Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2020 Season

Extraordinary Member

So, I watched a pitcher's duel the other night, Atlanta vs Miami. Yeah, pitcher's duel. The Braves set the National League record and became one of only four teams in MLB history to score 29 runs, against the Fishies' 9. Duvall almost hit the home run cycle, missing only a solo shot. Captain Marvel Jr. hit his 1500th career hit, a solo HR, and had 6 RBIs. Pretty much every Brave who had an at-bat scored at least once.

And someone spanked the Tigers 19-0.

Over at the Dodgers, Turner looks to come of the DL. Betts is...Betts....the Red Sox fans must be sooo happy! But they did get a good one in Verdugo. Trouble is, Betts isn't a "good one", he's more along the lines of a "great one".

The Angels...are the Angels. Mike Trout, Anthony Rendon, and occasionally that DH who used to also do something else for them, I can't recall what........and that's it. Angels' fans look for highlights from one of those three, not for wins.

Padres are looking good. Tattis Jr. is evidently Neo from The Matrix. He did that limbo move Neo did when a pitch was heading for his head. Perfect balance and great leg and core strength; he never touched the ground though he was only inches from it. Guy must do a lot of sissy squats....they're nearly the same move.

Only regret about the Braves/Marlins game is that they couldn't manage those two extra runs to set the MLB all time record, but hey it got them into the national sports news cycle, which is a rarity so there's that. They''ll have to settle for the modern era NL record. Crazy thing is over a hundred years ago back in 1883 the Boston Beaneaters(predecessor to the Braves) had a 30 run game followed by a 29 run game a week later

Fun fact: There has never, in recorded baseball, been a 29-9 final score.

That won't make the national news cycle, but it's still neat.

Extraordinary Member

Congrats to the Cubbies for a no hitter, the second of the season I believe. It also had one of the most hilarious plays of the season, one that resulted temporarily in a sac fly driving in 2 runs, before the buzzkills ruled it a fielder's choice. I have never seen a play like it before. Runner made it home, runner made it to third. Third baseman assumes, as do all the Brewers, that time has been called. It was not. Runner at third does not assume that, and as soon as third base throws the ball to second, breaks for home. Second throws way too late, catcher, third base and everyone else doesn't even seem to know what's going on!

I think it was 10-0 Cubs. Interestingly, the Brewers are where Vogelback from Seattle wound up. Just last week I was watching him with the Reds IIRC. With his career numbers...I figure the Brewers are his last stop for his career. Sad, but there it is; the bigs are a tough place.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Fun fact: There has never, in recorded baseball, been a 29-9 final score.

That won't make the national news cycle, but it's still neat.
    It would have made the National News Cycle if it was the FU##ING Yankees.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I think it was 10-0 Cubs. Interestingly, the Brewers are where Vogelback from Seattle wound up.
    We got him from the Cubs, to bring it full circle for ya.

Game Bauer looked great in game one. 6 and a third innings pitched, 12K and on ER. he was on fire :P
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Game Bauer looked great in game one. 6 and a third innings pitched, 12K and on ER. he was on fire :P
    Bauer may be one of the smartest players in the game. The stuff on how he approaches the game, (and there's a couple of books where that is prominent), is so thorough and meticulous, and so based on bleeding edge tech and science, I'm not surprised when he has a great game. After all, he puts in a ton of work, and works smart. Guys like that are gold for the team that gets them.

Meanwhile belated congrats to the Angel's Albert Pujols, who tied Mays on the all-time home run list with IIRC 660. He's also second on the all-time RBI list after only Hank Aaron. He won't pass him, but he's within 100 or so. Yeah, the Angels as they love to do got him after his prime, but if this guy isn't a future first ballot unanimous HOFer, I don't know who is. For comparison, Trout, another no-brainer for the Hall, has less than half Puljols' HRs, and is no better than 15th or 16th in all his career totals, all-time. He needs another ten years to approach Puljols' career numbers, at or above his average level of play.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    He needs another ten years to approach Puljols' career numbers, at or above his average level of play.
    They are 11 years apart in age.

Extraordinary Member

They are 11 years apart in age.
    Interesting. Puljols and Trout just show how hard it is to get the kind of numbers Puljols has for his career. It'll take a guy like Trout to have a chance at matching them. And that's by no means certain.

there's a reason the players in the 600+ HR club is still single digits, even without subtracting the cheats from it

and even going down the list to the 500 club after Miguel Cabrera whose going to get in probably next season there's probably no one else making it for a little while, maybe not until Trout

the 3000 hit club is similar, Miggy's next and there's a big gap between him and anyone else with any realistic chance of making it

Extraordinary Member

Congrats to the Dodgers for becoming the first team to clinch a playoff spot. Or, looking at it like a Dodgers' fan, they will go to their 8th consecutive year of not winning the Series.

Playoffs this year will take place at Dodger Stadium and Petco Park, (San Diego), for the AL and at Arlington and Houston for the NL, with Arlington being the host of the Series, making it the first year since 1944 that the Series was held in a single location.

Justin Verlander will need Tommy Johns surgery and miss the rest of this season and all or most of next season, meaning he'll be a 39 year old free agent for 2022.

Excuse coming in 3... 2... 1...

Meanwhile my dude Bauer wore trash can cleats today. Bauer for President.

Extraordinary Member

Excuse coming in 3... 2... 1...

Meanwhile my dude Bauer wore trash can cleats today. Bauer for President.
    Honestly, the fans and players on other teams can't trash the Astros enough IMO. As for Bauer, guy's smart and driven, no doubt. I like that in any player.