’t grow on trees. And they have value.
    Last edited by Joker; 08-27-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Congrats to Mike Trout, now the Angels all-time home run leader having hit his 300th the other night. It was a fish or cut bait affair, as the previous record holder, Tim Salmon, was gracious about the whole thing when talking to reporter Tom Cod. Not to carp on this, but the Angels are still floating belly up like a dead fish...

Heh, someone already edited Salmon's Wiki entry! That sounds fishy...

Far more surprising than Trout somehow fishing out a home run, which he does quite often, was the strange but true fact that the Angels actually won that game! Yes, I know, but it's 2020, and anything can happen.